Opinions: Wades extruder

Posted by RC-CnC 
Opinions: Wades extruder
July 22, 2014 08:51PM
Hey folks

Any comments on this extruder
Re: Opinions: Wades extruder
July 22, 2014 10:38PM
What printer do you have? The one in the picture looks like it's for a mendel, and won't fit a prusa i3. Other than that, I thought it was expensive at first, but it does come with the hotend and the stepper motor, so maybe it's reasonable if you compare sourcing the stuff yourself.

Bruce
July 22, 2014 10:46PM
Well let's just say it's Mendel based smiling smiley
July 22, 2014 11:16PM
why would this not work on an i3 prusa? all you need is an adaptable mount [www.thingiverse.com]

the x carriage bars are oriented differently in i3
July 23, 2014 03:14AM
jamesdanielv
why would this not work on an i3 prusa? all you need is an adaptable mount [www.thingiverse.com]

the x carriage bars are oriented differently in i3

The adaptable mount might work. It looks like it might require replacing the x carriage as well. It appears it would also be pushing the whole assembly much further forward to clear the motor. This would mean possibly reducing your build volume in the y direction and also pushing the weight out further which seems like it would put more stress on the x-axis. If you see Gregs Wade extruders modified for the i3 though, the motor mount is moved up so the motor clears the smooth rods. No adapter needed.

Bruce
July 23, 2014 02:23PM
Seems pretty expensive also for what it includes.
July 24, 2014 09:05AM
CptanPanic
Seems pretty expensive also for what it includes.

I'm not afraid to say it: It's a rip-off! Both arms.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
July 24, 2014 09:57AM
The price is fair enough - $20 for a motor, $50 for a hotend and $35 for the printed parts and misc hardware.
July 24, 2014 06:22PM
I think the price is fair, but I'm not a huge fan of the Wade's reloaded extruder. It's big and requires a lot of space, and I'm not particularly fond of the idler/tensioner system. That said, it works well on the TAZ, and it's certainly a usable and popular design.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login