Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My take on the Ingentis and problems

Posted by cjdj3 
My take on the Ingentis and problems
March 23, 2015 10:36PM
So I had a one week holiday from school, which to me was the perfect opportunity to build my printer that I've designed. It's based on the Ingentis and the Eustathios. The reason I designed it and didn't just use the Ingentis is because I enjoy doing things myself, and I learned a thing or two about 3D designing in the process of building this printer.

Anyways, here it is:

As you can see it's pretty much a Eusthios-Ingentis mashup in that it has the Eustathios mechanism but uses spectra line.

Finally got the thing up and running after a week of solid tinkering (literally wake up, tinker, go to the hardware store, eat, sleep, repeat) but I've got a frustrating issue that ran into when doing the first prints.

So I designed the printer for use with some 10mm long carbon infused stainless steel bushings. They are supposedly for 5/16 rods and so I bought some 5/16 drill rod to go along with it. Then I designed and printed the entire gantry mechanism for use with these bearings and rods. This didn't go well. There was too much clearance between the bearings and the rods for some reason, probably because they were just the wrong bearings for the jobs. This resulted in two problems. First of all the slop caused a sort of backlash-type issue when printing. When the spectra pulled on the XY block, the entire XY block would tilt a little since there was so much clearance. The second problem was weird: there was vibration when either the X or the Y axis moved - the bushings were stuttering while printing. I'm pretty sure it's the same problem this guy was having: [forums.reprap.org]

I figured these problems were because of the bad bearings, so I bought some brass oil impregnated bearings to use instead.

The steel ones i had before are on the left. The ones I have now are on the right,

I redesigned the whole thing to use these new brass bearings along with LM8uus for the print head. The whole thing slid much smoother altogether and there was little clearance between the rods and the bushings so I was very confident with the whole thing working.

Finally got it set up and this is what happens:

You might not be able to tell but there is still vibration/stutter when printing on both axes. The odd thing is there's much more vibration on the Y axis than the X axis. I don't understand why because both axes are almost identical.

Here's a video of moving the printer by hand:

[www.youtube.com]

As you can see there's a bit of resistance, but it moves fine when running it with motors.

Does anyone have any ideas? Everything should be aligned so I don't see where this problem is coming from. Should I have used self aligning bearings?
Re: My take on the Ingentis and problems
March 23, 2015 11:44PM
I don't have a printer of my own, but I'm a long time lurker.
I'm wondering if the wires from the steppers are wired to the driver board in the wrong order. If you could set things up to do a step then pause and repeat you should see it moving forward in uniform sized steps. If it jerks backwards some times that would be the problem. Putting a cloths pin/clamp on the moving shaft will help you see the movements more easily.
March 24, 2015 12:48AM
RonN
I'm wondering if the wires from the steppers are wired to the driver board in the wrong order. If you could set things up to do a step then pause and repeat you should see it moving forward in uniform sized steps. If it jerks backwards some times that would be the problem. Putting a cloths pin/clamp on the moving shaft will help you see the movements more easily.

I did the clothesline thing and there was uniform motion when doing same direction movements. Also, when I connect the steppers back into my old printer, this problem is nonexistent, so I don't think it's the electronics.

I did (I think) notice some very very slight "backlash" when moving back and forth in 1mm increments. This is weird because all my fishing line is tight and everything is secure. Also when actually printing, there are no noticeable backlash problems. Might just be all in my head since I've been staring at this thing for the last 5 hours.
March 24, 2015 04:15AM
cjdj3
RonN

I did the clothesline thing and there was uniform motion when doing same direction movements. Also, when I connect the steppers back into my old printer, this problem is nonexistent, so I don't think it's the electronics.

I did (I think) notice some very very slight "backlash" when moving back and forth in 1mm increments. This is weird because all my fishing line is tight and everything is secure. Also when actually printing, there are no noticeable backlash problems. Might just be all in my head since I've been staring at this thing for the last 5 hours.

Double check the wiring like was said above. either there is a loose connection or something is wired the wrong way around. Are the electronics identical on both printers?

Id be sceptical of fishing line. Im sure there is a bit of strech in it....
March 24, 2015 09:58AM
wes1007
cjdj3
RonN

Double check the wiring like was said above. either there is a loose connection or something is wired the wrong way around. Are the electronics identical on both printers?

Id be sceptical of fishing line. Im sure there is a bit of strech in it....

Just checked the wiring again. Nothing seems to be loose or switched up. The electronics are identical on both printers.

I must mention that when moving the printer while unpowered I sometimes will hear and feel a sort of squeak/vibration coming from the bushings.

Maybe it's imperfections in the printed pulleys? Next step is to drill holes in the rod itself and try without pulleys. If that doesn't work I think it's time to order some belts and give up on the whole fishing line concept.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2015 10:00AM by cjdj3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login