Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Geared head stepper setup

Posted by wjrudo 
Geared head stepper setup
September 12, 2014 01:06PM
I'm curious as to where I would find and what I would change in order to run a geared stepper motor on my Rostock Max extruder. This is for a future, larger project, so please don't tell me it's too heavy for my printer. I know this already.
Re: Geared head stepper setup
September 13, 2014 04:55PM
do you you want a wades style geared extruder or a mounted gear box?

are you just looking for how to mount it.

wades geared [www.thingiverse.com]

also you would need to change the steps per mm in firmware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2014 10:43PM by jamesdanielv.
September 15, 2014 05:04PM
I'm assuming you want to marry a direct drive geared stepper extruder with the Rostock Max hot end. You'd need to marry up something like this (thingiverse.com) with the Rostock's hot end platform.

Can't find anything that's plug and play, but if your design skills are up to it you can always design and print an adapter.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
September 16, 2014 05:28AM
The bolt pattern is different, hence the need to change the mount or extruder. You also do not want gears on the extruder if you have them in the stepper motor, hence a whole new extruder.

If you want to use it with a bowden, no problem. If you want it directly on the delta effector, bad idea. It's bad enough using a small PG35L on it, and that weighs 1/3rd or less of a geared stepper motor. They are surprisingly quite heavy and your steppers may lack the torque to move the head.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login