Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis upgrade Results and problems

Z axis upgrade Results and problems
December 16, 2014 09:10PM
So those of you who have seen my last few posts, I recently ordered 8mm trapezoidal leadscrews and anti backlash nuts and installed them onto my prusa i3x by designing new parts. The z axis moves very smooth, but the z axis artifacts are still present, which is what I hoped to completely eliminate. Though, the z axis banding is less worse now, and it is more random that uniform. As you can see on the left, is after the upgrades, and the right is before. A few more things to note about my printer that could possibly influence my prints. My entire frame is a bit shaky during prints, and the whole z frame can slightly moved forward and backward, and shakes during prints. I have printed slowly to ensure that it is not a problem, and yet the banding still occurs. Other than that, I do not know of anything else that could be causing this, especially after nearly 7 months of tinkering.
Attachments:
open | download - 3dprintBanding.jpg (315.7 KB)
Re: Z axis upgrade Results and problems
December 16, 2014 10:44PM
Vibration can do crazy things! Even at slow speeds, you may be rocking the vertical portion of the frame back and forth slightly, which could cause that bulging / banding.

I have threaded rod supports to tie the upper portion of the vertical frame to the board my printer is mounted on. The brackets are just simple ones I printed out. I get no rocking, and the added supports mean I can mount at least 2 rolls up there. If your printer isn't mounted on a board, you could think about printing a bracket that would connect at the lower threaded rod that makes up the y-axis frame. Might be a bit tricky with the build plaform right there, but it would work.

Also maybe try monkeying with the acceleration values in the firmware to reduce jerkiness? Definitely easier is to head to the hardware store to buy some 3" 90° shelving brackets to true up the vertical frame
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login