Advanced

2010 Bay Area Maker Faire smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by SebastienBailard 
2010 Bay Area Maker Faire smiling bouncing smiley
March 25, 2010 05:02AM
So who thinks they will be coming out to the
2010 Bay Area Maker Faire!!! ?
May 22nd and 23rd, 2010,
San Mateo County Event Center, California.

And, more specifically, are you

1) Probably coming? or Definitely coming!
2) Selling stuff* ?
3) Bringing a machine?
4) Coming from out of town?

* And splitting a ~$300 divided by n-people selling-stuff fee.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
I will definitely stop by to say hello!
MakerBlock
Re: 2010 Bay Area Maker Faire smiling bouncing smiley
March 25, 2010 11:00AM
I'd love to, but I would have to fly all the way across the US!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The whole is more than the sum of its parts." - Aristotle

[www.cyrozap.com]
March 25, 2010 02:06PM
I will probably be there. MakeZine is awesome so MakerFaire is probably too, right ? If RepRap machines are there it will have to be nice.
It is not around the corner though, I am from Germany.

(ftx.ionscale.com)
March 25, 2010 03:20PM
I wish! I have spent all my money on McWire and Mendel parts!

Mike
March 25, 2010 10:03PM
I expect to be helping out in the E.R.P.S display. If I get a chance I'll see if I can look you up in person.

-julie
March 27, 2010 03:51PM
I know for sure I'm coming. I'm looking forward to it, too!

-Adam

"Day breaks, but decay soon follows."
March 28, 2010 02:13AM
I was planning on applying for a booth to display reprap development for myself and two others. I would be happy to split the cost of the booth. please let me know your plans so we can coordinate.

Thanks,

Mike
March 29, 2010 12:31AM
I am coming. I doubt I will have my machine along. Its a long trip for me from Wisconsin so I will probably fly and don't want to deal with the hassles of bringing equipment along.

-- Chris
April 01, 2010 02:18AM
Here's my working list :

| Name | Tabling | Bringing Machine | Selling | Out of town | Hotel |
| Sebastien Bailard | y | n | n | y | y |
| fourtrax | y | y | n | y | |
| Mike | n | y | y * 3 | y | |
| Rob Gilson | y | y | y | y | y |
| Tim Myrtle | y | y x 3 | y | n | |
| Wade Bortz | y | y | n | y | y |
| Tonok | ? | ? | ? | y | |
| Chris | y | n | n | y | |
| Jonathan Marsden | y | n | n | y | |
| krafter | y | n | n | y | |
| Endeavor | ? | ? | ? | y | |
| | | | | | |
AIIIIGHH! My formating!

I just received some paperwork from Maker Faire regarding pricing, and commercial booths. Right now I'm guessing we'll pay ???USD 300 / 5???

$60 each for the folk selling stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2010 02:19AM by SebastienBailard.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Yess! While planning vacation (2 weeks california), it turned out that i am right there in S.F. for Maker Faire! Unbelievable! I am from Germany and a frequent reader of the MakeBlog and always read about the faires with the certainty to possibly never attend one. Now thats too good! I started a repstrap made from wood and printer parts a while ago that is waiting for extruder and electronics. Maybe meeting you guys will give it the long-needed kickoff?

@FOURTRAX: Wo genau kommst du her? Ich bin in Hamburg. Gibt es andere reprapper in meiner Nähe?

I am so looking forward to seeing you guys (and your machines, of course).

-Stefan
April 01, 2010 08:05AM
Holzwurm and chris-nobody are both in the Hamburg area.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 01, 2010 04:49PM
I am interested, but I don't know if I will be able to make it yet. I will let you know more closer to then.
April 18, 2010 07:08PM
Will definitely be at the Faire and will drop by the RepRap booth to make connections with everyone and share stories on experiments with extruder technology.

Currently I'm diving into the professional engineering literature on plastic extrusion. Field is clearly very arcane, with lots of patents and trade secrets, and a focus on high volume continuous production. Hope to extract some useful info that can be scaled down to our needs and assemble an extruder FAQ. Your help is solicited.

Looks like I might also be giving a talk at the Faire on some ideas about creating ad hoc small project teams to engage is maker projects with social impact, i.e., sort of like a Maker "Peace" Corp to build things for the disabled. A RepRapper would often be a critical part of such teams. Anybody have any good ideas about projects in this area? (Would like to fold them into my speech.)

Mike (computational physicist, computer scientist, machinist, wood worker, scanner)
April 19, 2010 04:16AM
Looks like I might also be giving a talk at the Faire on some ideas about creating ad hoc small project teams to engage is maker projects with social impact, i.e., sort of like a Maker "Peace" Corp to build things for the disabled. A RepRapper would often be a critical part of such teams. Anybody have any good ideas about projects in this area? (Would like to fold them into my speech.)

Here is the best idea that we have come up with (other ideas are welcome)
[forums.reprap.org]
I'm hoping RepRap will help host a number of projects like this, as part of "RepRap Without Borders":
[forums.reprap.org]

I would also suggest turning a RepRap (especially Eiffel) into a paper-embossing braille printer.

Currently I'm diving into the professional engineering literature on plastic extrusion. Field is clearly very arcane, with lots of patents and trade secrets, and a focus on high volume continuous production. Hope to extract some useful info that can be scaled down to our needs and assemble an extruder FAQ. Your help is solicited.

NopHead did some research, and blogged it. BeagleFury has a page in the wiki on the subject of filament and extruder physics.
[reprap.org]
You are welcome to start threads on various articles or ideas in appropriate forums for "RepRap journal club" material.

April 29, 2010 07:20AM
Current Status

|  # | Name              | Handle         | Sat | Sun | Machine | Selling | nonlocal | email                 |
|  1 | Sebastien Bailard | n/a            | y   | y   | n       | n       | y        | penguin@supermeta.com |
|  2 | Gerrit Wyen       | fourtrax       | y   | y   | n?      | n       | y        |                       |
|  3 | Adam Aitoumeziane | ziplock        | y   | y   | n?      | n       | ?        |                       |
|  4 | Mike  _____?      | Mike           | y   | y   | y       | y       | ?        |                       |
|  5 | Mike's friend 1   | ?              | y   | y   | y?      | y       | ?        |                       |
|  6 | Mike's friend 2   | ?              | y   | y   | y?      | y       | ?        |                       |
|  7 | Rob Gilson        | n/a            | y   | y   | y       | y       | y        |                       |
|  8 | Tim  Myrtle       | bothacker      | y   | y   | y       | y       | n        |                       |
|  9 | Wade Bortz        |                | y   | y   | y       | n       | y        |                       |
| 10 | __________        | Tonok          | ??  | ??  | ?       | ?       | y        |                       |
| 11 | Chris _____       | krafter        | y   | y   | n       | n       | y        |                       |
| 12 | Jonathan Marsden  |                | ??  | y   | n       | n       | y        |                       |
| 13 | Stefan Wallmann   | Stefan 123   ( | y   | y   | n       | n       | y        |                       |
| 14 | Lambert Andrus    |                | y   | y   | y       | y       | y        |                       |
| 15 | Enrique Muyshondt | Endeavor       | y   | y   | y       | y?      | y        |                       |
| 16 | Miyuki Chovanetz  | n/a            | y   | y   | n       | n       | y        |                       |

Count 14-16?
Machines 5-6?
Selling 5-6 (splitting a $300 seller cost)

grinning smiley

I think we'll want a 10'x30' space, ~ 6-7 tables, and 120V-30A for electrical.

Tickets:
[makerfaire.com]

Advance Ticket Pricing (through midnight 5/12/2010):
Adult - $20.00 day, ($30.00) weekend

On-site and After May 12th
Adult - $25.00 day, ($50.00) weekend

I think we actually want to buy a block of group tickets at $30 * .65:
USD19.50

Group Discount: Groups of 10 or larger must register and purchase tickets online at the Maker Faire website makerfairetickets.com. Their tickets must be purchased at the same time to take advantage of this offer and use the following code - MFGROUP. This 35% discount cannot be combined with any other offer.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2010 08:31AM by SebastienBailard.

April 29, 2010 09:26AM
Hey, I just go laid off. I jokingly suggested to my wife this morning that I could pick up those printers that I posted awhile back, salvage them myself, and take the steppers to the maker fair to sell and pay my way.

It looks a lot more doable than I though it would. So what about accommodations? Anybody in the area that I could crash with? How are park benches this time of year?

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
April 29, 2010 04:58PM
I'll be there as an attendee only. I'm still working on my first RepStrap and will probably have quite a few questions for those who're farther down the path than I.

Absolutely looking forward to meeting some of you people in person!
April 29, 2010 07:00PM
I'll be there as attendee. Still don't have printed parts for my mendel, hope to pick some up smiling smiley
April 30, 2010 01:38AM
I'll be there with some friends, and possibly a working Mendel. We'll see cool smiley
April 30, 2010 07:08PM
I'm in!
April 30, 2010 11:43PM
Email address is sanctitiesrares@gmail.com. Already have room/board, and I won't be bringing a machine (urg! Still need Mendel's printed parts!)

-Adam

May 01, 2010 01:56AM
Folk,

If you are sure you are going, I suggest you buy your tickets very soon, rather than putting it off. smiling smiley

[makerfaire.com]

A weekend ticket for an adult is $30. That is until May 12th, whence it jumps up to $50.

Endeavor pointed out space may get a bit tight. I'm going to request 10 x 40 ft, and 9 tables. I'd suggest that we bring along a few extension cords and power strips as well.

May 03, 2010 05:09PM
Just got off the phone with Kate Rowe of Maker Faire, and I'll have to reread the docs she sent me.

I've asked for a 10x40, she will see what she can do, but I think we're going to have to make do with a 10x30 space. eye rolling smiley

Also, and I didn't understand this earlier: we pay $300 (plus $89 for 5 amps of electrical) for each 10x10 which is flagged "commercial". So, for the folk selling, do you want to claim 10 x 20 and split $689 by ?n? people or claim 10 x 10 and split $389 by ?n? people?

Electrical service is expensive; what do you guys think we need: 120 V 15 A?
5A being "commercial".

Lastly, one of two of you placed requests for your own booths before deciding to merge. If you have not canceled that request, Kate asks that you contact her at kate@makezine.com or 707-829-1154 to do so.

Also, it might be fun to coordinate and do up a set of parts for ziplock.
grinning smiley

Attachments:
open | download - BAMF10 Commercial Maker Payment Form.pdf (88.6 KB)
open | download - MFBA10 Maker Manual FINAL R.pdf (467.9 KB)
open | download - MFBA10 Maker Manual FINAL R.pdf (467.9 KB)
May 03, 2010 08:51PM
Sebastien, thanks for the plug!
A note to anyone trying to get tickets: The hotel that Make had arranged with (the Crowne Plaza) has run out of rooms at the special rate.

However, the Hilton Garden Inn (IIRC) is still open for booking. If you haven't booked travel/hotel yet, it might be wise to jump on it, as tickets prices for airfare have gone up, and the special rate expires soon.

-Adam

May 10, 2010 04:46AM
Kimberly wrote:
Where do I send the money to participate? Is it to you? How Much? Does that in include power? Do you know when we are expected to set-up by and take-down by?

Is that enough questions?

Yup. smiling smiley

Right now my understanding of the fee is that you and one or two other parties will split a $359 booth fee. (Fee: $300 commercial maker fee plus $89 for electrical minus $30 for FOO*).

I'm putting that on my credit card and would like to be paid back in nice hard cash.smoking smiley So, if we have 3 parties total, then each party will pay me ~$120 in cash.

Set-up, tear-down: See the pdfs above. I'll be arriving around ~noon-1pm on Friday Afternoon.

*FOO: Does anyone not have a ticket? We're getting one (FOO) with the commercial booth which I am selling for $30.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2010 04:49AM by SebastienBailard.

May 10, 2010 10:11AM
We are definitely going. Can we buy one of the tickets from you and we will buy two more from the makerfaire. We will bring cash when we come to pay our share of the booth and a ticket(?) We will bring a machine to show and stuff to sell.
CU There!
May 10, 2010 10:45PM
Our hackerspace from Phoenix,AZ "HeatSync Labs" has been working on a Mendel version and will be at the MakerFaire with it. We've arranged for a table for our group, however, we would love to talk about our experience working on it so far. We have the Mendel constructed but we're still having issues calibrating our extruder. Would love to get some input about this stage from other people working on it in person. See you all there! smiling smiley

-Jeremy
May 17, 2010 01:55AM
We are making a family trip down to the Maker Faire and will definitely stop by and chat. Will anyone be selling colored PLA? I saw some of Vik's colored PLA at Metrix Create Space (Seattle) and I'd love to get some yellow to print up a few Banana Slugs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login