Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Full Graphic Smart Controller

Posted by Avocation 
Full Graphic Smart Controller
August 18, 2014 09:57AM

Hi All,
I have the RepRap Discount Full Graphics smart controller connected to RAMPS1.4 on Arduino for my Prusa i3.

It doesn't appear to give me a 'printing progress' indicator - just elapsed time from start of print.

Is there a setting I need to change to enable this at all?

Many thanks,

Richard
Re: Full Graphic Smart Controller
August 18, 2014 11:44AM
are you printing from sd card?
August 18, 2014 12:49PM
That bar is the indicator, it's based off file size I believe. There is currently no way to get a countdown timer or layer height. I have tried to get Kisslicer to add the total print time in seconds as a gcode which we could read in the firmware and countdown instead of up but it has not happened yet.
August 19, 2014 10:12AM
I have the same setup. The bar only shows the progress when printing from the SD card.
August 19, 2014 10:58AM
Yes Jamesdanielv,
It's printing from the SD card.

The bar doesn't give a sense of time to complete though. Is there any way to achieve this at all?

Thanks far all the comments.

Richard
August 19, 2014 10:59AM
Also, what's the 'FR 100%' meant to tell you?
August 19, 2014 11:10AM
"Feed rate" or an adjustment to overall printing speed.
August 19, 2014 11:13AM
tjb1
That bar is the indicator, it's based off file size I believe. There is currently no way to get a countdown timer or layer height. I have tried to get Kisslicer to add the total print time in seconds as a gcode which we could read in the firmware and countdown instead of up but it has not happened yet.

Avocation
Yes Jamesdanielv,
It's printing from the SD card.

The bar doesn't give a sense of time to complete though. Is there any way to achieve this at all?

Thanks far all the comments.

Richard

No.

Until the bolded selection happens on the main slicers, it will be unlikely to see firmware implementation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2014 11:14AM by tjb1.
August 19, 2014 12:18PM
Thanks TJB1,
What's the rationale for not adding this functionality? Surely it's valuable for lots of applications...

Richard
August 19, 2014 12:40PM
Avocation
Thanks TJB1,
What's the rationale for not adding this functionality? Surely it's valuable for lots of applications...

Richard

It requires slicer implementation, that itself will require the big ones to decide on a G or M code to use for timing. Something like G700 S152323 would probably work with the numbers following the S being the print time in seconds. Then it must be implemented in the firmware which isn't real difficult, just need someone savvy to edit some code and push it to the main ones.

One problem is the slicers are not terribly accurate with times, some settings require a bit of tuning to get the time to settle in. Another problem is that displays like the full graphic do not work with delta printers on Marlin at least, running the display causes the printer to stutter through moves and pause at random times. The printer will work with it on but may have problems, I have tried it on mine with delta segments from 20-200 and can not resolve the problem without removing the display. This is not an issue on cartesian bots as the calculations used for motion are less complex. I have no idea how much worse the problem may get adding the time, I've asked for the feature to be added on the Kisslicer dev thread but do not believe its been added yet.
August 19, 2014 08:14PM
tjb1
Another problem is that displays like the full graphic do not work with delta printers on Marlin at least, running the display causes the printer to stutter through moves and pause at random times. The printer will work with it on but may have problems, I have tried it on mine with delta segments from 20-200 and can not resolve the problem without removing the display.

Try Repetier firmware. The full-graphics LCD (GLCD) support is supposedly better optimized versus Marlin, and my old Delta had very few and minor stutters with the GLCD enabled and no other firmware parameters changed.....
August 20, 2014 07:30AM
vreihen
tjb1
Another problem is that displays like the full graphic do not work with delta printers on Marlin at least, running the display causes the printer to stutter through moves and pause at random times. The printer will work with it on but may have problems, I have tried it on mine with delta segments from 20-200 and can not resolve the problem without removing the display.

Try Repetier firmware. The full-graphics LCD (GLCD) support is supposedly better optimized versus Marlin, and my old Delta had very few and minor stutters with the GLCD enabled and no other firmware parameters changed.....

Thanks but I run the FSR leveling Marlin from Johann, too much work to add to Repetier and would have to redo it every update since they hide it behind the configuration tool now. I guess until it becomes a problem to print from the computer, I'll stay with USB but I was trying to add this timer before I removed it and have asked yesterday whether or not the seconds command made it in to Kiss yet.
June 29, 2015 09:46PM
any one know how to remove the 2nd and 3rd hotend on display?
June 30, 2015 04:20AM
@ncapaldi1985 Just update your Marlin Firmware with the new one (MarlinFirmware GitHub)

Prusa i3 - e3d v5 - Gnu/Linux - Pronterface - Slic3r - Octoprint - Rpi - French
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login