Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hotend cooling via peltier

Posted by sungod3k 
Hotend cooling via peltier
May 16, 2015 04:27PM
Hi,

has anyone tried to cool the hotend with peltier elements? I can imagine putting copper sheets between the cooling ribs and then having one or two elements sucking out the heat. The movement of the head would dissipate the hot air.

Cheers
Re: Hotend cooling via peltier
May 16, 2015 08:16PM
i have experience with peltiers.
as a thumb rule, to dissipate 1w of heat and create a 30° difference from cold to hot side of the peltier element, you need a 2w peltier, and then you have 2+1=3w on the hot side of the peltier element to dissipate. if you don't remove these 3w very efficiently, you are heating the hotend instead of cooling it (and burning the peltier too)

impossible by the head movement alone.
you'd have to watercool the peltier. in this case just watercool the hotend.

peltiers are useful only if there is the need to go below ambient temperature, otherwise 99% chance you'd better not use it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2015 08:17PM by nasone32.
May 16, 2015 08:23PM
Aha, when I saw some offers on ebay they where sold with pretty hefty heatsink and fans. So I could my existing 30-40mm fan but since I only need to remove the air directly on the element I could have the fan run slower and therefore quieter right?
May 19, 2015 04:36PM
The question arises yet again. Why cool the hot end at all?

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
May 19, 2015 04:57PM
Jaguar, I assume s/he means the part above the heat break, i.e. where the heatsink goes on a normal hotend.
May 20, 2015 12:27AM
Yes indeed, the heatsink, Ill play around with that during the summer.

It will depend on the ability to dissipate the heat, its probably easier to find that are big enought to run so slow but still have enough pressure to force are through a funnel. I ordered some squirrel cage fans for model cooling depending how loud they run, they might be suitable for a hotend cooling funnel solution as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login