Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Proximity sensor for glass beds?

Posted by sungod3k 
Proximity sensor for glass beds?
March 22, 2015 12:00AM
Hi,

is there any non physical proximity sensor available that works on pure glass or needs so little resistance that aluminium foil would work?

Cheers
Re: Proximity sensor for glass beds?
March 22, 2015 05:38AM
Yes, I have a sensor that uses 2 infrared beams to detect height above a glass surface. See [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. It's designed for the Ormerod, but some people are using them on other printers including Prusa i3 and delta. I am about to build a fresh batch. More details in the Ormerod forum.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 22, 2015 11:19AM
I use capacitive proximity sensors, they work on glass. Some people said they are not reliable, but I have used them for several months now without any problems.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_2015032231983.jpg (34.2 KB)
open | download - IMG_201503224462.jpg (35 KB)
open | download - IMG_2015032257296.jpg (63.1 KB)
March 22, 2015 12:39PM
Aha did have to write your own voltage table or did you set it up like the capacitative ones?
March 22, 2015 01:00PM
Did you meant inductive? Or the question was for dc42?

I powered from main supply (12 volts ) and signal wire goes to an LM7805 regulator and from there to the ramps board. No tables or offsets needed so far. Print with PLA and ABS, PCB heated bed with glass on top.
March 22, 2015 01:14PM
Yes sry i meant inductive ones.

The capacitative ones seem more expensive did you tinker that all yourself or did you find a kit?
March 22, 2015 01:30PM
sungod3k
Aha did have to write your own voltage table or did you set it up like the capacitative ones?

Is this question is addressed to me? If so...

My differential IR probe has an on-board microcontroller, so it can process the signal in various ways. With the standard firmware, it produces two digital outputs, which are normally mixed on the board to produce a single analog output. This is good for feeding into the Z probe input of Duet electronics. The analog output rises from 0 to about 465 (out of 1023) when the probe is slightly above the trigger height, to signal the printer controller to slow down the descent rate. At the trigger height, the reading increases to 565 and a LED on the board illuminates. The trigger height is about 3mm above the bed.

Most 3D printer electronics other than the Duet expect the Z probe to be (or to simulate) a normally-closed switch. My board can simulate such a Z probe by removing one resistor, so that the output changes from low when above trigger height, to high when at/below trigger height.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

March 22, 2015 01:37PM
The printer it's of my own creation based on a Prusa i3.

Yes the capacitive sensors cost a little more and they are heavy, better suited for bowden than direct drive but I print slow so it doesn't bother me. The sensing distance and able to measure the top of the glass and not metal under is what it gets me to try, use and pay extra for them.
March 22, 2015 01:41PM
ggherbaz
Yes the capacitive sensors cost a little more and they are heavy, better suited for bowden than direct drive but I print slow so it doesn't bother me. The sensing distance and able to measure the top of the glass and not metal under is what it gets me to try, use and pay extra for them.

If you do some tests, I think you will find that you are not actually measuring the distance to the top surface of the glass, but measuring distance to the bed plate underneath modified by the dielectric constant of the glass. So if you change the thickness of the glass, the trigger height will alter; unless you have the glass covered with Kapton tape or something else that is slightly conductive.

March 23, 2015 02:04AM
dc42,

Haven't have any problems with it. Haven't change the offset for about 2 months now, and I haven't lost any prints to bed adhesion nor my prints are deformed in any way (Plain glass from Lowe's).

Yes I know that might be some better systems, but this one is working fine for me.

Thanks for the info.
March 24, 2015 01:10PM
@ggherbaz, can you share the sensor that you're using?
March 24, 2015 05:28PM
Pibot sell an IR reflection endstop that might work on glass. [www.pibot.com]

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
March 24, 2015 05:53PM
Oh nice, that looks like a perfect solution
March 25, 2015 01:09AM
This one:

[www.amazon.com]

But what 3DKarma posted looks really nice, cheaper, smaller and pretty advance........ I will give it a try on my next printer.
March 25, 2015 04:44PM
I ordered one of the pibot sensors and they also told me that they will have a video up soon where they set up the sensor for autoleveling.
March 26, 2015 11:40AM
Those look cool.
Any idea on the precision compared to the normal switches?
June 06, 2015 08:06PM
Hi,
How did you get on with the Pibot sensor?
Thinking about getting one but need to know weather they work with a glass bed and also how acurate?

Regards
Kevin
June 14, 2015 06:36AM
Hi,
How did you get on with the Pibot sensor?
Thinking about getting one but need to know weather they work with a glass bed and also how acurate?

Regards
Kevin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login