Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Differnce between a reprap machine and Rapman machine?

Posted by NoZ2 
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew the main differnces between the repman and the reprap machines? I was going to wait for one of the sellers to have the reprap electronics in stock as I cant really do PCB's by myself but they havn't been in stock for a long while now. So i took anouther look at the repman machine and although I can see it only uses one pcb I cant really tell the differnces in electronics.

I think in the end of the day im wondering if its better to wait for the reprap third generation bits or just get the makerbot electronics? As i would like to add to add some more toolheads and play around with code etc to make it better suited to my needs.

Any comments would be appriated

thankyou for your time

NoZ
Re: Differnce between a reprap machine and Rapman machine?
October 14, 2009 10:20AM
You only want to know the differences of the electronics or the whole machine?
The Rapman has only a single PCB which has afaik room for one extra extruder. The generation 3 electronics used in RepRap and Makerbot are more modular using an Arduino like system.
The RapMan electronics work standalone, you pop in an SD card with Gcode and print, The others I dont know if you can do standalone, only have experience with Rapman.
There is a another source selling electronics: www.reprapsource.com.
I thought the makerbot electronics = third generation electronics no? Both done by Zach Smith...

As far as the whole machine goes. The Rapman is based on and very close to RepRap. Its a bit stronger/more robust build to allow a dremel like drill to be used for CNC work. Build area is also a bit larger. The printhead is screw drive as opposed to the newer pinchwheel design on the Makerbot.
October 14, 2009 10:33AM
Quick lookup/followup:

-Gen. 3 electronics IS THE SAME as Makerbot electronics

-reprapsource.com seams to be providing gen.2 electronics

[www.reprapsource.com]
=
[dev.www.reprap.org]
If you want GEN3 you will need to get the Makerbot bits. Gen 2 is more commenly available
Makerbot hasn't had any stock for a couple of months now I think for gen 3, I would like to purchase off them but I have no idea when they will have new stock. If they had due dates I would be happier.

I think I'll wait a bit longer for makerbot, I think its probably better to be patent for gen 3 parts then just buy gen 2 parts? Also thanks for the comments on the mechanics, but im building my own, although at the moment ive only got some screw threads and 1mX1mX1m box of angle iron.

many thanks

NoZ
October 14, 2009 11:55AM
In that case I would just build the machine and do the electronics in the end no?
October 14, 2009 03:18PM
Makerbot had the stepper drivers (assembled) is stock a couple of days ago. AFAIK, you can use an arudino mega instead of the motherboard. You'll have to do some connectors, but it should be a good substitute for everything else.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login