Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z-axis Problem

Posted by Paul Armin 
Z-axis Problem
March 03, 2014 09:44AM
Hello everyone

I am already building a 3d printer and my x and y axis are working but somehow z isnt. And i checked everything and also switched the motors and it worked so the problem has to be in the configuration.h file from arduino. It would be very nice if someone could maybe post their configuration.h file here or could send me a e-mail with the file to this mail adress: -REMOVED-
Also im only using the MAX Endstops on the top and try to just limit the length instead of using MIN endstops

Greets Armin

Edit: Please don't post email addresses in plain text. It just invites spam.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2014 01:57PM by NewPerfection.
Re: Z-axis Problem
March 03, 2014 10:29AM
What type of printer is this? Also, it would be better to post yours so we can show you what you did wrong. Please upload yours to www.pastebin.com and put the link here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2014 10:30AM by tjb1.
March 07, 2014 07:57AM
The type of the printer is Rostock and my current configuration.h file is looking like this [pastebin.com]

I dont use an LCD for my Printer just somehow the z axis is not working even though it should be working like all the others
March 07, 2014 10:16AM
I really hope someone can look into this since im getting desperate and dont know what to do anymore...
March 07, 2014 10:48AM
If you have a Rostock, you must use the delta-specific Configuration.h file. It even says so right at the top of the Configuration.h file that you posted:
//===========================================================================
//============================= DELTA Printer ===============================
// For a Delta printer replace the configuration files with the files in the
// example_configurations/delta directory.

You also have conflicting settings in your configuration. You have:
#define Z_MAX_POS 200
But then you also have:
#define MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS 350

Another problem is that your X, Y, and Z settings must all be identical for a delta bot:
//// MOVEMENT SETTINGS
#define NUM_AXIS 4 // The axis order in all axis related arrays is X, Y, Z, E
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE {50*60, 50*60, 4*60, 0}  // set the homing speeds (mm/min)

// default settings

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {78.7402,78.7402,200.0*8/3,760*1.1}  // default steps per unit for Ultimaker
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE          {500, 500, 5, 25}    // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION      {9000,9000,100,10000}    // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION          3000    // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION  3000   // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

// Offset of the extruders (uncomment if using more than one and relying on firmware to position when changing).
// The offset has to be X=0, Y=0 for the extruder 0 hotend (default extruder).
// For the other hotends it is their distance from the extruder 0 hotend.
// #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_X {0.0, 20.00} // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the X axis
// #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_Y {0.0, 5.00}  // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the Y axis

// The speed change that does not require acceleration (i.e. the software might assume it can be done instantaneously)
#define DEFAULT_XYJERK                20.0    // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_ZJERK                 0.4     // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_EJERK                 5.0    // (mm/sec)

It appears that you haven't done any reading on firmware setup for a delta bot. A quick Google search for "delta reprap configuration" (without the quotes) gives a ton of resources. A good place to start is RichRaps blog. Read each of his posts on delta printers: 1, 2, 3, 4. He isn't building a Rostock specifically, but his printer is the same configuration as a Rostock.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 10, 2014 12:55PM
Well thank you very much for replying and y i didnt read all about it because im fairly new to this topic. So when i do have a rostock i cant just change the normal configuration.h file? how do i get the other one then?
March 10, 2014 02:29PM
Paul Armin
So when i do have a rostock i cant just change the normal configuration.h file? how do i get the other one then?
If you have a recent version of Marlin, the firmware tells you where to get this.
//============================= DELTA Printer ===============================
// For a Delta printer replace the configuration files with the files in the
// example_configurations/delta directory.
[github.com]

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 21, 2014 06:48AM
Thank i just didnt know that Rostock is a delta printer it´s very confusing for me, because i was just given the command to build the printer as diploma thesis and i didn´t know anything about it before so its quite complicated for me.

Now I did change the configuration.h files which resulted in that errors:
Marlin_main.cpp: In function 'void calculate_delta(float*)':
Marlin_main.cpp:3105: error: 'DELTA_DIAGONAL_ROD_2' was not declared in this scope
Marlin_main.cpp:3106: error: 'DELTA_TOWER1_X' was not declared in this scope
Marlin_main.cpp:3107: error: 'DELTA_TOWER1_Y' was not declared in this scope
Marlin_main.cpp:3110: error: 'DELTA_TOWER2_X' was not declared in this scope
Marlin_main.cpp:3111: error: 'DELTA_TOWER2_Y' was not declared in this scope
Marlin_main.cpp:3114: error: 'DELTA_TOWER3_X' was not declared in this scope
Marlin_main.cpp:3115: error: 'DELTA_TOWER3_Y' was not declared in this scope

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2014 08:21AM by Paul Armin.
March 27, 2014 05:48PM
Hey i am getting more and more desperate maybe one of you could look into this.
Thanks Armin
March 31, 2014 09:10AM
Paul Armin
Hey i am getting more and more desperate maybe one of you could look into this.
Thanks Armin

Put your latest configuration.h on pastebin.

You replaced configuration.h and configuration_adv.h?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2014 09:13AM by tjb1.
April 04, 2014 08:18AM
Thank you for answering. Yes i did replace the normal configuration.h files with the delta h and adv.h files. It seems that the x and y are working fine now and I can also corecctly home both axis when somehow the z axis just isnt moving.
I disabled auto bed leveling, because my printer just has the max endstops.
here is my configuration.h file
[pastebin.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2014 08:19AM by Paul Armin.
April 04, 2014 09:57AM
Paul Armin
Thank you for answering. Yes i did replace the normal configuration.h files with the delta h and adv.h files. It seems that the x and y are working fine now and I can also corecctly home both axis when somehow the z axis just isnt moving.
I disabled auto bed leveling, because my printer just has the max endstops.
here is my configuration.h file
[pastebin.com]

Line 369

#define Z_MIN_POS -90+

Fix that and try again.

And by Z axis not working, you mean the tower with the motor connected to the Z plug is not working?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2014 09:57AM by tjb1.
April 06, 2014 01:41PM
What i mean is that when im manually controlling the axis by the pronterface and i klick z+ or z- in the pronterface z is not moving just making some noices and when I send the g28 command(home all axis) x and y are homing but z is not and just make same noices again. I dont know what to do
April 06, 2014 08:57PM
Paul Armin
What i mean is that when im manually controlling the axis by the pronterface and i klick z+ or z- in the pronterface z is not moving just making some noices and when I send the g28 command(home all axis) x and y are homing but z is not and just make same noices again. I dont know what to do

Did you do what I said???

Also, you did not answer the question... Z axis and Z motor are different on a delta...Z axis would mean all three motors move, Z motor would the tower with the motor connected to Z input on the controller.

I suggest you go learn about deltas and how the firmware is done or you are going to have no idea how it works.
April 15, 2014 10:48AM
Ok im sorry I did mean the Tower with the motor connected to z plug.
I tried what you told me but it didnt work. Nothing has really changed
April 15, 2014 07:50PM
you would be better off looking at delta bot settings and repetier host.

repetier host is the only official firmware used for delta bots by seemecnc.com. seemecnc has instructions for setting up delta bots and firmware comes setup already to work with them.

marlin firmware setup is still somewhat buggy especially when it comes to homing. i like marlin firmware but it does not work for delta bots beyond experimentation.
April 21, 2014 03:24PM
I hope someone can help me I figured out now that the printer is moving in z axis, just the z-motor is not doing anything. Maybe someone had the same problem and does know what to do against it. It would be really nice if someone could help me
April 21, 2014 07:54PM
can you post your entire firmware and let someone take a look at it. it is possible that either motor driver is not enabled, or if it is a modern board that power level for motor may not be set.

several possible errors can be addressed if we see your firmware file. thanks.
April 22, 2014 12:01PM
Hey ty for replying i dont know how i should show my entire firmware there are so many different fils but my configuration.h file now looks like this:
[pastebin.com]
April 22, 2014 02:50PM
Have you tried putting the Z motor on the X or Y axis driver and testing the motor and then putting X or Y motor on the Z driver to see if it works. If Z motor works on X or Y driver, the motor is ok. If X or Y motors do not work on the Z driver then we can narrow the issue to firmware, driver or controller. If they do not work, move the Z driver to the X or Y driver positions and then test that, if it works in the X or Y positions, your firmware or controller is to blame.
April 23, 2014 01:41AM
have you tried homing all axis, and then trying gcode
G1 Z50 F400;

to verify that it is not a limit proble turn off software limits.

360.#define min_software_endstops true // If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than HOME_POS.
361.#define max_software_endstops true // If true

change to

360.#define min_software_endstops false
361.#define max_software_endstops false

see if z starts working. other things to check are if z stepper driver is working, and motor is wired up correctly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login