Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print Strength Test Results

Posted by strantor 
Print Strength Test Results
February 03, 2014 09:30PM
Q: Who?
A: For now, just me, Strantor, but I cordially invite you all to jump in and give it a shot.
Q: What?
A: Refer to title
Q: Why?
A: see thread: Why does it seem few care about print strength and how to compare it?
Q: How?
A: See video: A Method for Strength Testing 3D Printed Parts

I'm uploading my files, so you don't have to ask. If you're scared of the boogeyman that lurks in XLS and INI files, then don't open them. I promise I'm not here to infest you with a virus; I obviously have other goals in mind.

Raw test data and graphs are in the XLS file.

TEST 3FEB14

First results are in. ABS Vs. Taulman Nylon 645 Vs. Taulman T-glase clear.

Printed in room temp (20C) with no cooling fan. Testing carried out in the garage at 7C.

I tried to print all 3 test sets using the same slicer config (ABS100mms.ini) so as to be more of a direct comparison. T-glase would not print @ 100mm/s, so he got his own slicer config (tglase.ini).

Notice T-Glase piece C outperformed everybody? This was highly unexpected; piece C is supposed to be the weakest in this test. I did not use a cooling fan and piece C was absolutely hideous. It was not square, and barely resembled my test piece. Because piece C was printed so hot and without cooling, the layer adhesion was..., well, actually it seemed as if there were no layers. It was as a solid piece of plastic. When it broke, I inspected the break and it did not separate between layers; in fact, I could not discern layers at all on the inside.

Nylon 645 Piece A actually broke my 5/32" allen wrench.

More tests to come...
Next tests, with parts printed in heated enclosure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2014 09:35PM by strantor.
Attachments:
open | download - tglase.ini (2.9 KB)
open | download - ABS100mms.ini (2.9 KB)
open | download - 3d print testing.xlsx (31.4 KB)
Re: Print Strength Test Results
February 03, 2014 09:31PM
Placeholder for future test results
another Placeholder for future test results
another nother Placeholder for future test results
February 03, 2014 09:32PM
another nother nother Placeholder for future test results
February 10, 2014 08:02PM
thanks for the info! most people seem to be ok with abs and pla but for radio control parts test are needed for strength. this is a great starting point ill be checking back.
March 31, 2014 09:02AM
Nice work, I will definitely check back here!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login