Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What to build first? Prusa Reprap i3

Posted by Gannicus 
What to build first? Prusa Reprap i3
October 26, 2014 02:18PM
Prices have finally become reasonable on 3D printing, and I just learned about the Reprap a couple days ago. So excited.

Ordered the Prusa Reprap i3 by Folgertech, and couldn't be more excited.

My question is, what are the best, and most important upgrades to be looking to print once I get this dialed in?

Thanks!
Re: What to build first? Prusa Reprap i3
October 27, 2014 09:33AM
Really? Anyone?
October 27, 2014 11:02AM
Don't expect to many answers on a Sunday ; )
Depending on what you get. Usually you will need to improve the Z axis to prevent wobbling, better secured linear bearings (zip ties are not the best option). Your extruder if printed with PLA, insulate the bottom of the heated bed, install a fan for PLA printing if not already part of the kit. lcd display if not part of the kit, wire management.
In reality the list could go on and on, and it will solely depends on you and your needs.
I have currently 3 printers, one CTC clone and 2 self designed printers, I purchased the CTC because it was cheap, stable and proven platform and the readiness of improved printable parts (although I mostly designed all the parts) once I fully learned how to operate it and get the best results out of it (about 5 months of sleepless nights) I went on to design and built my own printers based on my needs and the needs of my customers.
To finalize, sure is good to get some insight from other people in regards to options and improvements, but at the end it will serve you more if you come up to your own conclusions through experimentation and learning process.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 11:08AM by ggherbaz.
October 27, 2014 11:42AM
What he said. I built my i3 about three months ago or so. I've changed most the above and various other bits.

One of the biggest things is figure out the software side of things, both the software that creates models and the software that slices models into something that can print.

I did start writing a reply yesterday, but it got a bit long and I lost interest smiling smiley The best thing is to build it, and then come back to ask questions once you get hot plastic coming out the nozzle (or before if you get stuck).
October 28, 2014 07:09AM
Ok, thanks guys!

Can you recommend any other resources to read up on?
October 28, 2014 08:22AM
Have you seen the thread on this kit in the reprappers forum? Looks like it's got a few upgrades for you to print.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 08:22AM by Andrew Smith.
October 28, 2014 04:54PM
I haven't but I assume any part for the Reprap i3 would work as it's all the same right?
October 28, 2014 07:07PM
Andrew Smith
Have you seen the thread on this kit in the reprappers forum? Looks like it's got a few upgrades for you to print.

Have you a link?
October 28, 2014 07:14PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login