Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is the 10" V-Slot Prusa i3 kit from MakerFarm a good buy?

Posted by Blue Ice 
Is the 10" V-Slot Prusa i3 kit from MakerFarm a good buy?
August 21, 2014 11:54AM
Hello everyone,

I've been looking at 3D printing for about a year and a half now... and I decided that I want to get a 3D printer of my own.

I looked at MakerFarm's Prusa i3 and some others, but I don't know if it is a good first 3D printer. I have lots of experience in building and repairing things, so assembly does not concern me, but price does. It seems like this is a good price for the kit, and I think the 10" over the 8" is a good idea.

Can you help guide me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Blue Ice
Re: Is the 10" V-Slot Prusa i3 kit from MakerFarm a good buy?
August 21, 2014 03:08PM
I just ordered the 10" 2 days ago. I was bound and determined to source my own parts and build a Wilson TS version, then looked at one called the Lautr3k since it used screws and extrusions, but in the end I decided to go with this one due to it being a kit already to go, the support and response that Collin has given, and other review out there. I decided when I get to the point I can build another I will build my own but for a first this is a good deal. especially with the open builds v rails stuff. I am going with an E3d hot end right from the start, so I think I am spending about $120 more than what I figured for parts of the Wilson with the same build area, but I think I will be more comfortable starting like this.
August 21, 2014 11:32PM
Man, the Wilson looks really nice... I think I'll price it out just to see what it'll look like smiling smiley
August 24, 2014 02:33AM
Have you seen the i3 over at shop.diytechshop.com? If you message them and tell them you will by the 12" 12" 12" if they give you a second extruder free winking smiley
August 28, 2014 09:15PM
Welp, I went and bought the Replikeo kit... I'm excited, and we will see how everything turns out!

One of the big reasons I ended up going for Replikeo's version is that it is made like a real RepRap. This means that I can replace the parts more easily, while I can't replace the wood parts on the Makerfarm build. Also, the heatbed is a standard size, which makes replacement simple. Maybe in the future, I will get a bigger printer smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2014 09:16PM by Blue Ice.

Blue Ice

blog at [contemporarymaker.com]
wol
October 02, 2014 07:18PM
usarmyaircav
I just ordered the 10" 2 days ago....s.

So how is the MakerFarm 10" working out for you. I'm at the point where I think it is the best printer for the money and options,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login