Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't upload firmware to sanguinololu 1.3a, can control with Pronterface (Windows 8.1)

Posted by jordoo 
Can't upload firmware to sanguinololu 1.3a, can control with Pronterface (Windows 8.1)
February 22, 2015 03:28PM
Hi everyone, I'm new on the RepRap Forum.
I bought a pre-build reprap Air 2 and I'm having problems with uploading firmware to the motherboard. I tried a lot but nothing really worked.

Want to change/upload new firmware
The printer came with a sanguinololu 1.3a board (ATmega 644P) and a firmware was already pre-loaded. I can move all of the axes with Pronterface. Unfortunately, the X and Y axis are moving in the wrong direction. I want to change the firmware to invert the axes and calibrating everthing. I want to start with the newest Marlin firmware.

Uploading problem
During uploading with Arduino I'm getting the following message; avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x20

PC information
I'm using Windows 8,1. The printer is recognized as a USB Serial port with FTDI drivers (version 2.12.0.0).
I can move the axes with Pronterface
In Arduino I selected the USB Serial Port and the Sanguino 644P board. Programmer as Paralell programmer.
Tried Arduino 1.0.1 and 1.0.6
Tried also at a Windows 7 pc but having the same problems and can't even connect in Pronterface, so I will continu with the Windows 8.1 pc.
Re: Can't upload firmware to sanguinololu 1.3a, can control with Pronterface (Windows 8.1)
February 23, 2015 12:21AM
The SL 644p board have a auto reset jumper. Check if you have one of these and its installed. Without that computer cant reset the board and run the boot loader.

Its between the pololu modules and the cpu.

center of this image

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2015 02:01AM by Dust.
Okay thanks!

Question 1: I had a look at the board and there is something over there. But it looks to me like it's only half of the jumper. Is it possible this is only the holder of the jumper and not the jumper itself (see attached picture)? If this is, can I make the jumper by a bended copper wire and just stick it in there?

I also tried just before uploading pressing the reset button at the board that also didn't work.

Question 2: Since i'm able to move the axes with Pronterface, can I assume that the drivers are working correctly for uploading the firmware? Or is this also still a possible problem? Found that windows 7 and 8 gave a lot of problems during uploading firmware..
Attachments:
open | download - Jumper.jpg (220.3 KB)
Ok I think for question 1, the jumper is installed. I think there is nothing like a jumper holder and a jumper it self, so this should be the jumper.

What's next? And can I assume what I asked in question 2?
Re: Can't upload firmware to sanguinololu 1.3a, can control with Pronterface (Windows 8.1)
February 23, 2015 07:44AM
Are there hints there's a bootloader at all? Having a working firmware is no indication of this. Without bootloader see [reprap.org] , works for Sanguinololu the same way.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Good question, I assumed there should be a bootloader because of the firmware..

What hint's can I check?
- The led on the sanguino board lights up constantly when connecting a USB cable.
- (there is a firmware on the board)
- ..?
Ok lets go back to the beginning.

Your first problem is the x and y axis are going in the wrong directions. Usually it's only one axis in the wrong direction. If both are "wrong", are you sure the printer isn't just facing backwards?

As far as uploading new firmware:
That error message is common while trying to upload Marlin. I've only ever had success uploading Sprinter. I haven't had any luck with Marlin but if you do a search for Marlin and Sanguinololu, you may have better luck at finding the answer. If someone is figuring out how to use it, I don't think they are sharing how they finally did it.
True first problem: x and y going wrong directions because going home is not the direction where the endstop is. They said it was tested as going to the right direction so little bit strange. But there are other ways to fix this (changing wires?) But main reason why I want to change firmware is to calibrate by myself (and change directions) and add LCD control (and that's why I choose Marlin firmware).

Never tought Marlin could be the problem, everything for Sanguinolu is inside the firmware, changed motherboard inside firmware to '62' which is Sanguinolu and in Arduino I choose Sanguinolulu ATmega 644P.. I can try Sprinter to exclude some issues..

Could baudrate give uploading problems? Inside firmware:
// This determines the communication speed of the printer
#define BAUDRATE 115200
No. Your computer is already communicating with your board through the Arduino software. The Baudrate in the firmware is for the communication through Pronterface or whatever host software you're using.
I've also tried Sprinter firmware, only changed the motherboard line to '62' for sanguinolu. Same problem: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xcf
According to my logs, my last successful flash was:

USB connected, jumper installed (make sure you are getting power to board ONLY from USB. LED light should be on.)
Arduino 1.0.5-r2
Sprinter firmware
(Make sure the latest Sanguino folder is in Arduino hardware folder)

In TOOLS tab:
Board - Sanguino W/ ATmega 644P
Serial port - check mark next to appropriate.
Programmer - AVRISP mkII

If that doesn't work, you may have a bad ATmega644p chip. Some people have said you can only flash it so many times before it becomes useless. If you can't flash new firmware, it may be time to replace. If you replace, it may be time to upgrade to the ATmega1284p.
ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!

Tried a lot of combinations and every option I found on google.

only this worked for me;

Use arduino 0023 (and not any other version)
Use Sanguino libary 0023r3 (and not 0023r4)
Change bit per sec in device manager to 38400
Change bit rate also at arduino/hardware/sanguino/boards.txt in the line; atmega644.upload.speed=38400 (38400 instead of 57600)

Only this combination worked for me. Trying the same in arduino 1.01 and 1.06 gave error (avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.)

I uploaded sprinter and marlin both, both with succes.

Now calibration and updating with LCD and new hot-end can start!

Thanks for your help guys!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login