Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Makerfarm 8" Frame DXF

Posted by LeChuck71 
Makerfarm 8" Frame DXF
March 04, 2014 03:13PM
Hello,

new to the 3d printer business I am looking forward into building one. One issue is to keep the costs as low as possible. I have access to a cnc laser so I thought it would be clever to use a frame layout that does not need too many RP parts.
The one I really like is the 8" makerfarm frame, but I don't know if this layout is available as a DXF file. I also found the Graber i3 which looks nice too, but there are not that much information about building and BOM

So my questions are
1. Is the makerfarm 8" frame available as a DXF file?
2. Which other frame would you suggest for a start (with a very low count on RP parts to start with)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Axel
Re: Makerfarm 8" Frame DXF
March 04, 2014 03:49PM
Hello Axel,
you can grab the source file from makerfarm for there 8in prusa I3 frame here in a .pwj file format..

I have converted the files for my own review as i can not open pwj files just a few days ago..
DWG MakerfarmPrusaI38inSourceFiles.dwg
DXF MakerfarmPrusaI38inSourceFiles.dxf
PLT ( inkscape ) MakerfarmPrusaI38inSourceFiles.plt

I use Draftsight for all my dwg/dxf files. I am still learning all this cad stuf so I can not garuntee the accuracy. If someone wants to review my files for errors. I welcome it.
I hope this helps.
March 04, 2014 06:54PM
Just for grins I opened the file in AutoCAD LT 2014 with no problem. One thing that should always be included in files like this is a line with text next to it that says something like: "This line is exactly 20mm long" or one inch etc. That way someone opening it can always check that it is scaled correctly. So lacking this, and any dimensions, I can't tell you if the file is the correct size. I note that there are quite few extraneous short lines that I don't believe are of any use. There are also quite a few gaps on every part. Are they there to produce holding tabs with a laser? I don't know. Also a few lines that look like should be exactly parallel to the X or Y axis are slightly jogged, so there is some possibility the part is distorted.

Hope this helps.
March 05, 2014 05:16AM
wow thanks for the links.

I am using Solidworks so I will see what I can get out of the DXF file as a sketch template and extract some geometry. ATM I am thinking of building a "virtual" printer first just to get to know the parts and stuff.

The comment about one reference measurement is a great idea otherwise you never know if the drawing is in the right scale.

Cheers
Axel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2014 05:16AM by LeChuck71.
March 13, 2014 07:13PM
Hi there,

can someone confirm that the Makerfarm 8" frame is 5mm thick?

Cheers
Axel
October 12, 2014 05:40PM
... does someone tried this drawings? coz in official video lil bit different frame [www.youtube.com]
October 19, 2014 03:40PM
different hole sizes... from 4.7 to 5.12 mm. something wrong..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2014 05:29PM by sanderlt.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login