Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How much microstepping can i have?

Posted by luckcolors 
How much microstepping can i have?
December 14, 2014 04:23PM
Hello.
I'm back again whith a new question for you guys.
So from my last topic: [forums.reprap.org] i decide that the best board i think i could use is the RADDS. (if you know better ones with the same or more abilities than the RADDS please let me know).
My question is how much deep i can go with the microstepping (i readed about 1/128 microstepping) with RADDS board.

Thanks again in advance for your help guys. smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2014 05:16PM by luckcolors.
VDX
Re: How much microstepping can i have?
December 14, 2014 04:27PM
... depends on wished resolution contra speed - I have some boards with 1/256 microstepping, that can be driven with up to 10MHz clock speed ... but as long the controller can't handle this speeds I'll reduce the microstepping to something like 1/32 to 1/64 for movements fast enough for my typical applications ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 14, 2014 05:56PM
It is unlikely that with a $15 Chinese stepper motor, your accuracy will improve beyond 1/8th microstepping. The motors just aren't that accurate in many different ways (mechanically, electrically, magnetically). Higher microstepping, however, may improve the smoothness or reduce the audible noise. Also keep in mind that as you move at higher speeds and accelerations, the accuracy approaches only +/- 1 full-step, no matter what microstepping rate you use.
December 15, 2014 04:24PM
Not only would the motors be prohibitively expensive, the hit on print speed would be significant.

Resolution is good, but you get diminishing returns once you pass a certain point.
December 15, 2014 05:32PM
VDX
... depends on wished resolution contra speed - I have some boards with 1/256 microstepping, that can be driven with up to 10MHz clock speed ... but as long the controller can't handle this speeds I'll reduce the microstepping to something like 1/32 to 1/64 for movements fast enough for my typical applications ...
Ok but can i change the desired microstepping right? EG . If i have an 1/128 driver is it possible to set it to 1/32 microstepping?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2014 05:34PM by luckcolors.
VDX
December 15, 2014 07:27PM
... this is normally done by jumpers or predefining resistors - most modern boards can be set in x2-steps from 1/2 to max. microstepping.

You can even set the microstepping value by microcontroller-pins, so change the resolution per program -- but it's not trivial to maintain the correct position with changing the microstepping while moving the axes ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login