Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

pellet extruder??

Posted by fatesalign 
Re: pellet extruder??
December 07, 2015 10:41AM
Ciao,

here is a link but there are many others.
Just made my order.
Alessandro
December 07, 2015 11:58AM
Thanks for linking! smiling smiley

Haven't purchased via Alibaba before, this will be new experience smiling smiley
December 07, 2015 12:50PM
Ciao,

just be very clear on what you want and do the deals via Alibaba system so that you are covered 100%.

PS. dealing with the reps is a real pain sometimes!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2015 06:07AM by biskero.
December 15, 2015 09:58AM
Ciao,

btw, not sure if anyone saw this printer [www.youtube.com]

No details on how the pellets extruder works.

Alessandro
July 04, 2016 06:20AM
Ciao,

just wanted to update on my progress on the big printer with dual pellet extruder.
The progress has been slow since I ordered various pieces at different times and it slowed the process.
Also did some mistakes ! smiling smiley

Anyway, got all the pieces and changes a bit some.
The blocks are now aluminum instead of stainless steel for 2 reasons, first needed a bigger block to heat up the tube with pellet and drill bit and second steel sucks at heat conductivity.

I am doing some tests to fine tune the marlin firmware, here is a picture of the extruder

So right now I am having some issues to heat the aluminum block which is 50mm height and it cannot go above 210C !
My resistance 3.8 ohm cartridge heater is 12v 40watt 50mm height, got it from Alibaba.

I performed PID Autotune and got the following with a M303 E0 S200 C8 command: Kp: 57.84 Ki: 1.31 Kd: 640.15

Alessandro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2016 08:34AM by biskero.
July 04, 2016 10:53AM
Looks nice! You might need a second heater cartridge or a larger first one, that's a big block to heat with a 40w cartridge. Maybe insulate the block with glassfibre wool, or something, you must be losing a lot of heat from the large surface area.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
July 04, 2016 11:46AM
That's my next move as to use some type of insulator to keep heat on the block.

Also tried another cartridge 30mm and could reach 218.
Looks like the one I ordered from Alibaba 50mm specs are off.

Will do more tests tomorrow and will update here
July 04, 2016 02:17PM
Very interesting! Hope to see more of the machine soon.
July 04, 2016 02:47PM
Will post pictures as soon as possible, you can check the FB/Twitter page too.

I found another pellet 3d printer

Looks pretty cool but really expensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2016 02:47PM by biskero.
July 12, 2016 01:22PM
Ciao,

I published a video for the first test of pellet extruder

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2016 01:22PM by biskero.
August 04, 2016 06:10AM
Check this sound

VIDEO: [youtu.be]

I design for my larger printer, it is not finish now so i need more valuable comment from all of you.

Take a look,

Thank you

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2016 06:13AM by soantown.
Attachments:
open | download - EEEEE (2).jpg (108.3 KB)
open | download - eeeee.jpg (33.7 KB)
August 04, 2016 07:08AM
Ciao,

looks very interesting.
How do you heat the pellet?
Looks like your cartridge is at the very end of the extruder.
Do you have issues with pellet not melting fast enough?

Also any issues with the motors?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2016 08:14AM by biskero.
August 07, 2016 12:54PM
Ciao,

just wanted to share the latest build of the dual pellet extruder

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2016 08:48AM by biskero.
October 07, 2016 05:51PM
Ciao,

just wanted to share an update on the pellet extruders which changed a bit from the pics above.
I can extrude HIPS pellets but I am having issues with carbon fiber pellets which are half the size of the HIPS and my guess is that they float instead of been pushed down.

I will post some pics as soon as possible but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thx.
October 09, 2016 05:05PM
Loving these. Bringing some future uses to pellets and recycled plastics.

What I really want to find is a cheaper shredder for plastics to make the pellets. At the moment they are industrial and very expensive designs to have made and cut. For say the home user wanting to shred a small water bottle they only need a small shredder to do that, not an expensive industrial shredder.
January 26, 2017 02:27AM
Hi all,
I know this is an old topic, but was wondering if anyone had a reasonable amount of success or experience with pellet extrusion? I sell large printers and would like to consider pellet printing, if it is in fact upto a reasonable quality standard...
I don't care about no retraction as much...I'm mostly interested if the pellet extruders spurt or spew air often? I can fix ooze a different way. I see several designs out there for pellet extruders, and it seems none really needs a heatsink fan...I guess as long as the pellets come in solid and leave liquid eh?
Thanks in advance for any advice anyone is willing to share!
Jared
March 28, 2017 11:46AM
Ciao,

I will post the progress of my 3d printer dual pellet extruder in the coming weeks, did a lot of R&D this winter for both the 3d printer and my project.

In the mean time I wanted to share the progress of other pellet extruders projects from others and the most interesting one is this:

[www.thingiverse.com]

Alessandro
April 26, 2017 03:42PM
ciao,

here is the latest build for the pellet extruder

April 26, 2017 10:54PM
Quick idea without much thought afterwards because I need to go to bed... to remedy the "can't retract" problem, what if you hook up a small vacuum to the nozzle somehow to "pull" the material up a bit, or at the very least have it just strong enough to keep any from seeping out. Thoughts? This is an interesting topic, and despite the nay-sayers, ill stay optimistic in that I think that while it may never get quite as good as filament, we engineers, tinkerers, and makers can get one working to make acceptable, if not halfway - decent and worthy, prints.
April 27, 2017 03:17AM
ciao,

actually it can retract, here some discussion [www.thingiverse.com]
May 18, 2017 01:24PM
Ciao,

just wanted to share an update on the pellet extruder.
I redesign the hotend aluminum block since the previous one had some issues.
Now is thinner 20mm and has clamp style lock for the stainless steel tube that goes into the block.
Also reduced the nozzle M6/M7 screw height from 13mm (vulcano style) to 7mm standard nozzle screw.
In addition I ordered some new stainless steel nozzle M6/M7 with 3mm enter hole which I will enlarge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2017 01:24PM by biskero.
June 08, 2017 07:27AM
Hello,

just an update on the pellet extruder, I received the aluminum block updated as the design above, they look nice, next some testing

July 03, 2017 03:11PM
wanted to share the mounted dual extruder on the printer.
Will start to do calibration in the next few days

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2017 03:12PM by biskero.
February 12, 2018 02:40AM
Have a look at this one, it works very well [www.youtube.com]
February 12, 2018 04:19AM
Ciao Paolo,

I saw the video and looks pretty cool, seems working very well.
Any more details how it was made?

I am going soon to work on mine as I was on a break from my project.

Please share your finding so that we all can improve our designs, I believe pellet extruder are the future.
February 12, 2018 05:14AM
Hi, pls give me yr email or write to the one you see in the video
February 12, 2018 05:18AM
I comment on the video.

one question is about the extruder block is aluminum and I imagine you have a drill bit, is that part steel?
I am asking because in my project I will be using Carbon Fiber so the drill bit, the tube and the nozzle are all steel, the extruder block is only used to heat these parts

thx
September 27, 2018 07:48AM
Hi there,

I am very curious about that pellet extruder. It has huge potential to
start using recycled prints or use plastic from household garbage, like
PE oder PP.

I am planing to buy a new printer for the universal pellet extruder or
clones but don't have any ideas about the proper features of the printer
for such an extruder.

The Creality CR-10s has two z-axis and a big print volume. This would be
in my price range. I think this would be a better design for an heavier
extruder – or not? Which printer do you suggest for pellet extruders.
What are the bottle necks?

Kind regards
Trude
October 06, 2018 06:02PM
I think his post makes a good point. With a pellet hopper there is no viable way to maintain a rapid printer. It’s impossible no matter the amount of ongoing research the mere physics won’t allow it t ever exceed rapid print speeds. Can it print in high resolution? To this day still not very well and even the $50,000 large format printers have terrible looking prints. Ultimately it will come down to what the intended use is. I think the future is in making one’s own filament and that’s where the cost savings for 3D Printing will be. Although today there is not any really good hobby level solutions in 2-3 years that may change. Also if costs continue to drop and quality improves where filament can be extruded In a cost effective way while maintaining a consistent diameter throughout where you’re not making filament that continually clogs in your ptfe tubing. So in regard to grave yard I agree to that statement. Where we may see an advantage is eventual benchtop thermal injection where initial design is done on a 3D Printer, a mold is made on a benchtop CNC mill, and then brought to the benchtop injection molding machine where consistent and fast production can be achieved given the size of the users machinery. That’s where I think pellets will progress besides making your own filament however it will require multiple machines, yet it’s still within the realm of serious hobbysists.
January 20, 2020 11:48AM
Just an update on the 3D printer I developed.
I updated the board to control the 3D printer to a SKR Pro 1.0, 32 bit board.

Some of the problems I faced were related to the RAMPS so with this new board not issues.
Also now I am using Marlin 2.0 so a lot of new features like sensorless homing which simplify the 3d Printer.

I have posted some videos if anyone is interested in the ongoing progress.

hackebike [www.twitter.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login