Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Power supply?

Posted by MegaRocketPenguin 
New Power supply?
August 23, 2015 02:12PM
The power supply on my FolgerTech 2020 Prusa i3 died a few weeks ago, and I have pretty much given up on trying to fix it.
So, with that said, I need a new power supply.
Can anyone recommend anything for a decent price (Preferably under 40$)?
I currently only have a single extruder and a hotbed, however, future plans are to get a dual extruder, and so that also needs to be taken into account on amount of power used.
My system runs on 12v.
At minimum, I would need help calculating how much power is needed for Dual extruder + heated bed + ramps + Steppers.
Help on that, along with finding a decent power supply is greatly appreciated.
Re: New Power supply?
August 23, 2015 02:53PM
I suggest a Chinese 12V 25A (300W) LED/CCTV power supply. These are widely available on eBay in most countries. I use one to power my dual extrusion Ormerod. They are not as reliable as more expensive branded power supplies, but entirely adequate unless they fail, and cost much less than more reliable alternatives. The one supplied with your kit was probably similar but only rated at 20A, perhaps even less.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 23, 2015 02:55PM
Yea, mine came with a 360W 30A 12v Chinese led strip power supply, which failed pretty fast (Thread can be found here )
Was just wondering if there is anything better for similar price ranges. Any supplier better than the other? Or (As I assume) probably all from the same manufacturer?
August 23, 2015 04:05PM
One thing to figure in is how much that cheap one will cost over time. Just as an example, say over two years, you have two cheap ones at $30 go out but a more expensive $50 doesn't. Your cheaper one now cost you more.

One other thing to keep in mind, is when the power supply goes out, what happens with the voltage output? Hopefully it just goes to zero. But what happens if it puts a large spike on the line and also takes out your controller? How much has your cheaper plus cost you?

If you can, spend a little extra and get a good unit that doesn't have a reputation of failing.
August 23, 2015 04:33PM
MegaRocketPenguin
Yea, mine came with a 360W 30A 12v Chinese led strip power supply, which failed pretty fast (Thread can be found here )
Was just wondering if there is anything better for similar price ranges. Any supplier better than the other? Or (As I assume) probably all from the same manufacturer?

There is certainly more than one style of these PSUs, so almost certainly more than one manufacturer. The 3 I have used (and have not had fail yet) have the mains input connections on the left hand end of the terminal block and the voltage adjustment pot on the right. I have seen picturea of other similar PSUs with them the other way round. I am in the UK and I get mine from here [www.ebay.co.uk].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

August 23, 2015 05:03PM
For a quick fix, would it be possible to use 2 ATX power supplies? I have a 16a 12v output ATX, and an 8a 12v ATX. Could I wire the 16a to the heatbed terminal, and the 8a to the Ramps/steppers/extruder?
Or, since I haven't started using the heated bed yet (Would really like to start now, was going to, but them my power supply died) could I just not use it, and wire the 16a to the Ramps/steppers/extruder?
August 23, 2015 05:09PM
ATX power supplies can be used to power 3D printers, but you need to add a minimum load on at least the 5V output to get them to work properly. A 12V auto brake light bulb will probably do. The regulation on the 12V output tends to be poorer than on the LED supplies, unless you get an expensive branded ATX PSU. This sometimes makes it difficult to get the heated bed up to 100C or so for printing ABS.

August 23, 2015 05:12PM
dc42
ATX power supplies can be used to power 3D printers, but you need to add a minimum load on at least the 5V output to get them to work properly. A 12V auto brake light bulb will probably do. The regulation on the 12V output tends to be poorer than on the LED supplies, unless you get an expensive branded ATX PSU. This sometimes makes it difficult to get the heated bed up to 100C or so for printing ABS.
A 12v load on the 5v line or the 12v line?
I have also heard of putting a resistor across the 5v line and ground...
Heated bed isn't a MAJOR issue, though I would like to start working with it.
Kinda not related to thread, but I put some ceramic blanket underneath the heated bed. This sound like a good idea? (Haven't used the heated bed yet...)
So sticking 8a 12v on the 5a input, and a 16a 12v on the 11a input should work?
August 23, 2015 05:59PM
My suggestion was to put a 12V auto brake light bulb on the 5V output. Of course, if you happen to have a suitable power resistor, you could use that instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2015 06:00PM by dc42.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login