Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

About 2/3 through print, repeating the same layer over and over

Posted by djzman 
About 2/3 through print, repeating the same layer over and over
January 19, 2015 08:40PM
Hi all ...

Just got my MakerFarm 10" Prusa i3v up and running and printed a couple of things:
a hollow cube
a knob for the LCD controller
a fan bracket
... all successfully.
I used PLA, slic3r 0.9.9 (on Windows) as recommended by Makerfarm and have been running only out of the SD card. I used the slic3r config files that were recommended for download in the MakerFarm assembly manual. Again, they seemed to work fine for the simple small things.

We decided to try something more substantial, so we attempted, what else, a Budha with a Darth Vador mask. It was meant to be about 10 cm tall.
All was going very well until about the 6 cm mark when it appears to be repeating the same layer over and over, just when it was expected to
be filling in the mask details. (See the attached picture file)

It started it's insane behavior about 4 hours into what looks to be a 6 hour print.

Anyway, I'm not sure where to start to debug ... any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
djzman
Re: About 2/3 through print, repeating the same layer over and over
January 20, 2015 05:47PM
OK, apparently the STL needed to be repaired by a program called netfabb ... mystery solved ... Buddha printed successfully.
January 20, 2015 06:44PM
For the future, I think you could have seen this problem when you use the preview of how it will print when you generate the GCODE, right?

If you open the GCODE in a program like Repetier Host, it will show you exactly how it will be printed, you can do this for future prints, especially if they take a long time, then you can be sure that there are no problems like this anymore smiling smiley

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
January 22, 2015 09:02PM
Ohmarinus,

Completely agree. We've started viewing the gcode before printing.

We're also getting more familiar with the slic3r options and parameters.

Thanks for the advice.
January 23, 2015 04:44AM
Good smiling smiley when you use Repetier Host, it has Slic3r integrated so you cannuse Slic3r through repetier and have the best of both worlds winking smiley

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login