Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Design Z Axis End Stops Best Practices

Posted by Nike 
Design Z Axis End Stops Best Practices
November 19, 2014 03:13AM
Hi all !! smiling smiley

What is the most preferred End Stop for Z axis ? ( taking under consideration accuracy,better bed levelling, less maintenance and cost )

Should Z Axis End Stop be fixed or should be adjustable what are the pros and cons for both the systems ?
Re: Design Z Axis End Stops Best Practices
November 19, 2014 06:02AM
Hey,

On my 3D Printers I use simple push buttons and lever switches.

I know you can use optical and even Hall Effect switches for homing.

You can get 3 push switches for a few Dollars/Pounds and I don't see the benefit of buying an optical switch for 5-10x the cost!

I have no experience of using these alternatives on 3D printers, but I am yet to tell myself, "Dam, I wish I had better switches!"

In regards to the Adjustable Z height, it is easier if you do but it is not essential.

What you can do is put a rough estimate into your config.h and alter it from there.

Any fine tuning (0.1mm) etc can be done in Repetier Host and Slic3r if you use those programs.

Hope this helps!

Alex

NFireLabs - The World First Modular 3D Printer - At An Affordable Price!
November 19, 2014 08:52AM
Nike
What is the most preferred End Stop for Z axis ? ( taking under consideration accuracy,better bed levelling, less maintenance and cost )
There isn't a preferred. Mechanical is the most popular. They are generally accurate, should last as long as your printer, and really don't have any maintenance. And their operation is pretty simple. But they aren't an "elegent" solid state solution like a optical or hall effect sensor. It's also possible that they may need recalibrated every now and then if a spring weakens or the lever bends slightly.

Should Z Axis End Stop be fixed or should be adjustable what are the pros and cons for both the systems ?
Fixed. Do any adjustments in the firmware. Just my .02
November 19, 2014 09:36AM
Hall effect sensors that run on 5v cost somewhere in the 20c region in small quantities. I am contemplating switching from mechanical to hall. I bought a set and will be testing them out.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login