Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is my electronics broken?

Posted by jpan 
Is my electronics broken?
February 06, 2014 11:50AM
It's a long story. I was trying to solve my printing problem described in this post. The printer was connected to the computer then and the power is on. I was adjusting the current of my y-axis motor, and I accidentally touched something with the screwdriver. Then the driver of the motor sparkled in an instant. I didn't realized that it's a problem until I checked my computer after all those thing happened, I found that it disconnected by itself. The fan on my PSU was on and the LEDs on Mega and Ramps were on and everything seemed on.
However I just couldn't connect it again. I believe that the usb cable is fine. The usb cable was providing power to mega, because even when the main PSU is unplugged the led will still be on if the usb cable is connected.
When I tried to connect the printer while the usb cable is connected Printrun said:
"[ERROR] Could not connect to /dev/tty.usbmodem1411 at baudrate 115200:
Serial error: could not open port /dev/tty.usbmodem1411: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/tty.usbmodem1411' "
(115200 is my usual baudrate.)

So, is any of my parts broken? Or will the problem disappear in some time?

don't really have too much luck on this machine.........
Re: Is my electronics broken?
February 06, 2014 01:48PM
What electronics are you using? If it's a RAMPS, or something with a separate "shield", remove that shield and see if the arduino is still working.
February 06, 2014 02:48PM
Also get a ceramic screwdriver. Stops things like that happening.
February 06, 2014 03:14PM
The driver is likely dead, unplug it and I bet the board works fine. I killed a driver and had the same issue.
February 06, 2014 04:03PM
First time I just removed the stepper driver that the accident happened on. Still I couldn't connect. Then I removed RAMPS, and tried to connect, and failed.

So is my Arduino having a problem? When it's physically connected to the computer, the LED on Arduino is on though.
February 06, 2014 04:30PM
The led just mean the board is getting power, not that it's working. Yea, sounds like you fried it.
February 06, 2014 04:32PM
oh yeahsmoking smiley haha....

I'll get a replacement. Should I get just an arduino
or Ido I need ramps and stepper drivers as well?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2014 07:43PM by jpan.
February 08, 2014 09:14PM
Already ordered arduino+ramps1.4+5 stepper drivers anyways. Thanks for your helpspinning smiley sticking its tongue out!
Hope I get more luck on this project......
February 09, 2014 08:02AM
The safe way to adjust those trimpots is to do it when the 12v supply is off and the Arduino uss on. On RAMPS you'll need to have the diode installed or using Vsb. Plastic screwdriver is also a good idea.
February 12, 2014 08:20PM
ok,so here's an update:

Today my Arduino has arrived. Ramps 1.4 is still on the way. I just flashed the firmware into Arduino. Now I am able to connect. I thrown the stepper driver on which the shorts happened, and I got a new one. I plugged the new one and the other three old ones that I think are fine on the old ramps 1.4(I wanted to test if the old ramps is not working), and I connected the PSU, and everything seemed find. Then I sent a command to move a motor. The motor is connected to the board and it didn't work. Then I disconnected(both to the computer and to the PSU), removed those old stepper drivers, and did the same thing again, wanting to teat if it was just the old stepper drivers' problem, and I got the same result.

So, does that mean that my ramps 1.4 is really broken? Or the old stepper drivers still affected.
February 12, 2014 09:13PM
Did any motors work? I think i would wait until the new RAMPS arrives, or you may be buying another mega too.
February 12, 2014 11:20PM
Well this is the new Mega that I was talking about in the last post...I don't think that's broken because I'm still able to connect it to the computer. None of the motors work. I guess I'll just wait, but the storm tomorrow may hold my new Ramps for several other days ..yawning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2014 11:21PM by jpan.
February 14, 2014 03:07PM
Now everything's new, but I still cannot move my motor...
February 14, 2014 03:35PM
I am able to connect, but it stays "5 commands waiting" forever if the main PSU is connected to Ramps before it's connected to the computer. If connect Arduino first, with the main PSU unplugged, the "5 commands waiting" will disappear.

edit: I just tried marlin firmware and got the same result. (baud rate varied), but "5 commands waiting" solved.
The main PSU seems working fine, tested with 12v fan. LCD lit up. Motors should be fine, too, because the heater didn't work as well. But it is already a new ramps....

Can anyone just tell me why? Thanks A LOT! sad smiley I can't think of anything that I could have done wrong..

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2014 07:06PM by jpan.
February 14, 2014 07:43PM
Oh my god I'm really mad at this machine!
February 14, 2014 08:52PM
hold on a little bit. if it is not connecting when you have your psu on, then something is causing the usb to not connect, a power overload perhaps. Check the d1 diode, make sure continuity tests only work 1 way.

it is possible that this diode may be shorted and damaged, causing power supply voltage to power arduino chip at higher than normal voltage.

also do a quick check of all your trace routes on the bottom of board.

and are you using serial port 0 for firmware? check the basics also.

also try to power board with no polupus installed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2014 08:56PM by jamesdanielv.
Attachments:
open | download - d1ramps.jpg (169.3 KB)
February 14, 2014 10:10PM
Thanks for your reply! I have been refreshing all the time before supper.

It was connected.(sorry if i wasn't clear). I was even getting the temperature every second.
Seems like only "12v parts" are getting trouble... like 12v motor and 12v heater and 12v fan(all don't work)..... But if I connect the 12v fan directly to the PSU then it works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2014 10:22PM by jpan.
February 14, 2014 10:50PM
then it is likely a voltage regulator or the d1 diode is shorting out, causing the 12v to drop to 5v rails.
February 14, 2014 11:21PM
Here are some pictures of d1 on my ramps1.4s in the front and back.

RAMPS NO.1

Don't seem like shorting out to me...
And the other brand new ramps 1.4 that I have, which doesn't work either, is even "cleaner"(it's kinda messy on that one shown above) on the back side.

RAMPS NO.2

Thanks!
February 15, 2014 10:03AM
Ok, so is it even possible that shorting out on a stepper driver causes damage in my PSU? If so, I would order a new one and give it a try.
February 15, 2014 05:42PM
Jpan,
You seem to be throwing all kinds of parts at your printer but not looking for the root cause. The only thing that will get you is an empty wallet. Maybe you have and not documented it here, or i missed it in one of yor 3 current threads, but you should really start at the begining.
1. Does the arduino work correctly.
2. Plug the bare ramps in, no power. Does that work correctly?
3. Power the ramps(nothing connected). Does it work?
4. Plug in one driver at a time, and check.

Then if all of that works add one item at a time and see if something makes it fail.
Testing like this sucks, i know, it may be the only way you ever get things working right.
February 16, 2014 12:21PM
Haha.... I got another ATX from an old computer(from my friend) and it works Sorry I was really mad. And through checking each stepper driver I found that two of them are broken somehow. So I ordered two more stepper drivers. Think after they being installed I could start printing again.

Thank you guys! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login