Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Refit Makerbot Cupcake Firmware/Extruder

Posted by benj919 
Refit Makerbot Cupcake Firmware/Extruder
August 05, 2015 04:17PM
Hi all,

I have an old Makerbot Cupcake that has collected a lot of dust over the last years and I'd like to bring it back to service.

What I have:
-Makerbot Cupcake
-Gen 3 electronics (Reprap MB v1.2, EC v2.2, relay board v1.0)
-Heated Building Platform
-3mm Mk5 Plastruder (DC Motor)
-A spare Stepper Motor Controller v2.3
-No endstops at all

What I'm looking for:
-Probably a stepper retrofit for the Extruder
-A firmware update

As I don't want to spend money on the upgrade (besides for a stepper motor)
I'm currently looking for a way to upgrade the extruder and came across the "ugly cable hack". Which I assume is the cable described in this wiki entry:
[makerbot.wikidot.com]
And this adapter for the MK5 plastruder:
[www.thingiverse.com]

I can print that in a good quality as I have a new printer. (which is why I don't want to spend money on the Cupcake)

As for the firmware; before I found my spare stepper controller I was looking for a firmware still supporting DC motor extruders and came across the teacup firmware which claims untested support.
Given that I'm building a stepper upgrade I should be able to install the sailfish firmware as well.
I'm looking at connecting the teacup to a raspberry pi with octoprint running on it so I'm probably looking for a firmware supporting gcode command directly?

Long story short I'm looking for recommendations regarding the firmware and comments/ideas on the stepper upgrade.

thanks and cheers,
benj
Re: Refit Makerbot Cupcake Firmware/Extruder
August 06, 2015 07:09AM
benj919
Given that I'm building a stepper upgrade I should be able to install the sailfish firmware as well.

All firmwares can operate with a stepper driven extruder.

benj919
I'm looking at connecting the teacup to a raspberry pi with octoprint running on it so I'm probably looking for a firmware supporting gcode command directly?

Virtually all firmwares accept G-code. Not sure about sailfish, never heard about such a firmware.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: Refit Makerbot Cupcake Firmware/Extruder
August 06, 2015 11:00AM
Traumflug
All firmwares can operate with a stepper driven extruder.

Virtually all firmwares accept G-code. Not sure about sailfish, never heard about such a firmware.

Thanks for these clarifications.
Sailfish is (closely?) related to the official makerbot firmware or so I understand...
[jettyfirmware.yolasite.com]

As of right now I'll probably try that one out first as I haven't figured out all the pins used for the heaters/thermal sensor for configuring Teacup for Gen3 electronics.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login