Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

no power to ramps

Posted by BD3161 
no power to ramps
April 17, 2014 04:50AM
I got a n ew ramps 1.4, it had no D1 installed, so i did it, but board will not lite up, green led. got 12v coming in, any ideas? it is like no power to the ramps, press the reset button and the green lcd blinks twice,,arduino works fine when powered from usb,
Re: no power to ramps
April 17, 2014 06:08AM
D1 In the correct way?

Silver band should be at be at closest to power plug

April 18, 2014 04:11AM
yes that is the way it was soldered, silver band closest to power, now when I plug the arduino in to the computer, the green led comes on and then goes out.
April 18, 2014 04:13AM
also checked the voltage on the arduino and it reads 5v, the voltage on the ramps reads, volts from the psu. Just not getting the 5v to circulate or something
April 18, 2014 04:33AM
While board is off and unplugged from the maga and power

With a multi meter on ohms, check there is a connection to the am-vin pin from the diode silver end (should be directly down from where the diode goes threw the board. on the lower mega connector.

On the mega the am-vin pin is the last pin on the first lower block of pins (just labeded vin)

There are some boards that have this trace missing apparently.
April 18, 2014 08:22AM
hope I found trhe right place, the vin( left screwdriver) to the side of the reset button on 5v (other screwdriver)was 7.16, just got a one on the other side, had multimeter set to 20K
April 18, 2014 08:36AM
forgot to attach,
one thing I noticed when I zoomed in on it: the deformity of the pin socket at the base, maybe melted from to many volts? if the reading of 7.16 is correct for a 5v bus. What do ya think?
Attachments:
open | download - 20140418_193659-1.jpg (175.5 KB)
April 18, 2014 09:03AM
I was meaning on the ramps... the mega was just to point out what pin it was.

but your mega pic is most enlightening!

all that black around the vin pin isnt right... I suspect you have a dead mega, in particular the Vin pin, looks melted out! sad smiley

I would replace that connector and carefully scrape off the gunk and try again.
April 19, 2014 01:35AM
ya I didn't think it looked right when I blew up the picture. //will try and change it tomorrow.
April 19, 2014 04:32AM
I did do some further tests, on the arduino board I got 5 between the 5v and gnd, then I rechecked the ramps board as you suggested between the d1 silver end and the vin pin on the ramps and got 0
April 19, 2014 06:08AM
Thats sounds like you where checking voltage... requested ohms for a continuity test.. also while its off.
April 19, 2014 09:33AM
oh, so a continuity check, I had it set ohms on the multimeter
April 19, 2014 09:36AM
the 5v was on the arduino socket vin(voltage test), didn't mean to confuse you, but had it set ohms for the test on ramps
April 19, 2014 06:36PM
have you looked at the voltage reg on the arduino, looks like the magic smoke got out..?

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
April 20, 2014 03:05AM
how do I check the voltage regulators, I think there are three?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login