Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reuse BST 1200es 3D Printer platforms?

Posted by iamdarkyoshi 
Reuse BST 1200es 3D Printer platforms?
April 10, 2015 01:31PM
Our school uses one of these printers, but only rarely as the beds can only be used once, and they arent cheap. Does anyone know how to fool the machine into printing on a used bed that has been cleaned off? My teacher says that no matter how well cleaned, it can tell that the bed has been used and refuses to use it.
Re: Reuse BST 1200es 3D Printer platforms?
April 11, 2015 11:30PM
I'm guessing they have chipped the beds.. Ie there is an eeprom on it that they set to used.

Sadly this is a common practice by big asshole companies trying to screw over the little guy for consumables, normally for filament or ink.
April 11, 2015 11:32PM
I know the filament cartidges use some sort of chip (that can be bypassed by making an image of the machine's hard drive, using the filament, then flashing the previous image) but I just scanned over one of the beds and there are no contacts or embedded metal that I could detect with a HDD magnet. And there shouldnt be. The vendor claims "recycleable print platforms" to make it seem like less of a waste. Could the printhead have some sort of depth/optical sensor for reading the platform?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2015 11:37PM by iamdarkyoshi.
April 12, 2015 12:59AM
When our SST 768 at work won't reuse a modeling base it comes after a bed-leveling routine, so it seems to be because it has decided the base is either bent, twisted, or both. There is likely a limit to how much you can deform the base while removing the parts before it takes a permanent set and your model of machine may even be more critically affected by the heat cycles. It would probably reuse them if you could figure out a way to get them flat again.
April 12, 2015 01:02AM
IMBoring25
When our SST 768 at work won't reuse a modeling base it comes after a bed-leveling routine, so it seems to be because it has decided the base is either bent, twisted, or both. There is likely a limit to how much you can deform the base while removing the parts before it takes a permanent set and your model of machine may even be more critically affected by the heat cycles. It would probably reuse them if you could figure out a way to get them flat again.

Thanks! So if the bed is flat enough, it should be fine with it? I wonder if one could coat the bed with something (ie gluestick) and soak it after a print...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login