Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dual Extruder

Posted by wiesecod000 
Dual Extruder
October 16, 2014 09:10PM
I am currently working on a research project with dual extruders. Our group would like to print with two extruders at the same time.Has anyone tried this? This would only work for large prints because of the distance between the nozzles. Currently when you print with two extruders, they print one at a time to get different colors. Thought process is the for large prints, having two extruders running at the same time would cut the printing time in half. Any thoughts on this idea?
Re: Dual Extruder
October 16, 2014 09:49PM
Defiantly not new.
Google it.
October 16, 2014 11:16PM
I have looked a lot on google, but have only found where the two extruders where printing two parts at the same time. We are looking for the both of the extruders to be printing one part at the same exact time.
October 17, 2014 02:36AM
Your not guy on indiegogo are you?
Claiming you can do something with dual extruders, but it was 'secret' and you needed money to produce it?

If not.
I'm sure everyone here would love to see what has your group come up with so far?
What some previous completed projects from your team?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2014 12:32PM by pushthatbolder.
October 17, 2014 10:44AM
I currently just started doing research at my University, so our group has not completed any projects yet. I am a freshman in engineering and have a built two Prusa I2. This project will not be marketed and will be open source. The University has funds set aside to improve 3d printing and that is what my group is doing. Since it is a University project, we are not looking for profits. We just want to improve 3d printing. This is the project my professor wanted me to work on. He wants to know if it is possible, or if we should research another idea. Everything will be open source and we have all the funds to do the project so will not being doing in campaigns. Once the project is completed, we will publish our result, so other people can implement our ideas. No, were are not on Indego and do not plan to be.
October 17, 2014 11:50AM
So if i get this right, you want to have two independent nozzles building on different spots of the same part simultaneously? Sounds like a real challenge...

It probably rules out some printer topologies completely due to the requirement of dual independent heads. Traditional deltas and mendel style printers are probably right out. Maybe a dual 6-axis setup partnered with some hefty slicing/control software could do the trick. I wouldn't want to code it though, sounds very though smiling smiley
October 17, 2014 12:31PM
ok, you guys seem cool.
have you looked at rotated nozzle?
i have an idea for nozzles where you want print like what your saying...
2 nozzles and 1 print
October 17, 2014 12:36PM
if you are interested i could share some info.
its late here now, and don't have the time.
but shoot me a pm,

I could give you some ideas,
Concepts and such.

Sounds like a fun project smiling smiley
October 17, 2014 12:46PM
anwe79, yup that's what we are after. I'm guessing we would need a new slicing program, which would take a lot of work. I have not looked into a rotated nozzle that much. I have though about the concept of one nozzle lifting up while the other one is printing so the unused nozzle does not ooze plastic onto the part. I'll shoot you a PM.
October 20, 2014 02:48PM
Ok, on second thought a dual six axis setup is probably way overkill.
This seems to be along the lines of what you may be looking for:
[www.youtube.com]

There's probably room for improvement, say with a bowden feed to make the heads slimmer,
and some type of wiper/stopper to battle stringing (which looks like one major obstacle to get good print quality).

Personally I don't have any experience with that type of setup (although I've contemplated upgrading my mendelmax to a dual carriage like this: [www.youtube.com]).
Best of luck, it sounds like an interesting field to research.

/Andreas
October 21, 2014 01:15AM
I cam across that rotating printer. Although it has the principles we are lolling for, I don't think it will work that great. I have never seen the second video. That is really neat and an interesting concept. Thanks, Cody
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login