Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Differences between hotends?

Posted by caleb12134 
Differences between hotends?
October 14, 2014 12:05PM
Hi all, I was wondering what the differences between J-heads, hexagon, and magma extruders? I am buying a prusa kit and need to choose one, I have experience with my printrbot simple metal so I am "experienced" somewhat... I also was wondering if wood is ok, I would guess that wood warps and bends? Why not use metal or acrylic? thank you!
Re: Differences between hotends?
October 14, 2014 12:54PM
I would recommend the E3Dv6, I've heard great things and it has been a champ for me personally. It can handle higher temperatures as opposed to the PEEK-based solutions.

Wood is ok, metal/acrylic are better but more expensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2014 12:55PM by greenman100.
October 14, 2014 06:19PM
I would say either the E3D v6, original J-Head, or the Ubis (printrbot hotend). I've been using my Ubis for close to a year and not had any major problems.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
October 14, 2014 07:40PM
Does anyone have any factual information not based on opinion? Is one more prone to jamming, does one print more materials? Does one give better quality? Thanks! smiling smiley
October 14, 2014 09:22PM
Anything all metal should be able to handle pretty much any material.

Apart from that, it seems everything in anecdotal. The original J-head it typically suggested for it proven track record in reliability and consistency. If you do go with a j-head, make sure it is an original from hotends.com. A lot of the clones are crappy and jam frequently.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login