Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New module in forums

Posted by sai 
sai
New module in forums
March 01, 2007 05:51AM
I have added a module that allows you to insert images inline in your forum postings now. Something like this:

You can place them wherever you like. Just attach a file as normal and click the "Place inline" button wherever you want it to appear.

For large images, it scales it down and provides a swanky zoom thing. The zoom requires flash. If that turns out to be a problem, we can switch it to just open in another browser window.
Re: New module in forums
March 01, 2007 10:32AM
very nice. it would also be nice if we could get some sort of flickr / html stuff going too... thats where i store all my images and its a pain to re-upload stuff everywhere when i could just link to it directly.
sai
March 01, 2007 04:29PM
Yes, you can insert references to images on an external site like this:

And link to your original flickr page

The way you do it is with bbcode. [en.wikipedia.org]

For example, the above was written as
[[/b]img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/402625005_ce4008d4ab.jpg?v=0[[/b]/img]
March 01, 2007 04:43PM
test

March 01, 2007 04:49PM
test again

March 01, 2007 05:53PM
nice. thats awesome!
sai
March 02, 2007 02:21AM
hmm... it kinda makes you wonder what the benefit of the blogs is smiling smiley

The forums have rss too, just like the blogs...

The nice thing about the forums is that the replies are first class citizens, just like the original postings.

Anyway, just a ponderation... I'm not suggesting actually changing anything.
March 02, 2007 10:06AM
***hmm... it kinda makes you wonder what the benefit of the blogs is smiling smiley ***

Blogs usually have a very limited number of publishers. Forums rarely do. The inability of the old forum to let newcomers and outsiders give visual suppliments to their arguments and questions was, imo, it's biggest weakness and most annoying feature.
sai
March 02, 2007 02:33PM
This forum system lets you restrict posting on any particular forum to selected groups of users, should you want to do that.

It's very versatile in fact. The most annoying thing about it seems to be the lack of a decent wysiwyg editor. When I was trying to choose the right forum system, one of the features listed was a wysiwyg addon module, but it is nowhere to be found now. Everything else seems excellent.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login