Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1.75mm Bowden/direct and 3mm Bowden/direct?

Posted by MegaRocketPenguin 
1.75mm Bowden/direct and 3mm Bowden/direct?
July 20, 2015 09:53PM
Alright, so I will be purchasing a Prusa i3 soon, and have a a few questions/thoughts/ideas I need answered/help with involving the extruder and hotend setup.

I plan on having a duel extruder system, but in a much more unique way.

First off, I plan on having one direct drive and one bowden. Reason for this is, is because I am now capable of printing flexable filament (Very big, almost main goal.) and a support with a different material, all with the lightest possible setup.
However, I also want the option of printing with smaller nozzles (.35mm), which means I need a 1.75mm extruder hotend. Thing is, flexfilament prints best with 3mm because of buckling.
So, my idea: A combo of a 3mm and a 1.75mm extruder/hotend with one having a bowden, and the other a direct drive.

Sound good? I realize it would be a pain in the rear to configure software wise, but I am willing to take the risk (Unless if it isn't possible. Let me know about that.) I would be able to print both 3mm and 1.75, so no limitation on that. Plus, minimum mass on X axis, so less whiplash.

My question (Beyond would this actually work) is that which hotend should have which extruder? I want flexfilament going through 3mm, no question. But, can 3mm flexfilament handle a bowden? I hear it's a really bad idea to have such combo, but usually for 1.75mm. Would it work with 3mm?
I would more want it this way because I have also heard (Please correct me if I am wrong) that bowden can be less accurate because when the X axis moves back and forth, the tube flexes, and thus can push out a little bit more or less depending on where the nozzle is. (This may entirely be bogus. Help me out.)

So, would this all work? Whats the best configuration of 3mm/1.75mm with bowden/direct drive?

And, since I am getting my printer from here, might as well see if its worth the money to get the hotends here as well. Or is there a better place, or possible less/higher quality?

Let me know your thoughts and opinions! Thanks!

PS: I would also like to print various materials, such as CFPLA, ABS, PLA, Possibly Nylon, and other various materials. Is this possible? What hotend(s) is/are capable of this?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 09:54PM by MegaRocketPenguin.
Re: 1.75mm Bowden/direct and 3mm Bowden/direct?
July 20, 2015 10:02PM
My suggestion is to get started on a Prusa i3 with a classic Greg's Wade's geared extruder, extruding 1.75mm PLA. Once you have that sorted out (and indeed there is a learning curve to printing good quality parts in PLA, as you'll see for yourself), you can work on other kinds of filaments and extruders, each one of which will have their issues and learning curves too.

There is no universal extruder that does everything well right off the bat - otherwise we would have heard about it!
July 20, 2015 11:37PM
I've used a makerbot Replicator 2 for about 2 months, I know the basics of PLA/how it prints/typical Makerbot issues and solutions.

Not a huge fan of Wade's gears/hobbed bolt extruder for two reasons: Printed, I realize if I make my own this can't be avoided, so it isn't fair, but more importantly, : Uses a ghetto hobbed bolt. First off, its kinda cheap. Would much rather buy a quality drive gear. Second, it removes the outer layer/renders the hardened steel bolt, causing it to become soft, and eventually wear down much faster than any professional hobbed gear.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 11:40PM by MegaRocketPenguin.
July 23, 2015 01:47PM
So... Was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions/thoughts?
July 25, 2015 12:33PM
Whilst ill say its best to get started printing with one material, and get your printer to a reliable state your are familiar with.....

A Flex3Drive meets your requirements and more. It can push 3mm or 1.75mm, rigid or flexible filaments including the most flexible Filaflex filament. It is direct drive but without the heavy motor on the carriage (uses a flexible driveshaft and high ratio gearing), it is well supported with design updates, direct support, warranty etc and uses quality hardware. It might be what your looking for.
July 25, 2015 12:41PM
Mutley3D
Whilst ill say its best to get started printing with one material, and get your printer to a reliable state your are familiar with.....

A Flex3Drive meets your requirements and more. It can push 3mm or 1.75mm, rigid or flexible filaments including the most flexible Filaflex filament. It is direct drive but without the heavy motor on the carriage (uses a flexible driveshaft and high ratio gearing), it is well supported with design updates, direct support, warranty etc and uses quality hardware. It might be what your looking for.

Thanks for the reply!

Don't know how I feel about flexible driveshaft... Just seems very unconventional. Extremely prone to error... I don't know. Anyway, I need to be able to extrude two materials at the same time, as if I am printing with an expensive filament (CFPLA, or conductive filament) and need supports, I would much prefer using cheap pla for the job versus the expensive filament.

Probably a better question would be, (And should probably be asked on a different forum, but might as well while I am here) does Flexible filament print well with bowden when using 3mm?
July 25, 2015 01:03PM
without turning this into a discussion about flexible shafts and accuracy, it (Flex3Drive) is extremely accurate with higher print speeds, faster and shorter retracts. The high ratio (40:1) gearing significantly reduces the mechanical loading on the shaft, and a lot of research has gone into supplying "tight" driveshafts with very low torsional deflection. In a nutshell it works very well and allows printing at higher speeds without sacrificing quality. You would get more error as a result of carrying a motor around on a precision axis, or trying to push filament along a long tube.
In answer to your questions about flexible filaments along a bowden, yes it can be done but with very slow print speeds and potential issues with print quality depending on how flexible the filament is. Its a bit like trying to push a rope uphill. flexible filament will also compress in the tube making speed and retract tuning a bit more complex than standard filament. Not impossible, but anything you can do on a bowden you can do better on a flex3drive. Sorry if it sounds like a sales pitch, just providing info for you to consider in your quest. smiling smiley
July 25, 2015 01:08PM
Mutley3D
without turning this into a discussion about flexible shafts and accuracy, it (Flex3Drive) is extremely accurate with higher print speeds, faster and shorter retracts. The high ratio (40:1) gearing significantly reduces the mechanical loading on the shaft, and a lot of research has gone into supplying "tight" driveshafts with very low torsional deflection. In a nutshell it works very well and allows printing at higher speeds without sacrificing quality. You would get more error as a result of carrying a motor around on a precision axis, or trying to push filament along a long tube.
In answer to your questions about flexible filaments along a bowden, yes it can be done but with very slow print speeds and potential issues with print quality depending on how flexible the filament is. Its a bit like trying to push a rope uphill. flexible filament will also compress in the tube making speed and retract tuning a bit more complex than standard filament. Not impossible, but anything you can do on a bowden you can do better on a flex3drive. Sorry if it sounds like a sales pitch, just providing info for you to consider in your quest. smiling smiley

With shipping, its 200$ a unit for me. I would need 2 of them. Plus the cost of 2 hotends. Pretty sure there is a more economically efficient method of what I want. Thanks for the info though!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 01:09PM by MegaRocketPenguin.
July 25, 2015 01:55PM
I tried a variety of flexible 1.75mm filaments with Bowden setups and it is possible to achieve very good speed.
You can see a couple of videos i did on this on my Youtube channel [www.youtube.com]
Ultimately i switched to a direct drive setup with an extruder with a minimal mass so i don't loose much speed/acceleration compared to bowden.
Bowden setups with flexible filament are always a bit more difficult, even if you have the general extrusion working, the elasticity and the long distance the filament moves under pressure will reduce the quality of the print.
Personally i see no need to mix 3mm and 1.75mm.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
July 25, 2015 02:07PM
Well, I was thinking having 3mm and 1.75 is that 3mm flexible filament is easier to print vs 1.75 (And I know some suppliers only sell 3mm for this reason). However, a lot of other material I want to print only comes in 1.75mm, and thus would need that as well. A majority of my prints will be made with 1.75, other than flexible prints. I see you use bowden a lot in your videos. Ever print with 3mm filament + bowden?
July 25, 2015 02:16PM
I never tried 3mm with a bowden setup and i am not using any bowden setups at this time at all. Chances are i won't use them any time again since the compact printhead i am working on works so smooth that i don't think i will ever need bowden again. The printhead only works for 1.75mm though, since the direct drive uses only a NEMA 14 motor.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
July 25, 2015 02:38PM
Yes i agree Flex3Drive isnt the cheapest solution. If you factor in your time and effort, your research testing, building, failed prints etc trying various other options, it soon puts a different slant on things. Considering Flex3Drive is a fit and forget item with reliability and consistency......and with support and warranty smiling smiley Its actually not that bad. But possibly out of reach for some budgets.
July 25, 2015 02:40PM
Mutley3D
Yes i agree Flex3Drive isnt the cheapest solution. If you factor in your time and effort, your research testing, building, failed prints etc trying various other options, it soon puts a different slant on things. Considering Flex3Drive is a fit and forget item with reliability and consistency......and with support and warranty smiling smiley Its actually not that bad. But possibly out of reach for some budgets.

Yea... For 500$ for dual extrusion... A wee bit pricey for my budget. It would be convenient, but not possible for my budget. I have more time than money, and so testing an calibrating isn't too big of an issue for me.
July 25, 2015 03:04PM
Not cheap no, but not $500 to implement what your looking to achieve. Again it depends on budgets. PM if you want to explore. Again i was only flagging up the option rather than opening a debate. In the meanwhile, take a look at a Flexystruder smiling smiley
July 25, 2015 03:48PM
Mutley3D
Not cheap no, but not $500 to implement what your looking to achieve. Again it depends on budgets. PM if you want to explore. Again i was only flagging up the option rather than opening a debate. In the meanwhile, take a look at a Flexystruder smiling smiley

Oh wow... How is FlexyExtruder so expensive??? For one extruder its 500$ alone... It looks as if making a clone could be rather easy, and for a much lower cost.

Anyway, I think a combo of traditional bowden and direct drive or even 2 bowden extruder + hotend setup should work fine for me... Depending on how well flexible filament works with bowden when printing with 3mm, I might just go for a dual bowden...
July 25, 2015 04:09PM
Yea now that IS expensive, especially for what it is. Puts the flex into a markedly different light.
Again it depends on what your looking to achieve, with what budget etc etc. Ultimately with some experience over time you'll get a good feel for what you want and need. If this is a first printer id definately spend a couple/few weeks getting it tuned up on the single extruder first (believe me it wont happen overnight), repraps are Very time intensive, and whilst reaching for the stars is great with respect to multi filament, getting one working right is going to be your first challenge.

MegaRocketPenguin
Mutley3D

Oh wow... How is FlexyExtruder so expensive??? For one extruder its 500$ alone... It looks as if making a clone could be rather easy, and for a much lower cost.

Anyway, I think a combo of traditional bowden and direct drive or even 2 bowden extruder + hotend setup should work fine for me... Depending on how well flexible filament works with bowden when printing with 3mm, I might just go for a dual bowden...
July 25, 2015 06:14PM
Mutley3D
Yea now that IS expensive, especially for what it is. Puts the flex into a markedly different light.
Again it depends on what your looking to achieve, with what budget etc etc. Ultimately with some experience over time you'll get a good feel for what you want and need. If this is a first printer id definately spend a couple/few weeks getting it tuned up on the single extruder first (believe me it wont happen overnight), repraps are Very time intensive, and whilst reaching for the stars is great with respect to multi filament, getting one working right is going to be your first challenge.

MegaRocketPenguin
Mutley3D

Yea, I'll probably just work on one and see how it feels. I just would like to have an idea of what I should get early on. I never used Bowden, and I never used 3mm or flexible filament, and thus am asking people who have.

Is my first printer, isn't the first time I used one. Basically, the company I interned for told me to fix the Makerbot they somehow managed to break (sarcasm. There is a reason you never see any makerbots running...) And I came back every year to fix it again. I have about two months worth of physical knowledge on 3d printers. So yes, this is my first time owning one, but not the first time tinkering with one. I have come to really hate the j head hotend (Makerbot rep2) and so would really like to replace it asap. (Folger's default is j head)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 06:15PM by MegaRocketPenguin.
July 25, 2015 07:31PM
JHeads are usually rock solid reliable unless its either a clone, or something else is wrong with the machine. Ask any experienced reprap people about original jheads and they will say the same. They are great for ABS PLA and flexibles, but not for high temp exotics.
Going to all metal hotends has its own issues aswell, especially blockages if a fan isnt used on the cold end, even then some can be troublesome.
In repsect of knowing what to go for, your own experiences will be your own best advice, Different things work for different peoples, jump into the channel (if your not already in there) and ask the questions. Plenty in there willing to help and provide insight/advice etc.
July 25, 2015 07:50PM
MegaRocketPenguin
Mutley3D

MegaRocketPenguin
Mutley3D

Yea, I'll probably just work on one and see how it feels. I just would like to have an idea of what I should get early on. I never used Bowden, and I never used 3mm or flexible filament, and thus am asking people who have.

Is my first printer, isn't the first time I used one. Basically, the company I interned for told me to fix the Makerbot they somehow managed to break (sarcasm. There is a reason you never see any makerbots running...) And I came back every year to fix it again. I have about two months worth of physical knowledge on 3d printers. So yes, this is my first time owning one, but not the first time tinkering with one. I have come to really hate the j head hotend (Makerbot rep2) and so would really like to replace it asap. (Folger's default is j head)

I've actually heard a lot of mixed thoughts on the j heads. I was using an original Makerbot rep2 jhead, and I always had printing issues. The last issue no one could solve, and had to leave it broken when I left (would extrude great for the first 10-20 layers, then would jam. Cleaned it, made sure everything was the correct tightness, tried temps from 180 to 230, used brand new Makerbot filament, nothing. Always failed. First thing I am doing when I go back next year is getting an e3d for it.)

I'd much rather have those issues over the jhead. Then again, for the first month or two I will be using the stock jhead on my new printer, so I shall see from there. Either way, I will need at least one more hotend, and I'd rather spend a little extra for an e3d than a jhead.

By channel, you mean the forums? Or is there an irc chat for this?

And yea, with my own experiences and all. I just don't want to drop a few hundred to learn when I could ask people who have already done that, and get the knowledge for free.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 07:53PM by MegaRocketPenguin.
July 25, 2015 10:09PM
You mention an "Original Makerbot rep2 JHead".......There is no such thing as a JHead on a Makerbot. JHead is a brand name that became a generic term (especially for chinese copiers) as the JHead had a very robust and wide spread reputation for being the best hot end of its day, and in many respects it still is.

There is only ONE JHead and that is made by RPW @ www.hotends.com , there are a few resellers that sell these items made only by RPW. There are far more sellers selling fakes/clones made to lower standards of workmanship, tolerances and quality. Ive got a couple of JHeads that have been running for nearly two year with no issue, but they are genuine, and correctly setup.

The issue you mention above regarding stopping after 10-20 layers, experience would tell me to firstly examine the peek tube on the inside, this is a classical symptom of a ptfe tube swelling inside the black PEEK barrel, and in doing so it restricts filament flow which stops not long into the print.

For ANY hotend, always make sure you have a small fan running to keep the cold end of the hot end cold (if that wasnt too confusingsmiling smiley)

As for experience, its never free, but yes in the IRC channel theres a whole bunch of friendly folk happy to help and save you time and money, sharing of experiences etc. Just follow the links from the forum for the IRC channel.
July 26, 2015 12:26AM
Double post, can't figure out how to delete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2015 12:29AM by MegaRocketPenguin.
July 26, 2015 12:28AM
MegaRocketPenguin
Mutley3D
You mention an "Original Makerbot rep2 JHead".......There is no such thing as a JHead on a Makerbot. JHead is a brand name that became a generic term (especially for chinese copiers) as the JHead had a very robust and wide spread reputation for being the best hot end of its day, and in many respects it still is.

There is only ONE JHead and that is made by RPW @ www.hotends.com , there are a few resellers that sell these items made only by RPW. There are far more sellers selling fakes/clones made to lower standards of workmanship, tolerances and quality. Ive got a couple of JHeads that have been running for nearly two year with no issue, but they are genuine, and correctly setup.

The issue you mention above regarding stopping after 10-20 layers, experience would tell me to firstly examine the peek tube on the inside, this is a classical symptom of a ptfe tube swelling inside the black PEEK barrel, and in doing so it restricts filament flow which stops not long into the print.

For ANY hotend, always make sure you have a small fan running to keep the cold end of the hot end cold (if that wasnt too confusingsmiling smiley)

As for experience, its never free, but yes in the IRC channel theres a whole bunch of friendly folk happy to help and save you time and money, sharing of experiences etc. Just follow the links from the forum for the IRC channel.

Him, didn't know that. I thought it was a style. Do all of those threaded tubes use PTFE? As you said, Makerbot doesn't use jheads. However, they do use the threaded tube... I was looking at it, and was thinking that perhaps that was the issue, but it looked like metal lining/solid metal hollow threaded tube. Beyond the Makerbot, I haven't disassembled any other hotends, so I wouldn't know. It was the only thing I could think of (we did try printing at high temps extensively) but I didn't realize it was PTFE. (Again, it looks like a solid metal tube) will probably have that replaced along with the nozzle (no idea what the source is on that either, but I do know I replaced it once already.)

I getr what you mean. The fan lost quite a few blades a year or two back, and was used as such, which could also explain part of the issue. I did however replace it this year, before the mid print failure.

I realize it isn't free, but it can be cheaper by learning off of other peoples money/knowledge/trials.
Him, didn't know that. I thought it was a style. Do all of those threaded tubes use PTFE? As you said, Makerbot doesn't use jheads. However, they do use the threaded tube... I was looking at it, and was thinking that perhaps that was the issue, but it looked like metal lining/solid metal hollow threaded tube. Beyond the Makerbot, I haven't disassembled any other hotends, so I wouldn't know. It was the only thing I could think of (we did try printing at high temps extensively) but I didn't realize it was PTFE. (Again, it looks like a solid metal tube) will probably have that replaced along with the nozzle (no idea what the source is on that either, but I do know I replaced it once already.)

I getr what you mean. The fan lost quite a few blades a year or two back, and was used as such, which could also explain part of the issue. I did however replace it this year, before the mid print failure.

I realize it isn't free, but it can be cheaper by learning off of other peoples money/knowledge/trials.

I'll look into that irc channel smiling smiley
August 09, 2015 10:24PM
Hello,

I am Brian Reifsnyder, the inventor of the J-Head hotend. Makerbot never used the J-Head. The chinese made many different cheap knock-offs of the J-head hot-end and spammed it all over the place. As a result, I stopped any serious innovation as I absolutely refuse to be china's unpaid reasearch and development department for J-Head hot-ends. Most "J-Heads" are now the cheap knock-offs. Because people have chosen the cheap knock-offs in order to save a few dollars, the cheap knock-offs will soon be all that is available.

If people want innovation, they need to support the innovators as opposed to the copiers. However, people have voted with their wallets and the results are in.

The same will happen to E3D once china gets it's way.

Best Regards,

Brian
August 09, 2015 10:59PM
You'd think with all the negative experience that people accumulate with cheap stuff they'd finally get the message and spend a few more $ to get quality. Maybe they don't/can't/won't learn or their finances don't permit anything but the cheapest of the cheap. Maybe the problem is an inability to distinguish between quality stuff and cheap stuff, especially when things like hot-ends look pretty much the same. Maybe they just don't care about quality. Maybe they don't see any point to putting a quality hot-end into a $300 printer (they may be right on this one!).

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login