Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Database of the best Slic3r and Cura settings for various printers and materials

Posted by DTaylor 
Database of the best Slic3r and Cura settings for various printers and materials
December 12, 2014 07:55PM
Hola Reprap forum!
We are just about to launch a new feature (in 2-3 days) on the AstroPrint Cloud Slicer in which users can choose to use optimized slic3r or cura settings for their printer. In the long run, we want this to be "manufacturer suggested" slicer settings, however, in the short run, we can take slicer settings from experts in the industry, even if they are not the manufacturer.

What we need is to source optimized .ini files from people that would consider themselves experts with specific printer models. Please see below for exactly what we need.

BTW, this is all free, we are not charging to use Slic3r/Cura! Slic3r and Cura Engine have been untouched (in relation to code), but have been put on a cloud server. We will maintain the most up to date stable version as new versions come out. We're all-good in relation to licensing, I promise!

Here's how it works for the end user:
- "Add a printer" to my account: User selects a manufacturer/printer from a list, or adds a custom configuration.
- If they select a manufacturer/printer from our list: The printer settings, associated materials, and all other settings are imported into their account. Their default slicer will be set to whichever one has been chosen by the manufacturer.
- Whenever they slice, these settings will be used (unless they change them manually of course).
- If the manufacturer changes those settings in the future (to further optimize) they will be updated in real time for each person using that printer. Of course, if the settings have been altered, they are then considered custom and will not be updated.

Here's how it works for manufacturers/admins:
- Add a printer and associated materials to the system. Set which slicer you prefer used for that printer.
- Update printer and material slicer settings. This can be done by uploading .ini files, or by changing settings manually.
- Hit Publish.
- Now anytime someone chooses that printer, they will get your slicer settings by default.
- If you are not the manufacturer, but you are an expert with a specific printer, you can send us the .ini files and we can input the printer in the system. When the manufacturer chooses to "claim" the account, they can, and will take over the settings. This is very similar to how yelp let's you put in information about a business, but then that business can "claim" the account and take it over if they wish.

Here's what we need:
For Marlin firmware based printers, we need:
- an .ini file for: low quality (fast, low infill, etc), medium quality, and high quality. (Slic3r, Cura, or both)
- an .ini file for changes that would occur on top of those settings for each Material for that printer. For example, we need another low, medium, and high quality related .ini file for PLA, and another set for ABS, etc.
- So, to input a printer with PLA and ABS we would need 9 ini files (3 for the printer, 3 for PLA, and 3 for ABS).

Here's how the end logic works when a slice occurs:
- We start with the AstroPrint default slicer settings.
- Any settings in the Printer .ini file (from the manufacturer) override the AstroPrint settings.
- Any settings in the Material .ini file override the Printer settings and AstroPrint settings.
- Any personal customizations to settings, by the end user, override everything.

So, please contact us through our support desk if you are:
- A marlin based 3D printer manufacturer that wishes to be part of this program. (BTW, it's all free.)
- An expert with slicing settings for a specific printer (it still needs to be Marlin based though). (We can only have 1 expert per printer, otherwise it's just too complicated)

Or, please post any and all questions here in this forum.

Thanks,
~Drew
AstroPrint.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2014 11:06PM by DTaylor.
Re: Database of the best Slic3r and Cura settings for various printers and materials
December 13, 2014 05:19PM
I am not sure if this sounds rude, but self-built printers can never run from "manufacturer suggested". It depends on so many factors, if the machine is calibrated well, the hotend type, what kind of extruder you are using.

Am I just being shortsighted here, or am I completely wrong on this one? I just can't imagine any two printers being the same.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Re: Database of the best Slic3r and Cura settings for various printers and materials
December 13, 2014 09:36PM
Hi Ohmarinus,
I agree that the absolute best printer settings will likely need to be set custom on a per printer basis. We feel that a lot of people would like suggested settings as a place to build off of. For example, if your self built printer is similar to an Orion, perhaps you wish to start with SeeMeCNC's stock settings for an Orion, then make some modifications.

Also, under the heading of "manufacturers" I would include common reprap kits that will likely use a common slicing setting base. Perhaps using the term "developer's suggested settings" would be better?

Another thought around this is that printers and kits are being bought by people that are less and less technically inclined now. We are slowly moving to more consumer adoption, which means more users that are not taking the time to learn all the settings in Cura or Slic3r. It seems to be the case that the suggested settings still give them better prints than what they could dial in on their own.

I've been doing searches for .ini files for various printers and it's interesting to note that lots of people seem to be asking for them on various support forums and often say their prints improved when they get an .ini file from someone that knew the printer model well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login