Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Okay to expose ABS to lubricants?

Posted by DRobs86 
Okay to expose ABS to lubricants?
March 25, 2015 12:04AM
I am planning on having an ABS printed part in an application that will be constantly exposed to WD-40, grease, oils, and other lubricants. Will there be any issues? Will the part be 100% unaffected?

Thanks.
Re: Okay to expose ABS to lubricants?
March 25, 2015 12:54AM
WD-40 will damage the part, anything with a solvent will eventually soften or damage the part. Maybe if you make it completely solid and seal it protective coating will work.
March 25, 2015 09:57AM
Hmm. Thanks to the reply. I may brush the part with epoxy for good measure. Do we know of any lubricants that are abs safe? Wd40 is a poor choice as a long term lubricant any way. What about bearing grease, white lithium grease, etc... they don't contain any kind of solvents, do they?
March 25, 2015 12:27PM
Silicone lubricants, lithium grease, dry teflon are all safe. CRC makes a plastic safe lubricant that is similar to WD-40 in a does-everything "lubricant" (yes, WD-40 isn't intended as a lubricant...).
March 25, 2015 01:08PM
You could print in nylon? Not tried it myself, and I believe it requires a high extrusion temperature, but the filament is available.
March 25, 2015 06:09PM
you can use Vaseline as well, it is great for slide bearings, use sparingly a little goes a long way.
March 26, 2015 09:41AM
I use synthetic bearing grease made by valvoline. It has not effected my ABS parts at all. however I do not use plastic bearings yet. The grease touches the plastic carriages that hold the bearings. It did not effect it in 8 months of exposure.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
March 26, 2015 12:45PM
Thanks for all the input guys.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login