Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which controller should i use?

Posted by luckcolors 
Which controller should i use?
December 01, 2014 01:53PM
Hello guys.
I'm new to the forum and I just started my 3d printer project.
I think i'm going to build an prusa i2.
My question is : can you guys help me decide the best controller to use?

I need an controller capable of driving 7 stepper motors, because i need one more stepper for the third (future) extruder : X | Y | Z1 | Z2 | E0 | E1 | E2
and i didn't find any controller board that's capable of that.

So Thanks in advance if you decide to help me smiling smiley.
Re: Which controller should i use?
December 01, 2014 03:18PM
Radds will do, it fits 6 steppers. You only need 6, Z1 and Z2 go on 1stepper ( parallel or series).
December 01, 2014 03:23PM
Duet with Deux4 expansion board can do up to 8 motors. I don't know of any others that do 7 or more without a custom design.
December 01, 2014 03:36PM
gforce1
Radds will do, it fits 6 steppers. You only need 6, Z1 and Z2 go on 1stepper ( parallel or series).
if i put them in parallel or in series do you think i will overload the driver? also does the program (eg. pronterface) make adjustments if the 2 steppers are on different driver?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2014 03:50PM by luckcolors.
December 01, 2014 04:15PM
luckcolors
gforce1
if i put them in parallel or in series do you think i will overload the driver?
Series increases low speed torque over parallel, but loses torque at high speeds. Parallel has lower torque overall, but can maintain it at higher speeds.

also does the program make adjustments if the 2 steppers are on different driver?
It depends on your firmware capabilities. Marlin for instance allows RAMPS users to use the 2nd extruder driver to drive a 2nd z-axis. I'm not sure specifically for RADDS or Duet how/if that works the same way. Edited to add: Since you mention pronterface, no, pronterface doesn't do that. It happens at a lower level, in the firmware such as Marlin. Your host software would just tell the microcontroller to position your hot end at # position and the microcontroller would handle the details of how to do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2014 04:23PM by cdru.
December 01, 2014 04:38PM
RUMBA can run 6 steppers, three hot ends, a heated bed and two fans. It's also capable of 1/32nd microstepping with DRV8825 drivers. [reprap.org]

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
December 02, 2014 08:55AM
Anyway which board is better betwen : RADDS, RAMPS or RUMBA ?
(i'll plan in the future to add web managment via raspberry pi, also Duet with Deux4 expansion board is an option )
December 02, 2014 09:39AM
luckcolors
Anyway which board is better betwen : RADDS, RAMPS or RUMBA ?
I'd say RADDS > RUMBA > RAMPS if you really need 6+ stepper drivers. RADDS is 32-bit and would be faster and more future-ready. RUMBA is based on RAMPS and runs on the same microcontroller (ATMEGA 2560), is more integrated (single board), has the built in 6th driver, and supports 1/32 microstepping.

I can't comment though if there is any limitations on what the RADDS supports in firmware developmentwise as compared to RUMBA/RAMPS. If there are any limitations, that might adjust my answer.
December 03, 2014 08:45AM
RUMBA can do anything the RAMPS can and more, so between the two i would always get the RUMBA. I have to RUMBA boards running in my machines, before that i had RAMPS.
RADDS is a different animal due to it's 32 bit processor. It is similar in general capabilities to the RUMBA, but not as flexible regarding firmware.
If you have no specific reaso to use a 32 bit controller i would go with the RUMBA.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
February 14, 2016 07:39AM
I am probably a bit late but for anyone still reading this topic you could also use the ramps with a stepper expander x1 or 2 or 3 to get your required amount of stepper drivers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login