Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Expected sales price of a delta

Posted by jaguarking11 
Expected sales price of a delta
November 18, 2014 02:52PM
I am very curious.

I see delta kits from chinese manufacturers sell for around 540bux. Some in the 700-800 dollar range. While these are fairly large printers they seem of questionable quality.

If there was a delta printer with a 200mm X 200mm X 200mm build volume fully built, with firmware loaded and calibrated. What would it retail for? I have seen similar kits for about 300-350usd for a 3d printer kit, but not delta.

Any input on what would the theoretical price be?

Remember this would have the following requirements.

1 - reprap based.
2 - modular and modable
3 - out the box it should be able to print, the firmware would be already loaded.
4 - Already assembled and tested, with sample 20mmx20mmx20mm cube in the package, media containing documentation on the printer as well as detailed instructions.

Are we looking at a 400-500 dollar printer here? Any ideas?

This is a hypothetical question as I do not intend on building anything like this, at least not in the near future.

-Bruno.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
Re: Expected sales price of a delta
November 18, 2014 04:35PM
So if the dubious quality Chinese version is $540, why do you think that a better quality printer that's already assembled and calibrated is available for $140 cheaper elsewhere? You can find kits that have the pieces for the price range you indicate, or you can assembly your own parts and just outsource the printed (or moulded) parts for that. But I think it's unrealistic to get a solid assembled and calibrated printer for what the individual pieces are going to add up to...unless you buy junk.

Besides, building it is all the fun.
November 18, 2014 04:50PM
I would charge €500 + parts for building a printer. Assembly in the US or EU is going to cost as much as the parts.
Prices will drop rapidly in the next few years. The Chinese will start mass producing them once the demand goes up a little.
I would expect cartesian printers in a box to be first as they are more stable. Deltas could follow later.
A fully build 3D printer in your local Chinese retail store for under €400 within a few years seems realistic.
Deltas are a bit of an undetermined factor. It depends on the caprice of the masses.
November 18, 2014 05:14PM
Honestly I see delta style printers less fiddly than their cartesian(SP?) counterparts if designed correctly.

To me this is more like a bit of market reaserch. I have nothing to gain at present. However it is my belief that you can with the proper design and implementation build these things and turn a profit for 500 dollars.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
November 18, 2014 06:47PM
In bulk, yes. But that is a few years away.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login