Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Should I scrap this Eventorbot and salvage parts for a RepRap.

Posted by scubamaniac 
Should I scrap this Eventorbot and salvage parts for a RepRap.
April 10, 2014 09:24PM
I wanted to build my first 3D printer, so I purchased an "Eventorbot" kit from a kickstarter, mistakenly thinking it would make things easier having everything included. I sure was wrong. The designer skipped town, abandoning contact with everyone, leaving everyone hanging. Finally after over a year, I get a box of parts, however the frame is nowhere near straight, and not likely useable as is. I understand there are a number of design flaws as well. It was supposedly designed with the intent of fewer parts, and a solid frame, making it supposedly less succeptible to wobble, however from my understanding this is not the case, and people are having to add extra supports to beef it up. Overall very few people seem to have successfully built one, and the ones who did, seemed to need to make all sorts of mods, reinforcements, extra parts etc.

So not wanting to invest my limited time in something with little promise, I'm trying to figure the best way to cut my losses. I'm thinking about just abandoning the crooked frame, and Eventorbot design alltogether, and taking the stepper motors, Sanguinololu board, and whatever other parts I can salvage, and building something like a RepRap Prusa, or some other RepRap model.

Looking for some opinions from people more experienced what the best way to go might be? Any idea how much it would cost to build one when I already have the board, steppers, possibly a hothead that may work, etc? And how long it would likely take? Any other general advice for this situation?

Thanks.
Re: Should I scrap this Eventorbot and salvage parts for a RepRap.
April 14, 2014 11:45AM
What exactly is in the kit? It sounds to me like you could probably convert it to, say, a Kossel for a few hundred dollars. The most expensive bits are the steppers, the controller/drivers, and the hotend. If you already have all of those, you're fairly close.

If it has "standard parts" -- ground rods, LM8UUs, belts/pulleys, etc. -- you're in luck. It depends how much money and effort you'd be willing to put into the build, but you could probably convert what you have to a functioning RepRap. One potential stumbling block is getting the plastic parts -- you'll have to find someone with a printer you can borrow.
Re: Should I scrap this Eventorbot and salvage parts for a RepRap.
April 14, 2014 03:38PM
I think a Prusa i3 box frame would also be quite easy to make with just a few wooden planks and some vitamins added like smooth rods, threaded rods and some nuts and bolts to connect everything. I think a Delta printed might be harder to start out with.

Anyway you're best off with just buying a frame kit and use the electronics from the eventorbot. That sounds like the best thing to do. Basically you could apply it to almost every kind of reprap/reprap derived printer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login