Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

4 z axis motors on arduino mega pololu shield 1.4

Posted by tomasg1983 
4 z axis motors on arduino mega pololu shield 1.4
September 11, 2014 12:04PM
This is my first post here ...Im building a large printer and need extra support on the z axis. I was wondering if anyone has experience with connecting 4 z axis motors to a arduino mega pololu shield 1.4. The bored has 8 pins in the z axis but the wiring diagram only shows connections to 4. If it is possible, would i utilize the extra pins or wire them in sequence. and can the drivers (A4988 stepper driver) handle the extra two motors. any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Re: 4 z axis motors on arduino mega pololu shield 1.4
September 11, 2014 02:48PM
There are 2 sets of 4-pin headers. They are wired in parallel to allow you to easily just connect two pre-wired motors. You could accomplish the same thing if you wired all motors together by twisting like colored leads and plugging them into a single header. Generally speaking, parallel wired steppers maintain equal but lower overall torque while series wired motors maintain higher torque, but torque lowers as speed decreases.

I think you're asking for all sorts of problems trying to drive 4 motors in sync with just a ramps board. If you were going to be able to get away with it, you might try wiring two motors in series, then each pair in parallel. Or better, but not great would be to use E1 (the 2nd extruder connection) to drive a pair of motors in parallel or series, and then z-axis to drive a pair. Marlin supports this in current branches. Not sure about other firmware.

I think a better solution (although likely to require menchancial reconfiguration) is two double ended steppers each driven by a dedicated controller, or possibly 1 larger single ended with belts or a series of shafts to interconnect all axes.
Re: 4 z axis motors on arduino mega pololu shield 1.4
September 11, 2014 05:22PM
Great Ideas thanks for the reply! Interesting to use the 2 extruder as a driver. I might try that and see if it does the trick if not I will be back to the drawing board and will try and reconfigure the mechanical equipment! thank you very much!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login