Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lean/Six Sigma Approach to 3D printing (guide under construction)

Posted by Stef Stuntpiloot 
Lean/Six Sigma Approach to 3D printing (guide under construction)
September 19, 2014 05:09AM
Hello all, I started this topic to get some information that is not readily available. I need this information to perform a research to improve the reliabiliy of the printers.

3D printing is a rapidly in popularity growing method to produce small/medium objects. In this fast market there is a lot of research targeted at printing speed,
accuracy and price. In my opinion there is a side of 3D printing that gets less attention than it deserves, the reliability of the printing process.

When looking around on forums it is obious that a lot of people experience problems with prints that have defects such as:
- premature release from the buildplate
- Warping
- Inaccurate dimensions

For this research I need your experiences. If you would be so kind to answer the following questions, that would help me a lot!

1 - What percentage of prints fails? (one in for example) (A fail means a print that cannot be used or have to be stopped before the print finishes)
2 - Can you give a top 3 causes for these fails?
3 - What materials do you use to print?
4 - What material gives most troubles?
5 - Do you use a heated bed?
6 - Do you have an encosure around the printer?

When I finish my research I will share my results here. I plan to add a guide about the Lean/Six Sigma approach for all 3D printer users to optimise the fabrication process.

What is Lean manufacturing?

Lean manufacturing, Lean Enterprise, or lean production, often simply, "lean", is a production philosophy that considers the expenditure of resources in any aspect other than the direct creation of value for the end customer to be wasteful, and thus a target for elimination. Working from the perspective of the client who consumes a product or service, "value" is any action or process that a customer would be willing to pay for.
Link to Wikipedia

What is Six Sigma?

Six Sigma seeks to improve the quality of process outputs by identifying and removing the causes of defects (errors) and minimizing variability in manufacturing and business processes. It uses a set of quality management methods, including statistical methods, and creates a special infrastructure of people within the organization ("Champions", "Black Belts", "Green Belts", "Yellow Belts", etc.) who are experts in these methods. Each Six Sigma project carried out within an organization follows a defined sequence of steps and has quantified value targets, for example: reduce process cycle time, reduce pollution, reduce costs, increase customer satisfaction, and increase profits. These are also core to principles of Total Quality Management (TQM) as described by Peter Drucker and Tom Peters (particularly in his book "In Search of Excellence" in which he refers to the Motorola six sigma principles).
Link to Wikipedia

Thanks in advance!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2014 06:09PM by Stef Stuntpiloot.
Re: Information request, Experiences and Data about FFF/FMD printers
September 19, 2014 03:34PM
How many fail? That's hard to quantify, because I often start a print and then stop it ten seconds later. Quite a few, though, I'd say about half.

Why? They come unstuck or warp (bad calibration or not enough hairspray), end up with blobs (wrong speed, temperature, or just Bowden tube issues), or simply aren't precise enough (mainly Bowden tube issues).

I use PLA. I've used it from Push Plastic, SainSmart, and Zen Toolworks.

They're all about the same, excpet for one spool I got from Push Plastic which was unusable (I still have it and am trying to return it.)

I do not have a heated bed. I use a piece of basalt with hairspray.

I also do not have an enclosure. My printer's frame is made of a lot of thin bars, which creates a sort of cage, but air and such can still get through.
September 19, 2014 04:15PM
Stef,
Could I suggest that a good look through the many, many posts in this forum will provide you a wealth of research material. You are asking a very small set of questions about a technology that has so many variables. You haven't asked about printer type, filament type and thickness...or supplier, temps used for extrusion and/or build platform, calibration techniques, electronics and software/firmware...and the list goes on. Example is here in New Zealand, I get my pla from a supplier who uses sugar based pla, in other countries there is cornstarch based pla, and in others it is tapioca based (wow...who knew a dessert could be a plastic! LOL)

I have gleaned so much info from simply reading almost every post and reply, and it becomes quite apparent there are some common themes. The number of posts for example about first layer adhesion problems. Most are a result of wrong temps, speed or not properly calibrated, but then these issues are a symptom of another issue such as unclear calibration info, faulty or incorrect thermister type, slicing settings...again, the list goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud your effort, and was thinking that a problem flowchart would be ideal. Then I started thinking about the variables. It could be doable if the chart was specific to a printer design, but gets confusing if you try to cover all in one.

Kudos for giving the research a crack, and look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2014 04:16PM by ShaneH.
September 19, 2014 04:27PM
Hello Shane,

Thank you for your reply. I do realise that there are loads of info available on this and many other forums, as well as I understand that these are just a few questions. My goal is to offer somewhat of a "standard" package that is a guide to use the Lean/Six Sigma approach to 3D printing. I want to collect this information to be able to give a general direction in wich to look for possible causes and improvements. The information shared here will, for example, be used to create an ikishawa diagram.

(ikishawa diagram.)

One of the reasons I did not want to ask for more is because it reduces the amount of replies I get (if someone sees 5 questions he/she will be more likely to answer than if I ask 20)

In this guide I will add a lot of info aiding in using correct methods for your own tests on your own printer. I will also give a detailed but easy to understand explanation of what (Lean)Six Sigma entails.
September 19, 2014 04:29PM
As an addition to my previous post, of you do not mind to give a bit more information than just the info I asked for in the opening post, please look at the diagram above and try to think of possible causes in these 6 categories.

It will be much appreciated!
September 19, 2014 05:32PM
I will start the list myself, if you have suggestions please add:

Material
- Material type
- Diameter (deviation)
- humidity (amount of vapor absorbed by material)
- Age (older filament can be brittle or have high humidity)
- Color (different colors need different temperatures)
-

Enviroment
- Temperature (enviroment/nozzle/bed)
- Enviromental temperature deviation (big difference with buildplate/extruder temperature
can give problems, as well as changing temperature during printing. This can be caused for
example by walking past the printer, open windows, airco etc)
- Moving the printer ( for example by bumping onto it)
- Surge (sudden increase/decrease power supply voltage)
-

Equipment
- loose screws
- Loose belts
- Play/flexibility in mechanical printer parts
- inaccurate buildplate setup (paralellism to XY plane)
- Wrong step/distance setup (1mm ≠ 1mm)
- Wrong sepper driver setup
- Squareness of printer
- Tangled filament roll
- Extruder shape/materials
- Nozzle shape/defects
- feed system (direct drive vs bowden)
- Extruder temperature deviation (how accurately can it hold its temperature)
- Buildplate temperature deviation
- Coldend condition (play/flexibility)
- Used heater cardridges
- Placement and type of thermistors
- PC settings ( such as auto-standby)
-

Process
- Slicing settings (temperature, cooling, type of infill/perimeters, overhang settings, ooze etc)
- Slicing quality (of actual Gcode produced by slicing software)
- Creparation of build platform
- Cleaning of printer parts
-

People
- Not applicable at this moment (some of the possible causes above can also be placed here)

Management
- Not applicable at this moment

Edit: Changed the topic title to clearify my intentions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2014 06:01PM by Stef Stuntpiloot.
Re: Lean/Six Sigma Approach to 3D printing (guide under construction)
September 21, 2014 10:24AM
As a fellow Continuous Improvement constituent, I will add to your list some experience in my own adventures and what I have seen in forums helping others:

Material:
Quality. This is by far the Pareto winner. Subclasses of this are:
Impure material (recycled junk)
Variable diameter
Bends and kinks
lint/dirt on the outside that does not get cleaned off before it is spooled.

Environment:
Insulation: Enclosures for main frame, insulation for hotend, insulation for heatbed.

Management:
Piss poor design (opensource or pre-assembled)
This includes the use of sub-standard components in order to save money (plastic sleeves vs linear bearings, etc)

Equipment
Basic design structure (Moving table, moving carriage, HBOT CoreXY, Delta, Polar)
Drive design (belts, fishing line, screws, rollers)

Process:
You need to break out Slicer setting alot.
Slicer used
Temperature settings (you mentioned it, but it is a process specific setting, not a generalized component)
I do not know how to classify the last without repeating all of it. It also has to do with People:Experience. Depending on the shape you intend to print, the settings need to be changed quite often. There are adjustments for infill, skirts, temperature, speed, support material, shells, infill, etc to combat curling, overhangs, bridging, etc that will change from object to object. You couple this with determining what adjustments need to be made by changing the material (or even just the color) of the filament, and it becomes a recipe-from-hell.

People: (yeah, I would have moved some down here, the user is culprit more often than the process)
Calibration
Setup
Maintenance
Experience (this is the big one)

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
September 21, 2014 12:05PM
Hello Hazer,

Thanks a lot for your list! It will help a lot

I added temperature also to enviroment because a lot of the machines are open so a draft in the room can
affect the endresult. It also needs to be in equipment/calibration because bad PID settings can seriously affect
the stability of, for example, the extruder temperature.

Updated list:

Material
- Material type
- Diameter (deviation)
- humidity (amount of vapor absorbed by material)
- Age (older filament can be brittle or have high humidity)
- Color (different colors need different temperatures)
- Impure material (recycled junk)
- Bends and kinks
- lint/dirt on the outside that does not get cleaned off before it is spooled.

Enviroment
- Temperature (enviroment/nozzle/bed)
- Enviromental temperature deviation (big difference with buildplate/extruder temperature
can give problems, as well as changing temperature during printing. This can be caused for
example by walking past the printer, open windows, airco etc)
- Moving the printer ( for example by bumping onto it)
- Surge (sudden increase/decrease power supply voltage)
- Insulation: Enclosures for main frame, insulation for hotend, insulation for heatbed.

Equipment
- loose screws
- Loose belts
- Play/flexibility in mechanical printer parts
- inaccurate buildplate setup (paralellism to XY plane)
- Wrong step/distance setup (1mm ≠ 1mm)
- Wrong sepper driver setup
- Squareness of printer
- Tangled filament roll
- Extruder shape/materials
- Nozzle shape/defects
- feed system (direct drive vs bowden)
- Extruder temperature deviation (how accurately can it hold its temperature)
- Buildplate temperature deviation
- Coldend condition (play/flexibility)
- Used heater cardridges
- Placement and type of thermistors
- PC settings ( such as auto-standby)
- Basic design structure (Moving table, moving carriage, HBOT CoreXY, Delta, Polar)
- Drive design (belts, fishing line, screws, rollers)

Process
- Type of slicer used
- Slicing settings (temperature, cooling, type of infill/perimeters, overhang settings, ooze etc)
- Slicing quality (of actual Gcode produced by slicing software)
- Creparation of build platform
- Cleaning of printer parts
-

People
- Calibration
- Setup
- Maintenance
- Experience (this is the big one)
- Flexibility to adjusting settings according to needs

Management
- Piss poor design (opensource or pre-assembled)
- This includes the use of sub-standard components in order to save money (plastic sleeves vs linear bearings, etc)

September 21, 2014 01:22PM
I've thought about something similar, the largest problem you have with crowdsourcing this sort of intelligence is disseminating a common reference point upon which you can iteratively improve.

The second (or technically first) goal should be to choose a scenario or range of scenarios to enact. Think of them as your product in a lean manufacturing sense, or your application if we're talking software continuous delivery/improvement. As an example, there's a pictoral guide on here or the wiki which shows some examples of defects. It's not perfect though. Most cases don't include a like for like image of what it should look like, and each example uses a different object, lit differently, printed in a different material and so on.

I'd pick a small "product" range of three of four items and define then concisely. One may be my favourite 20mm calibration cube printed in (red) PLA in 10 minutes or less with an accuracy of 0.01mm deviation at any point, AND having some other measurable characteristics (Honestly, besides weight and cost, I can't think of many easily measurable ones (in a crowdsource rather than lab environment)).

Additionally have something larger, something delicate, something with overhangs, something that's very very thin, you get the idea.

In tl;dr, don't forget that lean is supposed to be about delivering "something"
September 25, 2014 11:14AM
Hey Stef,

I did a black belt back in the day and this is going to be more complicated than you can imagine. You really need to break it up. First, 3D printing covers a large range of technologies. What might cause a part failure for FFF printing might not for SLS printing. I would break out each type. RepRaps are generally FFF. There are cheap SLA printers coming onto the market so I wouldn't blow those off. Then you need to break down the different types of FFF printers, for example, Bowden extruder vs standard. I remember seeing a flowchart somewhere on the wiki that broke it up nicely. Then you should break out each type of material. For example, I will get part failures if I use PLA and not cool it properly while extruding. I don't need to do that for ABS. My ABS however will warp if I don't watch out for drafts. That doesn't happen with PLA.
You also probably need to somehow break off part geometry as its own component. Thin walls, large overhangs, contact with the build plate, aspect ratio, etc are factors. There are challenge parts out there (like on the Thingiverse) that will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. The slicing software parameters are also a hugh factor. There isn't a rule of thumb though for what numbers you should plug into the slicing software since it will depend on your part geometry. There's a part troubleshooting guide somewhere on the wiki that will give you an idea of what that is about.

Good luck

Stef Stuntpiloot
Hello all, I started this topic to get some information that is not readily available. I need this information to perform a research to improve the reliabiliy of the printers.

3D printing is a rapidly in popularity growing method to produce small/medium objects. In this fast market there is a lot of research targeted at printing speed,
accuracy and price. In my opinion there is a side of 3D printing that gets less attention than it deserves, the reliability of the printing process.

When looking around on forums it is obious that a lot of people experience problems with prints that have defects such as:
- premature release from the buildplate
- Warping
- Inaccurate dimensions

For this research I need your experiences. If you would be so kind to answer the following questions, that would help me a lot!

1 - What percentage of prints fails? (one in for example) (A fail means a print that cannot be used or have to be stopped before the print finishes)
2 - Can you give a top 3 causes for these fails?
3 - What materials do you use to print?
4 - What material gives most troubles?
5 - Do you use a heated bed?
6 - Do you have an encosure around the printer?

When I finish my research I will share my results here. I plan to add a guide about the Lean/Six Sigma approach for all 3D printer users to optimise the fabrication process.

What is Lean manufacturing?

Lean manufacturing, Lean Enterprise, or lean production, often simply, "lean", is a production philosophy that considers the expenditure of resources in any aspect other than the direct creation of value for the end customer to be wasteful, and thus a target for elimination. Working from the perspective of the client who consumes a product or service, "value" is any action or process that a customer would be willing to pay for.
Link to Wikipedia

What is Six Sigma?

Six Sigma seeks to improve the quality of process outputs by identifying and removing the causes of defects (errors) and minimizing variability in manufacturing and business processes. It uses a set of quality management methods, including statistical methods, and creates a special infrastructure of people within the organization ("Champions", "Black Belts", "Green Belts", "Yellow Belts", etc.) who are experts in these methods. Each Six Sigma project carried out within an organization follows a defined sequence of steps and has quantified value targets, for example: reduce process cycle time, reduce pollution, reduce costs, increase customer satisfaction, and increase profits. These are also core to principles of Total Quality Management (TQM) as described by Peter Drucker and Tom Peters (particularly in his book "In Search of Excellence" in which he refers to the Motorola six sigma principles).
Link to Wikipedia

Thanks in advance!
October 12, 2014 04:27AM
Hello JerseyGirl

Thank you for your reply. I agree that there are a lot of variables and types of systems and that you cannot perform one
research to cover them all. Initially my idea was to use the lean/sixsigma approach as a guide to offer people a systematic
approach to improve their printers (and their own) performance. This should give better quality prints and less waste.

It might be that I bit off more than I can chew, but I will look in to it in the next few weeks. At this moment it is pretty busy
at work and at home I'm really busy designing/building/finetuning my own large 3d printer.

So it is also possible that I make a guide that is Inspired by but not A Lean SixSigma Approach.
October 12, 2014 08:55AM
It would be better to say this is a Continuous Improvement project rather than a SixSigma. I doubt even most >$5000 machines are ready for SixSigma.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
October 15, 2014 05:57PM
I agree, Six sigma would be an unreachable goal in this occasion. 3 sigma would be pushing it for most machines and operators (6.6 defects per 100) Besides that it would only be theoretical because most users would not even reach 500 prints, making a Six Sigma optimalisation not necessary.

As stated before, I started this topic with the goal to minimize waste and optimize my print quality. And also to make somewhat of an easy to understand guide to help others to achieve the same. I will have to look again if this approach fits these goals.

Thanks for helping and sharing your thoughts on the subject.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login