Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D Printer from China - It had to happen at some point

Posted by richrap 
Re: 3D Printer from China - It had to happen at some point
August 10, 2010 04:33PM
The SD card part doesn't surprise me. We know that the software stores print instructions on the device so that printing can continue with the computer unplugged, and an SD card is apparently among the easiest ways to interface storage for such things with a µC like the ATmega chips used to run the reprap firmware. I'm a little surprised that it doesn't have a failure mode better than just crashing for when you start the software without a printer attached.

[whosawhatsis.com]
August 10, 2010 05:11PM
I don't think it gets that far for me: -

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 10, 2010 05:37PM
That was about the same for me, if you click on the click here for the report data it should show various error messages in the debug info.

I tried it on two different systems, and in various Windows compatibility modes, all useless.

This chap talks about the demo being Chinese and English, so maybe it's working for some systems -
Up Forum post

I think the Demo on Youtube was running under Windows 7 on a laptop?
August 10, 2010 07:12PM
Same thing happened to me. It would be nice to see there environment and play with the software.
Mark F
I downloaded the program and it worked but the gui is a little messed up. Some buttons are missing and the others don't animate properly. I did manage to get an stl file to load though and I'm on a 64 bit version of vista (which they said probably wouldb't work)
August 15, 2010 09:14AM
hmm, UP software crashed for me too on vista. I was gonna try it on xp, Nophead, you've saved me the trouble. Looks like it is missing some runtime stuff.
This may not be legit. The company name is different from the website. Worldinno Inc. worldinno.com is registered to George Wei who posted on their forums that he bought and was satisfied with their printer. also there was some question as to the software phoning home...
Questionable Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This may not be legit. The company name is
> different from the website. Worldinno Inc.
> worldinno.com is registered to George Wei who
> posted on their forums that he bought and was
> satisfied with their printer. also there was some
> question as to the software phoning home...
I wrote this after further research and more pictures posted by the company I think it is probably ok. They said they would have paypal up soon so just wait if you're worried.
I'm not sure about the george wei thing but he may just be a domain squatter preying on them...
August 20, 2010 09:06AM
they have a thingiverse account now and are uploading sample pics, and they look great.

allegedly their plastic is similar to stratasys plastic -- i wonder what the difference is...

[www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 09:10AM by JohnA.
August 20, 2010 05:00PM
Now that is some smart marketing.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
They shipped mine out. Fed-Ex says it will arrive on Monday.
Linkreincarnate
August 23, 2010 06:16AM
JohnA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they have a thingiverse account now and are
> uploading sample pics, and they look great.
>
> allegedly their plastic is similar to stratasys
> plastic -- i wonder what the difference is...
>
>
> [www.thingiverse.com]

There is no difference. they say you can buy strata sys plastic for their printer
I just got mine earlier today and this thing is awesome. You can barely see the layers with your eyes! Each layer is about the thickness of two sheets of paper. Bowing at the edges is still a little bit of an issue but I haven't put new silicone on there yet so that may he. overall thug the best 3d printer I can afford.
I think that we should look fondly at this product. I agree that for $3000 it's a bit expensive but there's some interesting things to note.

1) This product now is at about the same print quality as early Stratasys machines. They also extruded ABS as the support structure AND the build item. In fact, the 'raft' and 'support' is UNCANNY to the old stratasys approach. I wonder if there's been some licensing of their old algorithms? The old Stratasys used to vary the z axis as it placed the support structure to create high and low points. Could the bottom raft in the UP printer use this approach so that the 0.2mm filament has 0.2mm spikes where it makes contact with the model?

2) This acts as good demonstration that investing in some really good linear bearings for the axis make a much better result.

3) I believe that reprap should work very hard to produce a capable support algorithm similar to this. Could this be broken out on the forums as a separate project? Any takers?

-B
VDX
September 09, 2010 03:42AM
... i have some really good linear bearings and complete linear actuators lying around and want to assemble an XYZ-stage with the linear actuators with a moving range of 180x180x180mm and submicron accuracy, but this is on a longer timeframe ...

4 linear bearings (maybe 300mm long) and 9 sliders are 'free' for building other stuff and there are two pneumatic linear actuators with 50 and 80mm and an XY-stage with steel-rolls (similar to the stages in am SMD-fineplacer) too, so material for better/sturdier/more accurate machines is there ... but i actually don't have any time for diving into this eye rolling smiley

Maybe someone here in Germany willing participate in building some alternative systems?

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
That's funny. "Stolen from open source" sounds like an oxymoron to me.
October 03, 2010 11:42AM
Not really, If you where to start selling your version of Firefox as a closed source modified version, and refused to share your improvements, that would be "stealing from open source".

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
October 29, 2010 10:24AM
Has anyone purchased one of these printers?
Do they work as well as shown in their videos?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
the files you are looking for are on thingiverse on page 19 title is " all printable parts for Up"
i uploaded them so people could see how well designed it is if it was not so expensive i'd have one to.
they are nice, clean, light weight, but they have their own problems.and i thought that people would make derivatives then we all could benefit . i uploaded 14 separate files and i received an e-mail stating it would be easier to keep track of them
if they were on one upload so i did and deleted the rest of them. sorry for the uproar.
Up printer NOW IT´S DOWN.

I received a mini Up printer from pp3dp on 07 November 2012 and I have had a lot of problem with it. The mini came with an unlevelled platform up to 1,7mm and lacks of any levelling mechanism.

I sent them a lot of mails but Pp3dp people are joking with me and I feel cheated. I contacted with his manager Joseph Guo that at first seems to be willing to help, but finally hi does the same, never respond directly to my questions but tergiversate them. They repeated all the time to put some paper here and there to adjust the platform and advised me over and over to use the beta software to level the platform, but it does not work in my computer and make things even worse. My previous comments on their blog have disappeared and probably my last one will even not be published at all. They offered to me to send the printer back but I will lose the shipping and the taxes I paid. That is no fair and It’s not just money. I want to get some justice. They sell printer as OUT OF THE BOX that it’s very far to be true.
After I spent my entire holiday time modifying the platform, today, Sunday 25 November 2012, I finally manage to modify the printer adding a levelling platform mechanism, but the printer vibrates a lot and still I have not been able to print something decent. Also any time I initialize the mini it lost his Z zero point and I have to set it again.
The mini has been so cheaply made that due to the weak clips it would not last too long.
My Mini came with one clip broken and anther broken up when I take off the platform.

Delta system knows that the mini has a lot of problems but still today they are commercializing it anyway.
I cannot understand how there are there people making positive review of the up mini printer.
Anyway, I KNOW that there are a lot of people that have had the same issue than me. I will start a campaign on the Web to inform people about the way delta Micro System is cheating people. I really hope no one will fall anymore into being cheated by Delta Microsystem.

I will update this post.
mixart
November 25, 2012 09:33AM
Small wager here. $20 says that delta is working on a delt platform, and bailing on the mini. In NY, they were taking a LOT of notes. Hmmm
November 25, 2012 07:26PM
i've actually got two of them, i wouldn't recommend the printer to anyone, the company to deal with is a joke and so are certain aspects of the printer,

i'll list them:

- if you've had it apart yet the first thing you'll notice is that they have used the worst possible kind of wiring in where there is flexing eg. y axis table after a little while the cable breaks

- the extruder itself is designed really only to work properly out of the box with the filament they sell, the bearing pushing the filament onto the drive wheel doesn't push hard enough and the gap is set so any higher than usual back pressure from third party filament it will strip the filament,

- the stepper motor runs so hot that it can burn you, the massive over the top heat sink is really there to keep the cold end cold and it's more about sinking heat generated by the stepper motor

- the way the hotend attaches is a friction /clamp fit and is very unreliable,

- before you buy the printer we asked two very specific questions "can we use third party filament?" and "will doing so cause any problems with the machine/warranty" we were to told that we could use third party filament and no it would n't void the warranty however they wouldn't recommend it
well when i went the claim the warranty on the hotend cable, warranty voided, turns out you void the warranty so i was up for over $100 for a new one because they don't sell the heater cartridge and thermister seperatly (they lie about that part they tell you it's pressed in there or it won't comeout because the heat deforms it during use,, that was bs there is a set screw that goes into the end of the heater cartridge, i've had mine apart a few times now)

- i have never been able to extrude pla with it, yet they claim it will print with pla!!

- the advertised nozzle diameter is 0.4mm in reality this isn't the case, it's closer to 0.3mm and i since had to drill mine out to 0.5mm to take out the backpressure issue which was causing it jam and strip constantly,
* i should note here it made very litttle difference to actual print quality to do this either

- the software is very restrictive,
-= you are stuck with two temperature options (the latest version even less)
-= there are only a choice of 4 infil percentages
-= number of shells/solid layers is set
-= the layer heights are fixed and to date the lowest is 0.15mm
-= the latest version 1.17 will crash frequently where as 1.16 was fairly stable
-= support material while once upon a time consider very very good for a printer of this price range, however today it sucks compared to what slic3r does now, the ease at which it comes off an object is womewhat proportional to how fast it is printed,

at the risk of going on for several pages about the negatives heres a few positives,

- i can print objects thanks to the perf board up to 130mmX130mm with no real warping and very reliably
- i can print objects where the only wastage is the rafts and support material and (now very few failed objects) , (however this is mostly due to my resdesign of the nozzle which is now 0.5mm instead of the advertised 0.4mm (which isn't really 0.4mm)) and also my spring mechanism which allows a variance in the diameter of the filament,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login