Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outa replacement for peek (solved)

Posted by blackline 
spinning smiley sticking its tongue outa replacement for peek (solved)
January 28, 2014 07:48AM
Hello everyone,
am totally new to the forum, but follow and do many years experimenting with 3D printing, i have a flooring company, and so access to all types of wood, tried many types
i think I've found a nice solution to peek. I will post a few pictures, and if there is a demand and people are interested, i will make a blog with how I do it or I will answer the questions here

greetings Blackline

Re: spinning smiley sticking its tongue outa replacement for peek (solved)
January 28, 2014 08:26AM
Are you putting any kind of lining on the inside? What is the operating temperature range?

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
January 28, 2014 09:12AM
There are various issues with using wood. Each species of wood will have it's own dimensional instabilities based on temperature, moisture content, and grain structure. Charring and possibly combustion is also a risk with wood. Some woods will start to char as low as 120°C and the autoignition temperature for most woods is in the 190°-260°C range. Compare that to PEEK which is 595°C.
January 28, 2014 12:01PM
yes gmh39, i use PTFE/Teflon Tubing/Pipe OD 5mm ID 3mm Tubing on the inside, the temperature i test it whas 196° to 260° i use single-head cartridge heater from ebay

and yes there are issues with wood, but not with this wood, i don't now how about your info, but PEEK have a cont. bout 220° and a peak of 330°

i have 3x 3d printers thats working with this wood, the wood is IPE and it works like helll winking smiley and cheap.

IPE Wood is naturally resists rot, decay, insects, and mold without the use of toxic chemicals. It is naturally fire resistant and has been awarded an 'A1' rating, like metal
January 28, 2014 12:14PM
IPE wood... Hmm, interesting, since all wood types I've tried in hotends all charred and fell apart in a matter of minutes to hours. Let's read up on this! smiling smiley
A2
January 28, 2014 01:43PM
Lignum Vitae is regarded by most to be both the heaviest and hardest wood in the world.

I think Lignum Vitae is equal to or better than Ipe.
I have a small piece for display.

Physical Properties:
Hardness: 4,500 lbf (20,020 N)
Rupture Strength: 17,760 lbf /in2 (122,490 kPa)
Basic Specific Gravity: 1.02
Elastic Strength: 2,304,000 lbf/in2 (15,890MPa)

[en.wikipedia.org]
January 28, 2014 02:28PM
that will certainly be, and probably easily machinable, i am dutchman, so ipe wood it more reach for me. you can make a lot of one shelf
January 28, 2014 04:31PM
blackline
and yes there are issues with wood, but not with this wood, i don't now how about your info, but PEEK have a cont. bout 220° and a peak of 330°
Here: Section 5: Autoignition Temperature: 1103 F./ 595 C

It will have turned into a puddle of goo by the time it reaches that temperature, but it will not have burned.

It is naturally fire resistant and has been awarded an 'A1' rating, like metal
I'm not sure what your source is for a A1 rating. I can't find an authorative source, as in non-marketing literature or posts on various forums that can substantiate that Ipe has that rating. I'm not even sure what an A1 (or also seen as A-1) means. Maybe it's a national or European rating. Here in the US, we have a NFPA rating of just "A" which indicates it has minimal flame spread. An A-rating doesn't mean it won't combust. Gypsum board (aka drywall) for instance also has an A rating. If it's wood, it will burn, period. It isn't likely to catch fire with just a spark or a standard match for instance. But put a enough of a constant heat source under or next to it for a long period of time and it most defintiely will start to char or otherwise deteriorate. Here is a discussion elsewhere with people discussing how hot Ipe burns in their wood stoves.

Do whatever you want. I just don't think it's a great idea to suggest/recommend using a wood for that particular use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2014 04:38PM by cdru.
January 28, 2014 06:18PM
Well, everything burns if you heat it long enough!

If Ipe is "wood", then PEEK is "plastic", so it's no different to recommending "plastic" for the hot end.

I mean, who make their hot end from plastic? Crazy. Plastic emits toxic fumes even, unlike wood.

I'd quite like a "wooden" hot end anyway smiling smiley

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
Anonymous User
January 28, 2014 07:02PM

Try one of these threaded inserts instead of threading the wood directly. Mc-Mastercarr # 95596A600. I works well. I did this for a while, but I'm paranoid about fires.

Also, techzone did this a while back. I think they went out of business though.
http://reprap.org/wiki/TechZone_Tip_Assembly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2014 07:47PM by ohioplastics.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login