Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS juice spray bottle

Posted by sodonnell 
ABS juice spray bottle
September 17, 2014 09:25PM
Hey guys,

I was curious if anyone has ever used a spray bottle to apply ABS juice to a glass bed? Paper towels work fine but I feel bad blowing through a whole roll of paper towels in a week.sad smiley

I am also open to discuss any other methods of application....WE HAVE TO SAVE THE TREES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!grinning smiley

Thanks
Re: ABS juice spray bottle
September 17, 2014 11:46PM
When I used ABS juice. I used one of the half sheet paper towels, folded it in half twice and I would use that for 2 weeks. I just left it sitting next to the printer.

I think ABS juice would clog up a spray nozzle once it sits. That is if you could find a spray bottle that it would not melt.
September 17, 2014 11:54PM
Good point about the paper towels, I keep throwing them away. That might be true about the clogging of the bottle but have you seen the hand pump aerosal bottles? That seems like a way to move the liquid quick enough so it does not get stuck. If I find any bottles that won't melt I'll be sure to post my findings.
September 18, 2014 12:02AM
I think these are expensive but there are these all metal (commercial) versions [www.pirate4x4.com]
September 18, 2014 05:46AM
I use a small (1/4") paintbrush. No waste.

An initial coating all over applied when the bed is 100 deg C +, then just a touch up on the areas I have already printed on.

I also find that more diluted ABS juice works better. Make up juice so the ABS is saturated in Acetone, pour it off and add same volume again of Acetone i.e. so it ends up 50% of saturation concentration. Seems to stick better.

Also paper towels (and newsprint for that matter) is made from softwood that takes 25 years to grow. It is sustainable. We need to save hardwood trees that take maybe 200 years to grow. Nobody makes paper out of hardwood. It is used for furniture.
September 18, 2014 06:29AM
I use lint free wipes which are some sort of cloth. They don't degrade much so I use the same one for months. They are also too big, so I only use a quarter at a time folded twice. They came in a big box so I think that will last me for life.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 18, 2014 06:37AM
Dropper bottle and kitchen towel.
Drop some on the bed then dab with the towel.
The paper towel lasts quite a while.

I should imagine a spray bottle would gum up quite quickly.

Gordon
September 23, 2014 11:32PM
Dave3d,
Do you see any inperfections with a paint brush?

Also I was thinking about something like a chemical sprayer for plants.
September 25, 2014 12:46AM
I know this is sorta off topic but has anyone used elmer's glue stick as an adhesive? I have heard good things and was wondering if anyone had hands on experience with it.
September 25, 2014 01:02AM
I switched to it exclusively and also posted it's easier to apply if you dissolve it in water first then use a brush to apply it see here: [forums.reprap.org]
September 27, 2014 01:06AM
Awesome, does this make it easier to remove parts? Because the big issue I am having now with the glue stick is it sticks too well. I've heard people say it pops off as you get to room temp. but for me this is not the case. I love the easiness to apply, I love the adhesion but it is hard to pull off the print bed. I'm considering buying a bunch of glass plates, about $2 for double thick glass here in rockford IL and just put it in the freezer while I print another. And to tie in the basic topic of this thread, do you think it could work in a spray bottle?
September 27, 2014 01:24AM
It does make it easier because you can apply a very thin almost invisible layer. Sometimes I wonder if I put enough but if you touch it you can feel it's there. This also allows me to print with less squishing on the first layer (higher nozzle height) and this makes for less cleanup on the part and pops off easier when done. When parts are really stuck I use a artists palette knife an place it at the base and give it a good tap, if I can get it under even a little then I can just wiggles it around the edge and pop off the print.
September 27, 2014 11:53AM
Well while just doing some basic clean up, spraying a water based cleaner really helps to loosen in up so I am going to try spraying the bottom edges of a completed part and see if that makes it easier to remove.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login