Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Afinia filament on Reprap

Posted by Bratan 
Afinia filament on Reprap
March 23, 2015 10:50PM
Scored some really cheap ABS filament (made for Afinia H printers) from Radioshack store that went out of business. Now I'm reading specs and scratching my head. It says Extrusion temperature: 260-270° C
That's pretty high, I normally print at 225C... Should I be able to print at lower temp, or I'm out of luck?
I have prusa i3 rework btw with standard J-head (non-metal).

Here's what I found on Afinia website:
The Premium ABS filament has been designed specifically to the specifications of the H-Series 3D printer, the most important being the 260° Celsius extrusion temperature. The Value-Line filament has an extrusion temperature range between 210 and 250° Celsius. This range allows for broad support among a number of different 3D printers on the market.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 10:54PM by Bratan.
Re: Afinia filament on Reprap
March 24, 2015 01:11AM
Their premium filament might have some additives that require higher temperatures (most likely nylon)

I have some "high quality " ABS that I can only print from 245 and up, anything under and won't print right, you should be able to print at lower than 260, but don't know if at 225.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2015 01:13AM by ggherbaz.
March 24, 2015 09:08AM
ggherbaz
Their premium filament might have some additives that require higher temperatures (most likely nylon)

I have some "high quality " ABS that I can only print from 245 and up, anything under and won't print right, you should be able to print at lower than 260, but don't know if at 225.
Ah I see, thanks for the info! I'm trying to upgrade to E3D v6 hotend hopefully it'll be able to handle it. Otherwise I'll just eBay it....
March 27, 2015 10:18AM
One more question. Does higher temperature ABS printing also requires my Heatbed to be hotter? If that's the case, I certainly don't want to use this filament...
March 27, 2015 05:55PM
No, bed can be at 100~110 since nylon only needs 80 to stick.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login