Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help materials choice for Prusa I3

Posted by 3DPRINTER 
Help materials choice for Prusa I3
March 21, 2015 11:59PM

Hello,
I would like to build Prusa I3 version wood.
However, I have several questions to ask for materials.

For the engines Nema 17 do you think that these engines sold by this seller are reliable and compatible?
[www.aliexpress.com]

For the hot end part, I hesitate between several models:
- E3D V5 or V6
- Hexagon
- AluhotendV7

- J-Head Mk V-BV

Which model do you advise me?
For you, which model is most reliable?

For the mechanical part ,Where i can find the smooth rod of 8 mm available to Europe shipping?

I hope I posted in the good section
Cordialy ,
Re: Help materials choice for Prusa I3
March 22, 2015 11:34AM
I have purchased all my motors and electronics from Aliexpress, those motors are good enough.

As a newcomer, will be best to start with an original J head, once you gain knowledge you can get an all metal hotend. The e3d V6 will be the best, I have an hexagon and they are good but they are delicate and have some issues with PLA, I have also a V5 and unless you mod them PLA will be problematic too.

I have 2 geeetch j heads (the ones with PTFE liners) but the good ones have a protruding bolt on top and you will have to design your own connection or modify it to fit standard ones, they are pretty cheap and good, but you will need to know how to set them right for them to work properly.
March 22, 2015 11:43AM
ggherbaz
I have purchased all my motors and electronics from Aliexpress, those motors are good enough.

As a newcomer, will be best to start with an original J head, once you gain knowledge you can get an all metal hotend. The e3d V6 will be the best, I have an hexagon and they are good but they are delicate and have some issues with PLA, I have also a V5 and unless you mod them PLA will be problematic too.

I have 2 geeetch j heads (the ones with PTFE liners) but the good ones have a protruding bolt on top and you will have to design your own connection or modify it to fit standard ones, they are pretty cheap and good, but you will need to know how to set them right for them to work properly.

Thanks for your answer
Why not start with e3d V6 or Hexagon?
What is the problem with the pla?
Can you explain me please.
March 22, 2015 01:22PM
You can start with an all metal hotend as long as you can Identify and segregate extruder and extrusion issues (Not everyone can) .

The new V6 have a PTFE liner in the cold zone of the hotend that help with transition from cold to hot zones, the old V5 doesn't have it unless you mod it, so in long prints or high extrusion temperatures, PLA will plug in the cold zone ruining your print. You need to use a hefty cooling system or a push-pull one, same with the Hexagon (btw the minimalistic fan that comes with it is useless) .

For someone starting in 3d printing identity if the problem comes from the hotend or the extruder isn't simple, that's why I mentioned the J head, it will be one less problem out of the equation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2015 01:24PM by ggherbaz.
March 23, 2015 03:02PM
ggherbaz
You can start with an all metal hotend as long as you can Identify and segregate extruder and extrusion issues (Not everyone can) .

The new V6 have a PTFE liner in the cold zone of the hotend that help with transition from cold to hot zones, the old V5 doesn't have it unless you mod it, so in long prints or high extrusion temperatures, PLA will plug in the cold zone ruining your print. You need to use a hefty cooling system or a push-pull one, same with the Hexagon (btw the minimalistic fan that comes with it is useless) .

For someone starting in 3d printing identity if the problem comes from the hotend or the extruder isn't simple, that's why I mentioned the J head, it will be one less problem out of the equation.

Ok thanks for your answers.
I asked this because i prefer invest more for durable hot end.
Soo the V6 is better than V5?
March 24, 2015 07:03AM
Up!
March 24, 2015 10:00AM
The V5 works as fine as the V6. V6 is more compact, so measures and weight less. I like the way the thermistor is fixed with a screw on the V6. I dislike the small 30x30x10mm fan on the V6 for many reasons. The fan's efficiency reaches its limits at very high temperatures. It cost more than the 40mm for less efficiency, it's difficult to find silent or powerful 30mm fans at reasonable price. Maybe you'll never find a 30mm 24v fan, if you want to power your printer with this voltage. The size of the V6 makes an upgrade to a 40mm fan not that easy. BUT, if you plan to use multiple extruders, then the 40mm upgrade will fit perfectly with 2 V6 side by side.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
March 24, 2015 02:18PM
Zavashier
The V5 works as fine as the V6. V6 is more compact, so measures and weight less. I like the way the thermistor is fixed with a screw on the V6. I dislike the small 30x30x10mm fan on the V6 for many reasons. The fan's efficiency reaches its limits at very high temperatures. It cost more than the 40mm for less efficiency, it's difficult to find silent or powerful 30mm fans at reasonable price. Maybe you'll never find a 30mm 24v fan, if you want to power your printer with this voltage. The size of the V6 makes an upgrade to a 40mm fan not that easy. BUT, if you plan to use multiple extruders, then the 40mm upgrade will fit perfectly with 2 V6 side by side.
Ok thanks.
For you ,what is the best hotend betwen V5 and V6?
What about the hexagon?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2015 02:19PM by 3DPRINTER.
March 24, 2015 02:27PM
Ive not tried the v5 or v6 but have got the hexagon after using j-head's.
The hexagon is very good and ive had no jams or problems.
I switch between pla, abs, ninja flex and now nylon without any problems.
You have to keep a fan on the fins at all times when the hot end is hot or it could jam.

I especially like that i can switch between nozxle sizes between 0.3 and 0.5mm.
Im about to try a 0.2mm but switching nozzles isnt advisable till youve got everything working properly with one size 8deally a 0.4mm.
Especially as you need to swap them while the nozzle is at full temperature.

The latest one has a screw on plate on the heater block to keep the thermistor and heater secure. Very good idea.
I would buy another one without hesitation.

Gordon
March 24, 2015 05:12PM
3DPRINTER
What about the hexagon?
The V6 is the evolution of the V5, so, because of the improvements it's better. I never used Hexagon or JHead nozzles. But there's something I don't like on the Jhead, it's the single heat-block nozzle. It's expensive to change it, and you can't find any size you want. On the Hexagon, I don't like the nozzle, I had a similar one delivered with my kit. I prefer the E3D style nozzle, with a flat end which allows to better squeese the fused filament on the bed/part. Otherhand, you have more grip on a larger hex nozzle. Two good point for the E3D nozzle. Maybe you can mount it on the Hexagon too. Anyway, the Hexagon have a good reputation through.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
March 26, 2015 08:28PM
gordonendersby
Ive not tried the v5 or v6 but have got the hexagon after using j-head's.
The hexagon is very good and ive had no jams or problems.
I switch between pla, abs, ninja flex and now nylon without any problems.
You have to keep a fan on the fins at all times when the hot end is hot or it could jam.

I especially like that i can switch between nozxle sizes between 0.3 and 0.5mm.
Im about to try a 0.2mm but switching nozzles isnt advisable till youve got everything working properly with one size 8deally a 0.4mm.
Especially as you need to swap them while the nozzle is at full temperature.

The latest one has a screw on plate on the heater block to keep the thermistor and heater secure. Very good idea.
I would buy another one without hesitation.

Gordon
Zavashier
3DPRINTER
What about the hexagon?
The V6 is the evolution of the V5, so, because of the improvements it's better. I never used Hexagon or JHead nozzles. But there's something I don't like on the Jhead, it's the single heat-block nozzle. It's expensive to change it, and you can't find any size you want. On the Hexagon, I don't like the nozzle, I had a similar one delivered with my kit. I prefer the E3D style nozzle, with a flat end which allows to better squeese the fused filament on the bed/part. Otherhand, you have more grip on a larger hex nozzle. Two good point for the E3D nozzle. Maybe you can mount it on the Hexagon too. Anyway, the Hexagon have a good reputation through.

Thanks for your answers and your help.
I have questions , the HEXAGON and the E3D adapts on the wade extruder?
[reprap.org]

Where i can buy smooth rods with delivery in france?
I have find somes rods , what do you think?
[www.ebay.de]
[www.ebay.de]
March 27, 2015 11:32AM
The Hexagon and the E3D V5 have a Jhead type attachment base, so they will fit most of extruders. The E3D V6 is different, you will need parts that allows its mounting, the Skarab's geared extruder on thingiverse exists in JHead (for exagon, V5...) or E3D V6 attachment. For the rods, you can find some on Aliexpress, they're generaly good quality and reasonable price. In france and like your links on ebay, the shipping costs are too expensive. Most of the time that rods came from china anyways. You can find hardened steel rods at blockenstock.com or tridistribution.fr but I'm affraid it will be much more expensive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login