Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is pla guinea pig safe ?

Posted by Nikki81 
Is pla guinea pig safe ?
August 18, 2015 05:16PM
I want to make my guinea pigs some toys is pla non toxic ?

Thanks
Re: Is pla guinea pig safe ?
August 18, 2015 07:14PM
Natural transparent PLA is non toxic to humans and is used for food packaging. When it is coloured it may depend on what pigments are added.

You could always use your guinea pig as a "guinea pig" and try it smiling smiley

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 18, 2015 07:22PM
Personally, I wouldn't do it. While it may not be toxic, he will chew parts off and eat it. The question then becomes can he pass it through his system or could it create a blockage?
August 18, 2015 10:04PM
Dave loves to chew since rodents teeth dont stop growing. Dave also cant spit things out or regurgitate. He will more than likely chew the plastic and swallow. I'd avoid printed toys.
The way to Daves heart is with lots of hay and grass smiling smiley
August 19, 2015 11:19AM
Normal PLA filament is not approved as FDA food safe. I wouldn't use it.

There are plenty of food-safe filaments though: Taulman T-Glase, Formfutura HDGlass, etc.

However, I guess this is safe for contact with food, which is different from eating it!
August 20, 2015 11:40AM
When considering the subject of food safe (or even digestible), you also need to consider the nozzle and hotend which can add contaminants to the final product, left behind by other filaments.

My dog was a chewer and regular had aluminum foil and toy stuffing passing through his system, so I wouldn't worry to much about your guinea pig, especially since PLA is biodegradable (in theory). But if you care about him at all, I would stick to store bought toys.
August 21, 2015 03:16AM
PLA is only really biodegradable in an industrial composter heated to 140°F (60°) fed with a constant supply of microbes. In normal landfill, PLA takes >100 years to biodegrade.

I don't think it'd be good in the digestive tract of your guinea pig.
August 24, 2015 10:21AM
thanks Ill stick to giving her carboard tubes !

thanks Nikki
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login