Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CTC 2nd Gen Printer giving me an error. HELP!

Posted by OO DURKE OO 
CTC 2nd Gen Printer giving me an error. HELP!
April 09, 2015 06:22PM
I'm getting an error

"Heater Error!
My temperature reads are failing! Please check my connections."

Any idea of the cause and how to fix this? Some plastic has been getting stuck on the print head I have been wiping or brushing it off gently. Do you think the thermistor is broken? If so how do I fix it?

Or would cleaning the print head fix this?

It will not heat up at all it gets to about 30 degrees C then I get the error above.

The only changes I have made to my machine recently was installing Clear Plastic windows on it with a vent kit.

I have a 2nd Gen Black CTC printer which is a makerbot clone. I am in need of help here and don't know where to go with it.
Re: CTC 2nd Gen Printer giving me an error. HELP!
April 09, 2015 07:21PM
CTC printers use thermocouples instead of thermistors, they screwed in the heater block and they are not really good at all. I change mine withing few months of purchasing the printer, just clean the washers with a fine sand paper and see if you get a reading. Also check the connection at the main board, they might have come loose or the cable broke.
April 10, 2015 02:37PM
The connection seems good on all ports. The thermistor is the white hose that is attached with the allen key and washer right?
April 10, 2015 02:38PM
thermocouple*
April 10, 2015 03:13PM
Is there an easy way to upgrade my firmware? I tried using makerware and replicatorG it said it uploaded new firmware but now nothing is being displayed on the front LED screen. I need to know how to fix this do you know of any good instructionals for uploading a new firmware?
April 10, 2015 04:18PM
replicator is saying it has firmware 7.6 but my LED screen isnt working with this firmware. Previously I had 7.1 on it.
April 10, 2015 04:20PM
This is the code replicatorG is showing as well.

[14:56:11] Estimating build time and scanning code for errors...
[14:56:13] Estimated build time is: 23 mins
[14:56:13] Beginning build.
[14:56:13] offsets deprecated in firmware: 7.6
[14:57:55] Build Canceled by Printer
[14:58:08] gcode sourcereplicatorg.app.gcode.MutableGCodeSource@a5d82a
[14:58:08] readFromEEPROM fail for: 366 size: 1
[14:58:08] readFromEEPROM PR is: replicatorg.drivers.gen3.PacketResponse@c26acd
[14:59:00] gcode sourcereplicatorg.app.gcode.MutableGCodeSource@1318e59
[14:59:01] readFromEEPROM fail for: 366 size: 1
[14:59:01] readFromEEPROM PR is: replicatorg.drivers.gen3.PacketResponse@bbaccd
April 10, 2015 06:26PM
Never mind I got the firmware sorted out. Now I just have to deal with the thermocoupler error.
April 10, 2015 07:12PM
A lot of posts lol sorry.

So I filed the washer that goes to the white cable a bit and the same error was still showing.

So then I took out the thermocoupler which is the tube inserted into the block next to that white line. it was blued from heat wear and had some plastic so I carefully got it out and cleaned it. The line going to it looked good 2 wires still in at both ends and it was hard to tell but it didnt look like there was plastic on it.

So what do you think?

Probably have to replace the thermo coupler? If so where can I find one?
April 10, 2015 09:12PM
Can you provide me a good place to buy a replacement and also show me what you replaced yours with? I really am not looking forward to rewiring the extruders but it looks like I have to :-(
April 11, 2015 03:59AM
Now you see why I mentioned to you on the other post the need to cut and rewired all the cables coming from board to extruder.

Get the newest version of sailfish and update your printer with it.

Thermocouple:

Direct replacement:
[www.aliexpress.com]

Will need different heater block but worth it:
[www.aliexpress.com]
April 11, 2015 04:04AM
I purchased both, but using second one because with the different heater block the probe goes into the block instead of using a bolt to transfer temperature to it.
April 12, 2015 09:04AM
7.6 didnt seem to work I was however able to upload 7.5 to my printer which seems to be able to display things on my led. I didn't see a different heating block listed on those links. Is it necessary? I kind of like that this one doesnt use a screw in barrel.
April 12, 2015 09:05AM
what do you think of this thermocouple?

[wanhaousa.com]
April 12, 2015 11:13AM
ggherbaz
Now you see why I mentioned to you on the other post the need to cut and rewired all the cables coming from board to extruder.

Get the newest version of sailfish and update your printer with it.

Thermocouple:

Direct replacement:
[www.aliexpress.com]

Will need different heater block but worth it:
[www.aliexpress.com]

I notice these have different connectors where as right now my board just has a direct link to the wire in the port. How did you get those to attach to your board? Did you just remove the eye connector? or did you bend it in some fashion to make it fit into the port on the board?
April 12, 2015 11:25PM
This is the heater block:

[www.aliexpress.com]

On the thermocouple just take out the ends and use bare wires.
April 12, 2015 11:30PM
the main issue with that thermocouple is that washer rust pretty quick and reading is far from accurate since it is outside the heater block instead of close to nozzle.
April 13, 2015 09:43AM
So what is the difference between the 2 that causes the need for the new block? Is it just the width of the heating element?
April 13, 2015 09:59AM
First thermocouple it's attached to the washer and that washer is bolted to the block, second thermocouple is inserted in the block so temperature readings are from inner block close to nozzle.

Regular heater blocks don't have the extra set screws to hold the thermocouple in place, and the hole isn't deeper enough for it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login