Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

print bed dials

Posted by Miertam 
print bed dials
August 21, 2014 03:23AM
One of the problems I am having leveling my print bed is I can never tell exactly how far I have moved the screw. What would be Ideal would be some side mounted jack screw with a dial. Is there anything out there like that? I think I could rig something up using a couple of drywall anchors a washer or two and some pins. But just being able to tell how much movement happened would be enough.

Thanks Mike
Re: print bed dials
August 21, 2014 05:56AM
Hey,

what i would do is attach a depth gauge to the extruder carriage

One like this: [www.ebay.co.uk]

and then the say tell your printer to go to Z 5mm or something and mark down whether it is + or - of that value.

From there you can alter the screws until it says 5mm or whatever.

Hope this helps,

Alex
August 21, 2014 09:08AM
Are you looking for just the initial bed leveling? Or continued monitoring of the positioning? Nophead created a simple holder that holds a dial gauge where the hotend would go. Something like that helps in the initial leveling, but not for monitoring after things have been setup for actual printing.
August 21, 2014 09:49AM
I am looking for something to use after my innital setup. I have the bed pretty level right now. I would like something that when I notice that the printbed is say higher in one corner (My usual clue is the brim is more squished on one side of the print.) I can make a slight adjustment then go on with the print.

Thanks Mike
August 21, 2014 09:59AM
Oh, I have been searching for something like that! It looks like I might have to print out a foot for it to get it to work with my setup. It's something I might be able to just walk into a auto parts store and pick up.

Thank You Mike.
August 21, 2014 05:13PM
You might also check out auto bed leveling. I didn't add it for quite some time and I wish I had done it sooner. Would have saved me a lot of time.
August 22, 2014 12:41AM
I think I would have to replace my controler board for that. I have a Gen 6 knockoff. thumbs down

But..for my next printer..

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login