Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smoothieboard Y axis stepper not working

Posted by d2xhale 
Smoothieboard Y axis stepper not working
July 23, 2015 11:39AM
I am having a problem with my smoothieboard not working in Y axis and will turn off the steppers for X and Z after a couple of steps. I have switched out the stepper motors with X and Y axis to make sure it wasn't a bad stepper (the steppers were switched with zero power applied to the board) and no matter which stepper motor is applied to the X axis it works (it moves in diagonal motion since it’s a corexy setup and the Y axis motor is not working). But even with the X and Z axis working, after I step them a couple times through pronterface all steppers will stop working.

Here is a little background information….
The 3d printer I built is a corexy based printer that is driven by a GT2 belt. The Z axis uses 2 steppers to which are currently jumped together. Previous to this problem my 3d printer was running great, I had full axis movement in each direction.

Does anyone have an idea what would cause this problem? Is there a way to check if the driver is blown?

I also forgot to add that right before this problem occurred, while printing the print shifted 45° as if the y axis was missing pulses.
Re: Smoothieboard Y axis stepper not working
July 23, 2015 11:49AM
My experience with smoothie is that if it behaves strangely and that behavior cannot be explained by any logical means, the best thing to do is to try a different uSD card that contains the config file.

I spent about a week trying to troubleshoot a Y axis problem that had no logical explanation until someone suggested I try a different uSD card. As soon as I changed cards, the problem disappeared. I believe that there is some problem with voltage levels or noise or something unpredictable that prevents the CPU from reading certain cards reliably. You may be able to read and write to the card just fine via USB port (as I was able), yet the problem may persist. Try another card- it only takes a moment to copy the config file to it and plug it into the board.
July 23, 2015 05:27PM
I tried switching out to a new micro sd card and still had the same issue. So I ended up going through my config and switching the Y driver with my extruder driver and now I can jog the Y axis. It appears that the Y axis driver is not responding, is there any test I can do to rule out a bad driver?
July 23, 2015 05:32PM
Well I should say, it will only work for a few steps then everything stops again. I noticed that all lights are on except for the one marked "2"
July 23, 2015 07:37PM
There's a google group for smoothieware support. I suggest you post there- the developers frequently read and respond to inquiries there.

[groups.google.com]
July 24, 2015 06:06PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try there
July 25, 2015 03:18AM
After some discutions on IRC, there was a problem with running 3.5A steppers at 2A ( and possibly overheating, and a false contact somewhere ).

He'll be using external drivers instead of the on-board ones ( which fits his stepper motors much better ), and maybe try replacing the on-board drivers to run extruders.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login