Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NEED HELP TROUBLESHOOTING !!!

Posted by khannon3 
NEED HELP TROUBLESHOOTING !!!
September 11, 2014 01:34PM
Hi Guys,

My name is Kevin. I am a Product Design student with a passion for 3D modeling/ 3D printing and this is my first post on this forum.

A few months ago I bought a Prusa i3 from 3Dprintczar.com. Assembly went fine and I eventually reached the stage of trying to connect to the printer with Pronterface. When I connected via USB, chose a COM port and connected to the board, I got a Error: MAX TEMP REACHED!!. I have tried checking every connection numerous times, I've replaced the RAMPS, stepper controllers, Arduino and the two thermistors. Unfortunately to no avail. I have become so frustrated and I would really appreciate any help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Kev
Re: NEED HELP TROUBLESHOOTING !!!
September 11, 2014 02:50PM
Maxtemp can be triggered by a thermistor shorting out. This can happen on either the heater block or if the leads touch. Make sure that you are using PTFE tubing or heat shirk on the leads of the thermistor. Insure that at the head of the thermistor the leads aren't touching. As an aid to troubleshooting remove the thermistor from the heater block. Leave it attached to the RAMPS and make sure there are no shorts. If you remove it from the heater block and all is well that means you are shorting to the heater block or something in the installation is causing a short in the circuit.
September 12, 2014 07:32AM
Hi Vegasloki,

Thanks for your reply. I have been over the thermistor connections multiple times. I just fitted two brand new ones yesterday. I rechecked this morning to ensure that i could rule it out. I separated each connection from its molex/crimp and reconnected them. I have again, been give the same error I have had since the first time tried to connect to my printer.

Copied from Pronterface

Connecting...
start
Printer is now online.
echo:Marlin1.0.0
echo: Last Updated: Aug 26 2014 00:22:09 | Author: (none, default config)
Compiled: Aug 26 2014
echo: Free Memory: 5251 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded
echoconfused smileyteps per unit:
echo: M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z4000.00 E700.00
echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
echo: M203 X250.00 Y250.00 Z2.00 E22.00
echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
echo: M201 X1000 Y1000 Z5 E1000
echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
echo: M204 S500.00 T500.00
echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s), E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00
echo:Home offset (mm):
echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
echotongue sticking out smileyID settings:
echo: M301 P22.20 I1.08 D114.00
Error:Temperature heated bed switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !!
[ERROR] Error:Temperature heated bed switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !!

Errortongue sticking out smileyrinter stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
[ERROR] Errortongue sticking out smileyrinter stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)

Any ideas?

With thanks,

Kev
September 12, 2014 09:56AM
is it possible the heated bed thermister is not installed correctly or shorted out? are you using the correct thermister table in firmware? have you tried to change which ad channel your plugged into? for example Nozzle may use T0 thermister for heated bed is not necessarily T1. you may want to swap thermister connections to see if problem switched to nozzle thermister. this will tell you if that adc channel it is working.
you can disable the heated bed in firmware to test the rest of printer.

also some versions of firmware have configuration.h files with a high temp setting in them. make sure you did not change one of these settings by accident. if you exceed this max setting then firmware will cause machine to shut down, for example if this was set at a low temp <20 then your machine will never turn on.

several people on this forum will try tp help you. post your configuration.h file and we will take a look at it for you.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2014 10:06AM by jamesdanielv.
September 12, 2014 01:16PM
Hi Guys,

Just a message to say thank you. After checking for a short, and re-checking for a short........ and finally re-checking for a short, with your help fixed it.

I thought I'd post this message for any other users who have this problem. I literally disassembled everything numerous times, added new connectors and re assembled, but to no avail. I'm nut sure exactly where the short was or whether it was a bad crimp connection.

Tip for anyone with a similar problem:

-Check connections
-Disassemble
-Check connections
-Disassemble

I had done this so many times that I was SURE parts were faulty. The manufacturer had even sent me a replacement Arduino, RAMPS and stepper controllers (which i still have... Score!)

Again, Thank you
Kev
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login