Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best choices for Extruder and Hot End

Posted by JChicago 
Re: Best choices for Extruder and Hot End
August 20, 2015 08:57AM
Thank you for proving my point. The BODIES are identical. As the images you link to show, they have different bores through them, but the outside measurements are identical.

wfcook
ElmoC
I use the E3Dv6 and the bodies of the 3mm and 1.75mm are the same.

Not quite, there are some differences:

August 20, 2015 09:43AM
I just wanted to make sure that he didn't understand you to be implying that all he would need to go to 3mm would be a heater block assembly and some tubing, since he also needs the heatsink as well. I would have described it as saying the MOUNT for the 3mm and the 1.75mm are identical.

Just a difference in semantic interpretation I guess, but to me describing the bodies as identical implies that the entire body (heatsink) is identical, inside and out.

All's well that ends satisfactorily.
August 21, 2015 07:43PM
Hello,

Those hot-ends are not J-Heads. They are chinese knock-offs that are not built to spec.

Best Regards,

Brian

julianh72
Sorry to butt in here - but this thread came up in a search of my own. (I suspect my question has been asked and answered many times before - apologies if that is the case!)

I have a home-built Prusa Mendel, which was designed and built for 3 mm filament. It has an original Wade's Geared Extruder (which is still working fine), and it had the original PTFE-bodied "Geared Extruder Nozzle" [reprap.org] , which has failed by the metal tip shearing off the threaded PTFE neck at the bottom of the PTFE body. (I think the main cause of the failure was probably over-heating, because I didn't have a hot-end fan - I have since rectified this!)

I have purchased a replacement 3 mm J-Head, because I still have lots of 3 mm PLA stock, but I've noticed that a lot of new filaments are coming available in 1.75 mm only, and it got me to thinking: How much work does it take to put a 1.75 mm hot end onto the Wade's Extruder?

AndrewsBCN said:

"If you just want to use 1.75mm filament you can just change the E3D hotend for a 1.75mm version and print yourself a new Greg's Wade's Geared Extruder body and idler for 1.75mm filament."

Can I take it that in order to print with 1.75 mm filament, I can just install a 1.75 mm J-Head or similar onto the Wades Extruder, and change my software settings? Can a 3 mm Wade's Extruder push 1.75 mm filament reliably, without any other modifications?

In the pictures that I have found, the set-screw at the top of the PEEK body (which retains the internal PTFE sleeve) sits flush with the PEEK in the 3 mm version, but stands proud on the 1.75 mm versions - see attached photos. I couldn't find a dimensioned drawing of this protruding screw - will it clear the filament hole in the Wade's Extruder body (4 mm diameter?)? (I guess I can ream out the hole in the Extruder Body if necessary, to provide more clearance?)

Are there any other tricks or traps I need to be aware of?

Thanks for all comments!
August 21, 2015 07:44PM
Hello,

Please try to find genuine J-Head hot-ends. Many are cheap chinese knock-offs and do not function properly.

Best Regards,

Brian

julianh72
Clear as mud now?

Yes, I think so - thanks!

The Wades Extruder isn't a Bowden, and doesn't use any tubing, and I don't use any tubing from the spool to the top of the extruder drive. (Should I?)

The 1.75 mm and 3 mm J-Head have the same mounting detail, but the protruding set-screw in the top of the 1.75 mm version worries me a bit - it might foul the bottom of the Extruder body. If so, I think this would be easily fixed by reaming out a bit of a clearance hole for the set-screw.

There is a small hole in the extruder body (4 mm diameter by 25 mm deep, I think) below the hobbed bolt and pinch roller. The 3 mm filament goes through there straight into the top of the hot end. The only potential issue I can see is that the 3 mm filament is stable as it passes through this clearance-sized hole, but would the more flexible 1.75 mm filament tend to kink or buckle? Oh well - there's one sure way to find out - I might just buy a 1.75 mm J-Head, and see what happens! (As Jeremy Clarkson would say: "How hard can it be?" grinning smiley)
August 22, 2015 02:49AM
I've been playing with the Prometheus V2 for a couple of days now and am very impressed. I had to reduce my extrusion multiplier from 1 to .85 to get flat beads. It flows effortlessly. With a .4 nozzle It produces very smooth finishes. The smaller tips must be amazing but are pricy at $25.00 so that will wait abit. One other advantage is that it's so small that a build height gain is about 3/4".
August 22, 2015 12:31PM
Thanks for posting your results. The Prometheus was something I was looking at along with (vs) the E3d v6 as those two seem to be the #1 choices. I have the 3mm E3d and it's always perfect. I spoke with the company and to convert it to 1.75 a new heat sink, heat break, and nozzle are required. You're the only one I know with a Prom so it's nice to know they are solid units also.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login