Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Model repositories

Posted by gordonendersby 
Model repositories
October 17, 2014 11:33AM
I realise i could put this in the object repositories section but i wanted to ask a wider audience than just those pushing there own repositories.
I wanted the views of the users.

Ive only recently started 3d printing and already im finding things to design and make rather than download and print.
Thingiverse is a fantastic 3d repository, the interface is great. But the more i hear the more uncomfortable i am with using it.

Whats a good alternative with a decent interface i can use to upload my work to?
Im looking for something with the ability to show an image of the final product.
Open source and hopefully will stay open source as well.
Decent search facility.

Thanks

Gordon
Re: Model repositories
October 18, 2014 02:45PM
I have found that looking for 'physibles' was the key for me. I could find way more repositories that way.

The ones I use are still Thingiverse (for it's quantity) and Youmagine.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
October 19, 2014 12:22AM
The RepRap wiki has a page listing more than fifty different 3D repositories: Printable Part Sources
October 19, 2014 05:33AM
Yes i know.
But no reviews or recomendations by users.

Theres also a section in this very forum to advertise repositories.

Thingiverse is listed but how would i know from that listing about the history and contreversy surrounding the development of that business?
I found out about this after using the site. Not knowing about the switch from opensource to closed source and the alienation of a large community
of contributers for the sake of one of the founders who wanted the company to be the next apple.

Thats why im asking here.
I could use google and find lists of sites but i cant easily find out that sort of information on each and every one.

Gordon
October 19, 2014 01:20PM
YouMagine seems to be the next biggest repository after Thingiverse, even if it's dwarfed by it. YouMagine is not open source, but it's supported by a company (Ultimaker) which is much friendlier to the open source community.

AFAIK the only fully open source site is Bld3r, but it's more of an aggregator than a repository - in any case most of its stuff is from other sites like TV.

CubeHero is interesting because it supports revision control through GitHub. Will (the author) seems to be a nice guy and has never made any move toward monetizing his site.

Repables is backed by a non-profit LLC. There's an old article about them on Hackaday. [hackaday.com]
October 19, 2014 02:41PM
I added a "Reviews & Discussion" column to the list on Printable Part Sources, and populated it with a few links. Feel free to add all the reviews you can find! smiling smiley
October 19, 2014 03:38PM
Thanks.
Ill check those out.
Cubehero sounds interesting with github.
Im using cura from Ultimaker, ill give youmagine some more attention.

Ive found yeggi.com, another aggregator or search model search.
Its fun to click on the random link and look at all the models.

Gordon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login