Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fusing plastic pieces

Posted by anton 
Fusing plastic pieces
February 22, 2010 04:58AM
This weekend I went to a LEGO exhibition with my daughter, and I gained a little nugget of information about how they fuse some of their parts together, which I thought I'd share, in case somebody finds it useful.

They use sound waves, more specifically at 20kHz, they didn't mention a specific amplitude, but the machine operators are required to wear hearing protection, so I guess it is pretty high.

The board said that at 20kHz the friction between the pieces would be sufficient to cause the blocks to fuse. The specific example was a LEGO window, where they used sound waves to fuse the transparent plastic with the frame.
VDX
Re: Fusing plastic pieces
February 22, 2010 05:12AM
... another idea: embedd some metallic wires in the gap to fuse and apply induction-heating, what's heating the wires and let the surrounding platic melt ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 22, 2010 05:53AM
anton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This weekend I went to a LEGO exhibition with my
> daughter, and I gained a little nugget of
> information about how they fuse some of their
> parts together, which I thought I'd share, in case
> somebody finds it useful.
>
> They use sound waves, more specifically at 20kHz,
> they didn't mention a specific amplitude, but the
> machine operators are required to wear hearing
> protection, so I guess it is pretty high.
>
> The board said that at 20kHz the friction between
> the pieces would be sufficient to cause the blocks
> to fuse. The specific example was a LEGO window,
> where they used sound waves to fuse the
> transparent plastic with the frame.

Nice! Thank you ;-) -- This is interesting, I am sure we can use this info later.

---
New cutting edge RepRap electronics, ARM 32 bits @ 100MHz runs RepRap @ 725mm/s:

[www.3dprinting-r2c2.com]
February 22, 2010 11:23AM
I made ABS paste by dissolving some scrap rafts in acetone. It doesn't cure quickly, but it makes a pure ABS bond.

I've been wondering if this can be used as an epoxy for joining the thermal barrier to the extruder block.

Darwin clone, Gen 2 electronics, Arduino Duemilanove w/ AtMega328, 5D Firmware, Pinchwheel extruder
[www.codeerrors.com]
February 22, 2010 03:58PM
It sounds like ultrasonic welding, with the right amplitude and frequency its possible to weld all sorts of materials, even wood.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login