Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Speakers

Posted by Adrian Bowyer 
RepRap Speakers
September 20, 2015 09:23AM
I get a lot of requests to fly all over the planet to talk about RepRap, which is very kind of people. But I have a policy of accepting no more than one per month of these (otherwise I'd spend my life in airports...).

So the purposes of this topic are threefold:

1. People who know RepRap can post here to volunteer to give talks,
2. People who have received invitations to speak on RepRap and who can't make the date can post the invitation here to see if anyone else can speak in their place, and
3. Conference organisers and others who want speakers can post here to find someone to give a RepRap talk.

I would like to say my policy on money: I always ask for all expenses when I give a talk; if a talk is free for the general public to attend, that's all I charge; if not (for example if a conference is charging admission, or the talk is to the employees of a company), I ask for a fee as well as my expenses. That is not prescriptive; I'm just saying what I do; others may well want to do different.

If a request for a talk is posted here and you take it up, please post saying that you have done so.

The information that a talk invitation should include is:

1. Date (and time, if possible),
2. Location,
3. Details of the inviting person or organisation,
4. Duration of the required talk, and
5. If admission is free to the general public, or not.

Finally, if you give a talk, please upload your slides to the RepRap Wiki here to help other people giving RepRap talks in the future.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2015 06:02AM by Adrian Bowyer.

best wishes

Adrian

[reprap.org]
[reprapltd.com]
Re: RepRap Speakers
September 21, 2015 05:48AM
Here is the invitation that prompted me to start this topic; I have been talking to Ms Wang since she sent this. I can't go, and she asked if I could find someone else. If you can, please contact Ms Wang and post here so that people can know that the event has been taken care of.

- AB

Subject: [Invitation-2015 Digital Art Festival]
Interactive
Installation and experiencing area
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 14:14:45 +0800
To: info@reprappro.com >,
support@reprappro.com >

Hello Mr. Bowyer,

I am Regina Wang, project executive of 2015 Digital Art
Festival
Taipei, writing this mail on behalf
of Digital Art Foundation and Fablab Dynamic, sincerely
inviting you to
participate/ //2015 Digital Art Festival Taipei/, held in
Songshan
Cultural and Creative Park,
Taipei, during 13th-22rd, November.

/Digital Art Festival Taipei
[digitalartfestival.tw] has
been /launched in 2006, operated
by Digital Art Foundation and curated by Digital Art Center
Taipei
[www.dac.tw]. After
the past 9 editions, as the only annual digital art
exhibition in
Taiwan, the festival has earned a
pioneering role and wide attention both domestically and
internationally. In /2014 Digital Art
FestivalTaipei -/"Eco-
System", we have the following
artists' participation: Cod.Act, Peter William Holden, Paul
Vanouse,
BeAnotherLab, Lisa Park and
Pinar Yoldas.

With the aim to enrich the diversity of new media art and
digital
culture, Digital Art Foundation
invites Fablab Dynamic as the curatorial team for 2015
Digital Art
Festival Taipei. Fablab Dynamic
is a non-profit organization which emphasizes creation,
openness and
sharing and runs several social
design projects.* *

*This year, we propose "Digitopia" as the theme of the
festival that
features the ideas of creation,
sharing and community in digital era. We have great
interest in the
ideas and experiences of open
sourced 3D priters and will be extremely excited if we have the
chance to demonstrare the humanity's
first general-purpose self-replicating manufacturing
machine while
making them by the audience at
the same time. Therefore, we sincerely wish to invite you
to lead
the co-working process and host
related forums during the Festival. For further description
on the
festival this year, attached
please find the discourse of festival.*

Many thanks for your kind attention. Please let us know if
you have
any further questions or
thoughts. Look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

王若鈞|Regina Wang
Fablab Dynamic
Mobile:+886 921 004 430
Email:[email protected]
>
>>
Add:台北市士林區福華路180號2樓
Facebook:[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2015 05:50AM by Adrian Bowyer.
September 23, 2015 01:14AM
That sounds like a great I idea. Im doing another one in my city next week, but would be interested to do some more. Do you maybe want to start a mailing list?
September 24, 2015 04:37AM
Great! And I guess a fourth function of this topic could be for people to post trailers for RepRap talks they are giving. We could start a mailing list, but would that achieve anything that we can't do on this forum?

best wishes

Adrian

[reprap.org]
[reprapltd.com]
October 07, 2015 04:20AM
thank for sharing
October 14, 2015 05:45AM
I've been invited too and booking is on the way , so the little smartfriendz comp and ( i hope ) one or two very nice custom made smartraps .will flight there.

I would be very interested to share information and more specificaly , if someone want to pass a message, i will be happy to talk in the name of reprap comunity ?

I'm actually preparing some slides and presentation, any idea is welcome smiling smiley

thank you .

Serge

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
October 14, 2015 05:58AM
I've just re-read and found the link about other presentations about reprap . That will help a lot smiling smiley thank you , i would not find it otherwise.

It's good because I will be able to stay in the right tone from the other talks ( It will be my first talk in international event , so, better to get some help i think ? ) .

thanks.

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
October 25, 2015 05:44PM
ya know i would love to volunteer for this task too, i try to tell people about Reprap when ever i can.

i would need to bush up on some of the newer development though, my twins are sucking up time faster than i can look at my watch.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
October 25, 2015 11:31PM
I gave two talks in the last month locally and I collected all the slides i could find on my first google search, but since it wasnt a specially engineering educated crowd I had to keep more general than most of the slides from the reprapwiki link anyway.
October 25, 2015 11:34PM
that's always good to know.

i am game for the calgary, and lethbridge AB area.

sungod3k
I gave two talks in the last month locally and I collected all the slides i could find on my first google search, but since it wasnt a specially engineering educated crowd I had to keep more general than most of the slides from the reprapwiki link anyway.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
October 28, 2015 11:02AM
Reprap Speakers? How about these? ----> [engineerd3d.ddns.net]

I will see myself out for that joke.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
November 26, 2015 07:35PM
Anyone interested in coming to the 2016 Midwest RepRap Festival and speaking is always welcome. We have open mic times for the presentation area. The first few years saw Mr. Prusa himself speaking about reprap, last year we had some really cool speakers talking about all sorts of topics, including the guys from E3D who came and talked about the progress of their hotends. So if you've got a project you'd like to come show off, it's free and fun!!! Here's the link www.midwestreprapfest.org
March 04, 2016 03:20PM
John, I would love to come to the show, but I just can't make the logistics work.

I am now in the second year of teaching how to build a 3D printer. The biggest challenge I see with the industry is the gap between what people think they want to do and what they can actually do. I've been teaching RepRap as a continuum of the design process which includes introduction to the creative tools needed to get ideas from mind to table.

Teaching these classes has been a great experience. It's especially fulfilling when a student designs something from scratch and sees it printing on a printer they built themselves. Compare this to the current trend by consumer printer manufacturers to throw up a section in Home Depot to sell 3D printers and wait for people to flock to the store. Not going to happen. Likewise for the mini 3D, "cloud-based" printers out there, consumers are still at the mercy of picking "pre-engineered" parts and printing them out. Most people I know who are not designers or engineers and have purchased a 3D printer, got tired of it after a week or two. There are only so many cool things one can print from Thingiverse and elsewhere. It's up to us to make the mind portion more applicable to non-technical people.

I will be working with local high schools to build momentum for a more grass-roots approach to 3D printing that doesn't require hundreds of hours of CAD experience on expensive software.
March 09, 2016 09:58PM
TinkerCad is a great way to get the students past the school and reality politics. Then have a class on the software aspect and a research class. That way they can get something hands on then qualify the pitfalls, gotchas and positives. And Tinkercad is well connected with the next steps to production. They will learn more faster than just sitting and listening to someone that isn't that far ahead. Its all about speed.
I have seen that when young students are able to produce something first then study it out they excel tremendously and are then making better decisions about projects. I have decades under my brim of turning high school students into true marchers and adventurers. And its easy. Put the parts in their hands first and let them form thinking patterns before the theory. It simply works.
It works because it starts out as an open forum where the students are able to fit their skills into the group. Its all about peer pressure. They thrive on it and a forum of focus is a great equalizer. As the forum goes on the kids get to speak about it first. They are highly social creatures and this elevates the geeks above the jocks where there would be no other place. It is great to see a group of people balance out respect with achievement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2016 10:00PM by Giantkiller.

Replikeo Prusa I3 Rework, Ramps 1.4, Marlin, Pronterface, Tinkercad.
Plan B is always to be somebody else.
May 11, 2016 01:25PM
Great Idea. I have done a couple of talks in India in a number of cities - Kolkata, Ahmedabad starting with the basics of 3D printing - technologies, types of machines, basics, economics, etc.
May 24, 2016 11:42AM
Hi Everyone,

I have received another invitation to speak that I cannot go to. If anyone else can go, please respond. Here it is:

-----------------------------

We would like to invite you to deliver a speech at the Maker Forums of the Xi’An International Maker Festival, the first International Maker Festival which will be held between June 24th-26th, 2016 in Xi’An, Shaan Xi ,China.
You will also be welcome to demonstrate any creative workshop or innovation of yours to the public in Xi’an, so that they can also enjoy the pleasure of hands-on creation through your work. At the same time, we will host a variety of forums to enhance communications among international entrepreneur communities.
Limited funds are available for projects that are selected to show.
Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this event. The e-mail for replies is Rongsheng Zhang: info@reprappro.com.cn, but please also post here.
We are looking forward to hearing your response and will be happy to greet you in Xi 'An!

Let’s make the future together!

陈政( Fred Chen)
Chief Executive Officer
----------------------------------

best wishes

Adrian

[reprap.org]
[reprapltd.com]
VDX
May 24, 2016 03:59PM
... someone speaker, exhibitor or visitor at the "Rapid.Tech" or "FabCon 3D" from 14. to 16 June in Erfurt/Germany?

[www.fabcon-germany.com]

I'll be there either as visitor on 14. or as exhibitor for all three days ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 19, 2016 06:44PM
Anything going on in Ireland? Reprap seems very quiet over this area

Prusa i3 upgraded with some of my own parts and E3D v6 hardened steel nozzle, large 400mm3 enclosed printer in to revision 3
September 04, 2017 05:44AM
If you are interested in speaking at an open source conference (this is in its 4th or 5th year, with about 200 attendees), I am tasked with filling out an open source hardware speaker track for:

www.cposc.org

Located in amish country! Eastern PA, November 4th, 2017.

Thanks
Don

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2017 05:45AM by doncrush.
January 11, 2018 11:24PM
May 26, 2018 02:48AM
thanks for ur information ,,,
May 17, 2019 06:25AM
Nice information. I don't know this RepRap Speakrs, after reading your question i got it.
February 14, 2022 11:30AM
This is exactly the kind of things we want posted on functionalprint

To showcase people that 3D Printers can be used to print useful things that are not dust collectors.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login