Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using flexible filament

Posted by mondo50m 
Using flexible filament
July 27, 2014 09:10PM
Not sure that anyone is interested, but I have had my MendelMax 1.5 for over a year now and have finally decided to get a sample of NinjaFlex and give it a go. I ordered 30 feet of black material to get started. I believe that I am fortunate as the micro extruder with the PG35L stepper is a great combination for the flexible material. Nothing has to be modified to be able to extrude flexible filament. I started by using a temp of 225 C, 30mm speed and minimal cooling. After several tries, my final specs are: temp: 213C, speed: 20mm across the board. Meaning ALL speed settings are at 20mm. I am going to go for more speed in the future, for now I am sticking with 20mm as it prints nicely there. I am using retract as set in Cura at 40mm and 4mm retract. Cooling is set at 60% with the fan that I am using for cooling. Both 200 microns and 300 microns work equally well. I find that Cura works much better with the Ninjaflex than Slic3r does. Glad that Repetier is now available with both of the slicers included. So far, I have only printed some rubber Lego blocks and a Halloween black widow spider. If I had a decent camera, I would include some photos. To sum it up, Ninjaflex is great to work with once you get your machine tuned for it. Having the right extruder is the first step. By the way, does anyone now how to add another slicer to Repetier? I would like to add the Craftware (?) slicer to the Repetier software to give it a try. Any help is appreciated.

Milt
Re: Using flexible filament
July 28, 2014 07:46AM
Use the Manager function and add a watch directory where Repetier host should look for generated gcode files. Integration will not be as smooth as Slic3r/Skeinforge/CuraEngine, but it will work ok. There also is a Repetier specific forum area.

http://www.i3d.ro
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login